Whats wrong with this picture?

Reaction score
My new P3P - not sure what the problem is...the camera settings are all on automatic (AWB), but the picture seems incredibly white washed. Does it look like I've got a bad camera, or do I need to tweak some settings? My original one (before it crashed - separate thread) was flawless as far as the video. Thoughts? Should I swap this one out through my Amazon return policy?

Attachments

• DJI_0003_MOV.jpg
    DJI_0003_MOV.jpg
    852.3 KB · Views: 578
  • Banners_and_Alerts_and_DJI_0003_MOV.jpg
    Banners_and_Alerts_and_DJI_0003_MOV.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 600
Turn the dial at the top right of your controller. That adjust the light balance while recording. You can also experiment with the other camera settings. Press the FN on the right of the screen in DJI pilot

Reactions: Australis5
Thanks. Maybe I'm thinking about this in terms of a digital camera too much. On my DSLR, if you want to adjust white balance, you have to come out of Auto mode which does everything for you, and go to a more manual or creative mode. On the Phantom then, I guess I can be in AWB (Auto White Balance) and I can still move that dial on the top right to tweak the white balance, yet it stays in that auto mode. I'll try it tomorrow when the sun is back up, but I did tweak that dial settings on the 4th to try and capture better firework pics - so maybe thats whats up here. I just assumed it would neutralize itself back to normal settings when powered back on since it was in AWB. Sounds like it still retains that manual white balance setting I may have changed?

Hard to tell from this post but I get the impression you are confusing white balance with Auto exposure.
White balance is about adjusting for the colour of the light source you are shooting with and AWB should be fine for most.
The images you posted are simply overexposed and this has nothing to do with white balance.
Keep an eye on your exposure settings in the blue ribbon here.
EV0 means the exposure should be about right but if you accidentally changed things you could set your camera to overexpose. In that case it would be indicating something like EV+1.7
i-kGtmQ4G-M.png

Hard to tell from this post but I get the impression you are confusing white balance with Auto exposure.
White balance is about adjusting for the colour of the light source you are shooting with and AWB should be fine for most.
The images you posted are simply overexposed and this has nothing to do with white balance.
Keep an eye on your exposure settings in the blue ribbon here.
EV0 means the exposure should be about right but if you accidentally changed things you could set your camera to overexpose. In that case it would be indicating something like EV+1.7
i-kGtmQ4G-M.png

You are absolutely right. It was on EV+1.7. Problem solved! I've been so focused on operating the Phantom correctly and getting comfortable with it since I've gotten it, that I haven't really dove into the camera settings too deeply yet. Thanks for the help!

Yep, I had the same issues in while getting used to the settings. A couple of turns on the right wheel either way usual sorts things out dependant on light or dark issues

Why not practicing while the phantom is on the ground, a table or in your hand. So you have all the time to experiment with the settings and see what the results are and getting confidence in the controls.
Make pictures/video's with different ambient lighting conditions. See what happens if you photograph in soft ambient light and in hard light conditions. With much less light, against the sun, backlight and so on.

Your camera will act in the same way when it is high up in the air.

And if you making pictures, shoot in DNG/Raw please.

Enable the histogram and do a little reading and learn to use it. Great tool when shooting with DSLR and equally as beneficial when shooting with the phantom. You could try the overexposure warning but I found it distracting as it just created many lines across the entire screen when overexposed. At first I confused it with having a poor signal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.