What will happen on Jan. 7 now?? Is there MORE??

creston_pv said:
Morgan 1983 said:
... I'm hoping a bracket like what rotorpixle has created will be made so the Vision camera can be mounted to the Zenmuse.

Something similar already exists: the DJI Phantom Vision Camera Gimbal from Drone Experts in Netherlands.

http://droneexperts.nl

Looks like a well made product ... thinking of getting one in a couple of months. Impressive demo video on site showing two Phantoms flying together, one with their gimbal, one with the stock gimbal on a windy day.

I like the latest video but it's unfortunately outta my price range by a few hundred$

Well, the good news is that there is a third-party 2D gimbal going to be available for the Vision sooner or later. I want to keep using the stock Phantom FC-200 camera but really would like to change to a 2D gimbal for better photography. Yes, I think the Drone Experts one is somewhat overpriced considering the 2D gimbals appearing for the GoPro are showing up for less than 200 USD.

That is great news...it will force the existing ones from Netherlands to lower their price ( which is over the top). Where can I get more info. On this new 3rd party gimbal?? Name??

Yes - Auckland. I started a thread
Go to : regional meet ups< International<. New Zealand
You will see Klaus there
On the FAcebook DJI. phantom 2 Vision page there is a guy from Northland : Christopher Maca

Hope you having some good flying down South

:)

Ray

CES 2014 starts tomorrow. No new information? I can hardly wait another 24 hours to find out if there are any new surprises.

My fingers are crossed forany of these,

-firmware update to vision for better upgradability
-3 axis gopro gimbal
-vision gimbal
-groundstation.

hulihee said:
CES 2014 starts tomorrow. No new information? I can hardly wait another 24 hours to find out if there are any new surprises.

-3 axis gopro gimbal
-vision gimbal
-groundstation.

ground station they have. firmware is what we are waiting on. maybe they will give us a solid date for that release but doubt it

I can't see them making a vision gimbal, if you want a gimbal you can get a P2 with zenmuse

3 axis zenmuse is very possible but will not be cheap

A new iosd/fpv setup that connects to your iPhone would be nice. The benefit of the P2 and zenmuse with the FPV ease of the Vision. Thats the next step of evolution.

I could see them making some type of fpv iphone solution like you said. But will there ever be a way to conrol the gopro remotely? It seems to me that they would need to partner with gopro to make something like that work...

they're gonna make a 802.11a (5ghz) FPV\camera solution in a gopro hero form-factor, so it can be a drop-in IP camera replacement for all non Vision\FC-40 Phantoms :)

Ksc said:
hulihee said:

-3 axis gopro gimbal
-vision gimbal
-groundstation.

ground station they have. firmware is what we are waiting on. maybe they will give us a solid date for that release but doubt it

I can't see them making a vision gimbal, if you want a gimbal you can get a P2 with zenmuse

A new iosd/fpv setup that connects to your iPhone would be nice. The benefit of the P2 and zenmuse with the FPV ease of the Vision. Thats the next step of evolution.

Not to come across too annoyed. But your last little wish is exactly what all of us existing P2V owners would actually have if they released a gimbal. Also, every time someone buys a goPro, that's money DJI isn't making. They need to support the Vision.

Also, the Vision is the ideal platform to release a new stabilized gimbal for....for all the obvious reasons. I honestly don't get why I see the same sentiment repeated over and over again. The vision will be a pointless experiment if they don't support an upgrade path, they have dev costs for the OSD/vision system. They invested in their own ecosystem.....not just to provide us early adopters a cute toy, as many people seem to think. Many P2V owners are just as serious and as deserving of a new gimbal option as anyone else.

If they iterate the zenmuse again for gopro owners and don't support visions owners (which shouldn't be hard) then I would question their business plan.

Again, this is not meant to be snarky just at you.....rather everyone who has seem to dismiss the P2V because they just have to have another gimbal option for an already well gimballed platform.

See what I'm saying?

Magnumb said:
Ksc said:
hulihee said:

-3 axis gopro gimbal
-vision gimbal
-groundstation.

Not to come across too annoyed. But your last little wish is exactly what all of us existing P2V owners would actually have if they released a gimbal. Also, every time someone buys a goPro, that's money DJI isn't making. They need to support the Vision.

Also, the Vision is the ideal platform to release a new stabilized gimbal for....for all the obvious reasons. I honestly don't get why I see the same sentiment repeated over and over again. The vision will be a pointless experiment if they don't support an upgrade path, they have dev costs for the OSD/vision system. They invested in their own ecosystem.....not just to provide us early adopters a cute toy, as many people seem to think. Many P2V owners are just as serious and as deserving of a new gimbal option as anyone else.

If they iterate the zenmuse again for gopro owners and don't support visions owners (which shouldn't be hard) then I would question their business plan.

Again, this is not meant to be snarky just at you.....rather everyone who has seem to dismiss the P2V because they just have to have another gimbal option for an already well gimballed platform.

