What would the FAA say to this?

Reaction score
While browsing a thedronenews site they highlighted a video from Miami. It looks to be from a large drone company (Drone Nerds) that has a big youtube channel. I would expect them to be a bit more responsible. For what its worth the port of Miami is actually not part of the surface class b.

So lets start counting all the rules broken...
1. No operations from a moving vehicle unless the operation is over a sparsely populated area.
2. Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, and not inside a covered stationary vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hounddog
Check out the videos Apple uses for its screen savers on its AppleTV. Flying over people, flying over expressways filled with traffic, flying at night, flying beyond line of site, flying directly over operating international airport ...

The production of the Apple images has been publicized and stated they used both helicopters and drones.

That along with being professionally produced would cast doubt on any FAA violations.

Last edited:
Yes, some are foreign locations.

Reactions: BigAl07
Oh jeez man are you people really that bored... ask drone nerds themselves....why are people so worried about other people....and i know i know it will affect our hobby.. come on op get out and do something like fly, or whatever it is u do...instead of counting the rules broken on some randoms video

Oh jeez man are you people really that bored... ask drone nerds themselves....why are people so worried about other people....and i know i know it will affect our hobby.. come on op get out and do something like fly, or whatever it is u do...instead of counting the rules broken on some randoms video

You don't HAVE to comment on a thread if you don't have anything positive to add.

think-jpg.98635

Im pretty sure I could find fault with every single video posted,. We all could., The Question is should we ?

Do you know how many times someone took the time to tell us that are drone may get hit by lightning wile flying in the Rain. its a knee jerk reaction for many to let us know and to scream about it.

My point is this , cars, planes, trains, elevators, bikes, are all calculated risks of death that will in fact occur , how are drones any different ,

Drones are the future and death is coming, The responsibility will be up to the pilot and not the drone , this has got to be accepted.

If i want to go 80 mph in a 65 , I have the right to break the law , as everyone does.

I am not sure how drones are any different, but for some reason, the obsession to be fly safe has gotten out of control , and posting a video leads to things like, ohhhhhh you need to be careful of the rare plant you landed on.. blah blah blah, ,,

We posted a video of a drone in the Storm geared up with the Phantom Rain Wet Suit and the world came to an end.

Hundreds of posts about Lightning , fire, electrocution. electrical lines , Transformers Risk to the neighbors, dogs , cats and rabbits, people , Its just a Knee jerk reaction for people to point out danger.

So the question is did we have the Right to fly the drone ? Did we have the right to make a calculated risk ? Did we risk life ? DId we risk the Neighbors life ?

You see most of us can rip are own videos apart , we dont need anyone to do it , and yet by god, some cannot help themselves. See for yourself the video that brought in the world safety council , lol

Reactions: Dwilliams35
While browsing a thedronenews site they highlighted a video from Miami. It looks to be from a large drone company (Drone Nerds) that has a big youtube channel. I would expect them to be a bit more responsible. For what its worth the port of Miami is actually not part of the surface class b.

1. No operations from a moving vehicle unless the operation is over a sparsely populated area.
2. Small unmanned aircraft may not operate over any persons not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, and not inside a covered stationary vehicle.

The first part was done nicely ... nice cinematic shots and done while flying over water. Then the pilot got to the point of making a clear statement "rules apply to everyone else but me". Drone enthusiasts and industry leaders need to work toward creating more compliant attitudes before more restrictions come our way.

Why do you think this was not a hobby (non commercial) flight?

It’s been debated before, putting a video on YouTube is commercial use, YouTube is making money on advertising. FAA has made a statement regarding posting on YouTube The FAA Says You Can't Post Drone Videos on YouTube

If the pilot was operating under hobby rules then he would need to “Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines” which includes “Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.”

It’s been debated before, putting a video on YouTube is commercial use, YouTube is making money on advertising. FAA has made a statement regarding posting on YouTube The FAA Says You Can't Post Drone Videos on YouTube
That article is from 2015. Since that time the FAA has reviewed their actions and publicly stated that they will not go after people who post on Youtube.

However, even is you ignore the FAA's official stance, making money does not automatically mean you are under Part 107... it simply means you are in violation of Section 336. In full disclosure, this has been debated in past threads and there is a difference of opinion about this. I take this stance as violating one part of Section 336 should not automatically move you over to Part 107 where you could then be in violation of many regulations. You did one thing wrong... under Section 336.

But it appears that there is no indication that the person is in violation of Part 107 as mentioned, only possibly not flying in a safe manner. Link to a video... I'll point out how it was not "safe". If we are going to start to do this... let's just condemn all video taken from a drone.

The first part was done nicely ... nice cinematic shots and done while flying over water. Then the pilot got to the point of making a clear statement "rules apply to everyone else but me". Drone enthusiasts and industry leaders need to work toward creating more compliant attitudes before more restrictions come our way.

I think you Nailed it when you said all this safety nonsense is about trying to stop more restrictions on drones from being implemented , and that makes way more sense than for peoples safety. So now we can face the truth, everyone is flying with fear that more restrictions are coming, so seeing videos like Miami really brings on the Fear and thus the safety councils.

All of it makes sense now, ,I just wish I could be that naive and think that if were all good , they will leave us alone. lol

This is all going to slowly trickle down into money.
If you want to fly at 100 ft , going to be $10 a month, 200 ft $60 a month. ect. This is how they are going to control and regulate, and that is the way we have been doing it since man created the Speed Limit.

And of course the money your going to pay for commercial , industrial, hobby, demo, ect just more money to paid out soon.

Nothing is going to stop this from happening in the future .... you see my friends if this was about safety, than there would not be 25 updates a year, with each update risking your drone and crashing and into someone.

Right now everyone is just fighting for where the big money is going to come from. The FAA desperately wants there share. DJI wants something monthly, The city would also like something the writing this to happen is in are history> Its going to happen sooner than you think.

Until than , try not to stress your self over the safety issues and regulations and enjoy the freedom you have now without tearing each others video flights apart . .

I think you Nailed it when you said all this safety nonsense is about trying to stop more restrictions on drones from being implemented , and that makes way more sense than for peoples safety. So now we can face the truth, everyone is flying with fear that more restrictions are coming, so seeing videos like Miami really brings on the Fear and thus the safety councils.

All of it makes sense now, ,I just wish I could be that naive and think that if were all good , they will leave us alone. lol

This is all going to slowly trickle down into money.
If you want to fly at 100 ft , going to be $10 a month, 200 ft $60 a month. ect. This is how they are going to control and regulate, and that is the way we have been doing it since man created the Speed Limit.

And of course the money your going to pay for commercial , industrial, hobby, demo, ect just more money to paid out soon.

Nothing is going to stop this from happening in the future .... you see my friends if this was about safety, than there would not be 25 updates a year, with each update risking your drone and crashing and into someone.

Right now everyone is just fighting for where the big money is going to come from. The FAA desperately wants there share. DJI wants something monthly, The city would also like something the writing this to happen is in are history> Its going to happen sooner than you think.

Until than , try not to stress your self over the safety issues and regulations and enjoy the freedom you have now without tearing each others video flights apart . .

LOL.

Its the FAA Police, How did u get this job? Please post application process. Thanks

And so. Look at tbe holier then Thou preachers again. Get a life and leaf other people alone. Instead of bitching here why not report it or even better join the law keepers then you can really have a swing at these people that destroy humanity

And so. Look at tbe holier then Thou preachers again. Get a life and leaf other people alone. Instead of bitching here why not report it or even better join the law keepers then you can really have a swing at these people that destroy humanity

One could argue that...
The folks who don’t like drones flying over their house, AND capturing images behind their legacy privacy devices, a fence, would wish those drone operators would:
‘Get a life and leaf other people alone.’ too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl