Newbie need help fully understanding rules

Reaction score
Hello guys. I recently just bought a phantom 4 pro. There are a few rules that I just need some help with before I go out and get myself in trouble or do something wrong by accident. I am a hobbyist

When I call an airport within 5 miles am I just letting them know I’m gonna be flying near by? I’m asking permission correct.

What about private air strips on farms and ranches... if I call whatever number is listed and they don’t answer.

Can you get permission to fly in state refuges or are they indefinitely forbidden? Same question goes for forest wilderness areas.

Sorry I’m a rookie so it’s I’d rather ask the pros before I get myself into some trouble. Thanks everyone fly safe!

You are not required to get permission, only notify them. They can object (on the grounds that its a safety issue) but they cannot stop you from flying. However, if they tell you it's a safety issue that will be considered if the FAA stops by. I've never had an airport raise an issue. I've never heard of that being done.

Per Section 336, you need to call any airport, which is pretty much where aircraft land and take off. With that said, do I call heliports that are just take off pads? No. At any give time if I fly in my local park I'm within 5 miles of 8 helipads (hospitals). You are required to call... but I do not. I just don't fly that high or out too far.

You can always ask for permission. In my experience if there is a ban on drones you will seldom get that permission.

Going out on a limb (you can search here for the answer) certain (all?) wilderness areas ban motorized vehicles. That includes drones. Someone will correct me if I don't remember that correctly.

Well that’s all good stuff to know about the airports. I don’t plan on flying close enough to interfere where they might tell me not to fly.

I guess if i ask a refuge the worst they can say is no!
Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl