Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

What's maximum power of 900mhz have you used on Phantom 2?

Discussion in 'FPV (First Person View)' started by VoicOfReason, Oct 31, 2014.

1. VoicOfReason

I want to get a sense of what is maximum amount of power I can use for a 900mhz video transmitter mounted to the Phantom 2 (non-vision). I've seen some videos on YouTube of 800mw being used. But, has anyone gone higher than that (e.g. 1000mw or 1500mw) on a Phantom 2? I don't want to introduce radio interference with the 2.4ghz radio control. Thanks!

2. QYV

QYV

Re: What's maximum power of 900mhz have you used on Phantom

any particular reason you aren't doing your FPV in the 5.8Ghz band like most of us? a 500-600mW transmitter with premium antennas can exceed the operational range of a P2 on a single battery, so there's no reason to throw more powerful transmitters at it.

3. VoicOfReason

Yes, first of all, I've already tried 5.8ghz and I've got great range. I have a 2000mw Boscam video transmitter. And, in order to keep up with the video, I installed a 2000mw 2.4ghz RC booster by modifying my Phantom controller. My problem is that if even a tree gets in the way or I want to fly down a little lower, I don't have good signal, even at 2000mw, and that's a huge amount of video power. I've already tried different antennas. I tried helical, SpiroNet, Patch antenna, in different configuations, and even a Black Pearl Diversity LCD receiver. I know 900mhz does better with obstacles, so that's why I want to know, if you want to know.

Now, back to the question...

:)

4. QYV

QYV

I suspect it's your antennas but you're right that lower frequencies do better with penetration so...
    to answer your question you've already run a 2000mW transmitter on the Phantom, just switching that transmitter from 5.8Ghz to 900Mhz still shouldn't interfere with your 2.4Ghz control signal

5. VoicOfReason

Cool! Good to know. I've gone out over a mile with my current setup with 2000mw video transmitter. So, I guess I'll have to report back here once I install it and test it out. I am planning on taking off the props and then going a long distance and making sure RC interference doesn't exist. I'm thinking about buying a SMA extension cable so I can mount the 900mhz antenna below one of the props as far away from the 2.4ghz as possible. This should be fun.

So, if I DO get RC interference, is the Phantom 2 smart enough to just execute a RTH, or will it fly around sporadically in circles?

6. VoicOfReason

... I'm sure I could go more a lot more than a mile currently, it's just all that I've happened to do so far. Only owned the Phantom for 3 months.

7. VoicOfReason

Well, now I know. A 1000mw, not even as high as a 1500mw, 900mhz transmitter will knock out GPS the second it is turned on. This is even with a tin-foil modification to the GPS to shield it from underneath. I even tried a different antenna on the Tx and wrapped the transmitter itself in tinfoil, but not luck. I'm going to try a 500mw next.