See what I'm saying?

I see what you are saying. But gopro invests its money into R&D for better cameras. DJI invests its money into better flights. I don't think you'll see a better camera from DJI (they don't make the vision camera). If they do have a gimbal for the vision, I could see it being a Vision 2 but then you have the issue you just explained, early adopters will be pissed. The vision is supposed to be as plug and play fly out of the box as it comes. I should be able to give my mother an iPhone and Vision and he can fly it with no problem. That is DJIs whole purpose of the vision. If they make a gimbal they are admitting that it needs a gimbal and also taking away from the plug and play factor. If they come out with a Vision 2 with the gimbal, they are improving their platform.

long story short, I don't see how DJI can win if they add a gimbal to the Vision.

I think you are overthinking it.....

Re the vision camera, I do understand it's main components are not made by them, but they had to do the R&D to fully integrate it, do case/mount design etc. there is a cost for all of this. They could in theory choose to release better and better cameras.

The idea that releasing a gimbal for the vision 2 would be tantamount to admission of failure, that it is NOT plug and play, is ridiculous. Neither myself, nor many others I know, bought the vision because we are rank beginners. I'm 5 years in to this stuff. But it is a compelling all in one, portable package. It achieves what it set out to do at it's price point, as did the Phantom 1 with its hard mounted GoPro adapter. Were people pissed off because they had a new gimbal option for the P1? It too was targeted much the same way, a plug and play package easy enough for anyone to try. The PV2 is positioned the same way, albeit at a higher price point.

Again, this brings me back to the crux of my argument. Some people here, seem to think that the P2V is some beginners toy. By ratio, I don't think it's been adopted anymore or less by the expert or the beginner than the original phantom. You buy something to grow into. You gain amazing functionality with the vision, and JUST as we all would want to progress On this platform/hobby and maintain said Visions capabilities, people such as yourself suggest that it's really just for beginners, it would be bad to provide extra capability. It's priced out of beginner territory, it really is priced where someone is looking for fascinating, comprehensive all in one option.

So, to over state my point, are you telling me that the stripped down version of the Vision (aka P2) is really a more serious machine and is really the only one of the two models worthy of a gimbal upgrade? I'll bet you the 1200$ I put into my vision that you are incorrect; furthermore, you are making statements about the vision that myself and others would balk at.

When I buy a premium product, I don't expect to have to sell it to buy the cheaper version so I can get a stabilized gimbal then spend a wad of cash to make it into what I already have....just with stabilization....

I hope I have clarified my point. As a vision owner, I want a direct upgrade path because frankly, my user experience is as important as anyone's. Should DJI dead end the Vision, I'm out. There are far more serious units than any of the phantom series available to all. But what compelled me about the vision still stands. I just don't think the whole, "the phantom 2 is a more serious, better, more deserving platform", argument is going to fly for the thousands of us that jumped on the vision because of the potential it represents.

I do appreciate your response BTW. But I have seen that same sentiment repeated over and over. It's groundless logic, I just really felt the need to address it.

Relieved and disappointed at the same time. I am getting my P2V today. I was really worried they were going to come out with something better for the PV2 and make me regret my purchase. Today is going to be an awesome day. :D

They have two iPad in front of the phantoms. They could be discussing the ground station app. You do realize that it's the 7th and I believe doors don't open for another hour. When Apple holds their little events they are at 1pm EST. I don't think you're going to see a huge event like that but at the very least you would think Colin would want to get his face in front of a camera talking about his new stuff. Give it until the end of the day. (plus they are supposed to have a full stand alone section and a little booth across the aisle and that picture is just of the little booth)

I agree that the only hardware you see is the S1000 so 3 axis and vision gimbals are most likely out of the question but there has to be a reason you see two iPads on the table. Assuming one connects to the S1000, what's the other for? Neither the vision or the phantom needs an iPad to fly which means it's gotta be used to talk about the ground station software.

Or I'm wrong and those are just there for people to register themselves at the booth. Regardless, just hold tight. The S1000 is still a pretty cool thing.

I wouldn't be sad to see him go. He was a narcissist with a Napoleon complex. If you watch the interviews with him, he never fully answers questions. I think he needed DJI more than they needed him. If they can continue to produce solid products, they won't need a face. (i.e. Apple post Steve Jobs)

You know what is actually a little interesting....

Christie Woods (seen in this video: http://vimeo.com/63681479 and here: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/christie-wo ... =pub-pbmap ) works for BDA, a marketing company. I was under the impression that the reason she was working with DJI was to help improve their marketing. BDA loans out people to work on projects and when their contract is up, they return to BDA.

Turns out. She is Colin's wife. http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/the- ... v-2919.php

For those that don't know. Colin and Christie were on the Amazing Race together. They placed 2nd because they had a tire blow out in Dallas.

Colin owned a cell phone store. It almost makes you wonder how the hell he got involved with DJI. If he was fired, did his wife take over for him?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20