When is too Windy to Fly?

[emoji1][emoji106][emoji106]

***edit*** Wow, just read the rest of the comments. Alot of folks here no nothing of flux capacitors or time travel, do they?!??

Nope they don’t know squat about reaching the magical 88mph,
I kinda thought a lot of folks here were around in that era
[/QUOTE]
This 2nd flight with p4s when it was new,,,after few updates etc speed never the same,,it seemed every update gave something and took something in return (speed),this pic from years ago from a capped speed post ,,now it seems what we see for speed is never correct back then till this day,,if these phantoms so clever why's the speedo out,,,is the wheels wrong size to calculate this,this is like the debate that never end,,,been flying for a while and we know when things slow down or speed up,my p4 was great,but after updates etc I could never get past 59.4,so yes still ongoing issues with this method of calculating speed,p3s is now a scooter,,putts around the sky holding up traffic,almost ready to do mods from nom for uncapped speed and restrictions just to have some fun again,,,my 2 cents on that:)
Screenshot_20190422-092639.jpg

Reactions: trevornewkirk
He was pointing out that it displays speed over the ground and not airspeed.
So those kind of speed attempts are only an indication of who has hitched a ride on the fastest wind.
Ohok , yes thats the way it works I had a top speed of 73.6 mph in Atti mode so I look at it as I had about a 30 mph tailwing helping me alomg, but the bottom line is the P4P went 73.6 mph in Atti mode..

Ah so if no wind speed is corect and if windy it's just estimated speed,confused speed I post above was at night Carm sky's,,,,this one area that annoys me,,that's halve the reason I buy phantoms,,speed to move and explore fast,next drone may as well be a syma toy drone,,if speed incorrect why have it,it just bogs up app and if we questioned on it it's allways in corect,,what up with that,,clearly says it's doing that speed and why do we trust other readings if the speed in corect,,,oh I could talk all day on this but won't spam the forum,,this already gone off topic a bit,but does fit the postings,,:),,,and if vps off how does it calculate ground speed? Airspeed ?

Ah so if no wind speed is corect and if windy it's just estimated speed,confused speed I post above was at night Carm sky's,,,,this one area that annoys me,,that's halve the reason I buy phantoms,,speed to move and explore fast,next drone may as well be a syma toy drone,,if speed incorrect why have it,it just bogs up app and if we questioned on it it's allways in corect,,what up with that,,clearly says it's doing that speed and why do we trust other readings if the speed in corect,,,oh I could talk all day on this but won't spam the forum,,this already gone off topic a bit,but does fit the postings,,:),,,and if vps off how does it calculate ground speed? Airspeed ?
The speed is correct Ian , some folks just enjoy saying things and try to complicate things that others do if their not into it ...
If the copter does 45mph in Atti mode and speed you get above that is the wind , Airlines travel the globe with wind assistance all the time and its cheaper for them instead of fighting it , and their speeds are their speeds just like the Phantoms...
You gave me something to aim for now, 78.3, BRAVO ... you got me bet by about 5 mph...

Before summers out I'll bust 80 mph , all i need is one good storm:):):)
thumbnail_IMG_1203.jpg

Last edited:
The speed is correct Ian , some folks just enjoy saying things and try to complicate things that others do if their not into it ...
If the copter does 45mph in Atti mode and speed you get above that is the wind , Airlines travel the globe with wind assistance all the time and its cheaper for them instead of fighting it , and their speeds are their speeds just like the Phantoms...
You gave me something to aim for now, 78.3, BRAVE ... you got me bet by about 5 mph...

Before summers out I'll bust 80 mph , all i need is one good storm:):):)

This is an example of the forum big issue about reconciling people with a completely different mindset, someone ask for a safety question and eventually we get people trying to break some kind of drone speed record and all the fun about it.
Fact is wind is the main external factor in any serious operation and it is a science on itself. Drones are like mosquitos in front of a fan. Ground level wind has nothing to do with AGL wind and you can still apply safety margins everywhere. Go for force 4, 15 mph or about 22 km/h. gusts. More is no problem if you have plenty of money to burn. At 100 metres height or over a clift your moderate ground breeze can get certainly interesting. Look for speed trends. Also get yourself trained for these limit winds often, easy peasy is not the norm but the exception.

Last edited:
This is an example of the forum big issue about reconciling people with a completely different mindset, someone ask for a safety question and eventually we get people trying to break some kind of drone speed record and all the fun about it.
Fact is wind is the main external factor in any serious operation and it is a science on itself. Drones are like mosquitos in front of a fan. Ground level wind has nothing to do with AGL wind and you can still apply safety margins everywhere. Go for force 4, 15 mph or about 22 km/h. gusts. More is no problem if you have plenty of money to burn. At 100 metres height or over a clift your moderate ground breeze can get certainly interesting. Look for speed trends. Also get yourself trained for these limit winds often, easy peasy is not the norm but the exception.

But you think your words of wisdom “drones are like mosquitos in front of a fan.”apply to the OP’s original comment more than other people’s

I’d say your more of the problem then any one else here by trying to start something over nothing .

Get a life

"Tossed around like a ragdoll" is a dramatic exaggeration, 18 mph winds are high but not high enough to ground me , when I want to do high speed passes I go out in 20-30 mph winds frequently I simply find a calmer place to launch and land usually behind my truck of something that blocks the wind a few feet from the ground...

Fly upwind at a low altitude 50 ft. for about two miles then go up to 200-250 ft flip it in Atti mode and then come flying back with a 30+mph tailwind and see what your speedo says [emoji851]
( only do this when not flying over populated areas)

I m stilling trying to hit 88 mph [emoji51]
Trying to get back to the Future are you?

But you think your words of wisdom “drones are like mosquitos in front of a fan.”apply to the OP’s original comment more than other people’s

I’d say your more of the problem then any one else here by trying to start something over nothing .

Get a life

Yes, in high winds drones are like mosquitos in front of a fan, they can not hold position or trajectory. Also I was merely reflecting here what it is commented in this thread. You are the ones doing off topic since most of your answers have nothing to do with the OP’s original comment.

Yes, in high winds drones are like mosquitos in front of a fan, they can not hold position or trajectory. Also I was merely reflecting here what it is commented in this thread. You are the ones doing off topic since most of your answers have nothing to do with the OP’s original comment.

Do you even own a DJI drone ? While in GPS mode they hold there position to within a few inches in Atti mode they’re at the mercy of the wind ...
Perhaps your confusing DJI’s offering to your Walmart purchase’s...

• Angry
Reactions: chascoadmin
Good morning @HerronSkyView! Part 107 mapper in Leander, TX here. I have a couple of scenarios that I end up using. If I want to free-fly or just take snapshots I cap at about 20/50mph sustained/gusts. Professional video and mapping 15/30. Mapping is tough because if you are flying autonomously you can't stick ahead to compensate. Because of the stupid way the P4P spins up - it gets light and just tips over. Mapping also requires the most accurate Geotags you can get so gusts are no bueno.

50 mph gusts ? yes please, the less morons flying the more work for serious pilots

Get a life
Do you even own a DJI drone ? While in GPS mode they hold there position to within a few inches in Atti mode they’re at the mercy of the wind ...
Perhaps your confusing DJI’s offering to your Walmart purchase’s...

I had a real estate job today in Dripping Springs, TX and the wind was 18mph. I used my P4P, but it was tossed around like a rag doll. I was very uncomfortable flying which such high wind.

What do you all call a cutoff for wind speeds to high for flying?

Thanks,
Dan Herron

So when it comes to making money with your drone, wind is something that just needs to be negotiated as its really a constant for pilots.

Trying to pigeon hole wind speed for a cut off point is not going to make you money so here are a few tips that might help you get the job done.

Cut a small piece of foam to slip behind the camera so it wont flip so easy in the wind, it wont hurt the camera as long you you dont try to make any camera movements with the drone.

You can position the Camera each time to a different angle with the foam part behind the camera, Such as forward, straight down.

This will allow you the best chance to capture some clean footage with the drone under stress.

Once you stop the gimbal from flipping , you will have more confidence to fly your drone and get the job done.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your drone in and out of the Storm
Coal

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie