What were you like when you first flew?

Can you remember back to your first few flights....were you so cautious you didn't go anywhere and hardly moved a thing, were you all fingers and thumbs (and sweating with nerves), or were your joysticks a blur as you intended to master some ninja moves of the skies....just thought it would be fund and interesting to hear

First time I flew was over a lake. A man rode his bike up to me, while I was flying. He asked what I was doing. I told him I just bought a quadcopter, and was flying for the first time. He said, “you are very brave to fly over water. I had sent the AC out and wanted to return. The sun was bright and I could not see the controls. I had to fly line of sight. Every way I turned the AC, it seemed it was going away from me. My wife said,”Don’t panic, press the return to home.
I was very nervous. After that, I flew at the local AC field.

I am more concerned with being able to actually find a place to get my P4P up without having to notify everyone and their dog. Dallas/Fort Worth is so packed full of airports and helipads... I hate having to drive an hour just to go practice flying around in a circle at 20ft. SMH!

Wow. That really sucks. I have a friend who lives in the D.C. Area and a large swath of the tristate region is a virtual no fly area.

First flight was about 6 feet up. I sat there and watched it hover for what seemed like forever. I was so nervous and scared. I didn't want to destroy $1500 worth of quad-copter on my first flight. Second flight was over a couple of empty soccer fields. I took it up a couple of hundred feet to check out the area, I mostly kept it around 30 feet high though. I kept freaking out every time I would fly the drone away from me. The visual of my drone getting further away from me made it look like it was slowly decreasing altitude.

I'd already done loads of research but even so my **** hole was chewing on my undies! It was like throwing $1,500 up in the air and hoping to catch it all again. Having said that it didn't take long to relax and enjoy the experience because the equipment is so well made and reliable. I've had many hundreds of flights since without incident and never fails to blow me away when I land after each flight.

My first flight was a DIY tricopter running a Hobby King board. Of course I crashed the thing. Multiple times. I finally got to the point where I could keep it in the air, but it was crazy.

This was running a very simple board. You had to totally control the thing. I eventually switched to a 3DR controller which made it MUCH easier to fly (and could fly waypoint missions).

My first flights were in a wide open field where I could execute some drills to gain confidence in my piloting skills and in the drone. Drills:
1. Fly forward and backward (no YAW) to gain experience with drone responsiveness and to understand VLOS and ability to differential relative distance (in front of / behind) other objects.
2. Fly forward/backward/right/left (box step) with no YAW
3. Fly large box (always forward) using YAW to learn and get comfortable with the left-right reverse stick action when drone is flying toward you.
4. Fly figure-8 banked turns until you are comfortable
5. Practice/Learn Intelligent Flight Modes ... used properly, they can release you to controlling the camera while the drone is in auto-flight mode.

I used to fly without reservation. Now I am beginning to feel that the use of Apps to find legal, unrestricted flying areas is becoming the most critical skill. When flying in a “No Drones” area, I find that if I ask the proper authority in advance and explain my mission (show exampes of previous photos/video taken) I will get a release to fly a specific mission, at a specific time, on a specific day.

I have tried my hand a few time at rc planes and helicopters over the years , with only limited success . Always loved the thought of how great it was these little flying machines . The last heli is still sitting on the shelf , nearly gave up altogether till l saw this guy flying a p3s down the park some time back . Well my eyes lit up to how dam good they were and a camera as well . All my Christmas come at once , l now have 2 of them and each time l fly l still smile as to what they can do ..

I have tried my hand a few time at rc planes and helicopters over the years , with only limited success . Always loved the thought of how great it was these little flying machines . The last heli is still sitting on the shelf , nearly gave up altogether till l saw this guy flying a p3s down the park some time back . Well my eyes lit up to how dam good they were and a camera as well . All my Christmas come at once , l now have 2 of them and each time l fly l still smile as to what they can do ..
Yes. I put my crude & crazy machines away after a while (I was tired of subsidising Hobby King). Then I saw a video of somebody doing something awesome with a Phantom. Smooth, steady, cinematic. The romance was rekindled. Now I fly a P4P and it is a thing of beauty.

When I first got my Phantom 4 it was Christmas. Being in Maine it wasn't easy to find a good day to fly or a place to fly. I spent time using the built in simulator. When I did get a good day I started in beginner mode and flew very close, worried I would crash it. Unlike th cheaper Toy drones the Phantom was very good, and stable. Over time I was able to relax and got further and Higher (under 400 Ft) Like anything else practice makes perfect. The more you fly the confidence and familiar you become with your drone.

Being familiar with RC models, this was a piece of cake. After watching so many vdeos (before I got mine) of other people flying with jerky yaws and camera tilts, I was determined to keep it smooth, just like the RC planes.

Nothing risky, just great scenic shots.

My first real quad was a P3S. I watched a LOT of You Tube vids on flying before I ever tried it out. I remember for my first flight being scared to death to get it to any altitude, afraid it would crash. So I went straight up 100', looked around, and came right back down and put it back in the case, lol.

Now after 50 flights (and having insurance) the fear is gone and it's just a thrill.

First flights were with a small model airplane eons ago.....lots of crashes and cut and bruised hands. Recent years, watched son with his P3S with envy, but declined taking the remote. Last year he gave me a P3P, so I had to learn to fly. Fortunately, he was there to help. What a kid!

Reactions: MTO and Neon Euc
Being a Fire Department UAV pilot I must practice everyday weather permitting. Well over 400 flights under my belt, I find myself still as cautious as my first flight. I practice on my 1/2 acre yard which is well treed and with wires, no time for errors. At the beginning of my flying experience, I learned to not make hasty moves with the controls. I do not trust the flying software be it Litchi or DJI, for both have given me surprises that make me wet my pants at times. While practicing, I have encountered many unexplained errors, loss of signal at 40 ft., loss of satellites, oscillations, fly aways, and the like. When I auto lift off, my finger hangs on the mode selector switch so I can go to ATTI mode in a split second if the bird wants to fly away. Hovering at 3 ft. for a short time on take off is wise since it gives you a moment to view the nature of the bird. Today, I went fly for the first time in a couple of weeks due to rain, I cal'd my bird, took it to a hover, then started getting feedback that I had no satellites, which lasted about 1 minute or so. The bird told itself to land for what reason I don't know, so I took control and kept it stationary. At fire scenes, I dare not make any mistakes for the world is watching every move I make. Like I said, I may fly with more experience under my belt, but I still fly with my heart in my hands. If anyone knows the reasons for the errors I experience, Please pass them on to me, I have zero trust with the software. Thanks.

First flight (outside)... Night time, around 11pm, with my brand new P3A.
July 2015. Super hot and humid. As usual in summer time.

I was nervous. There were no GPS signal: as I was trying to take off near high rise buildings. But at that time, I couldn't figure out why... My knees were shaking. I couldn't think straight. I was sweating all over. I had a small paper with all controls but I couldn't read it because it was too dark.
I flew in ATTI (crazy!!!) and I almost crashed it.
I was still able to get a picture at 30m and then I landed. Dunno how I managed to land it, it was all so blurry.
I didn't notice but there were something like 10 people watching over my shoulder, looking at my tablet and asking me thousands of questions. But hey, this is China ! I just told them it is a Chinese Product, China #1 to let them go.

I was fairly lucky. I was with a experienced pilot my first time. I purchased the Phantom 4 and was scared to death of crashing it. He showed me the basics and I was up and running in about 15 minutes.The Phantom is so easy to fly I was amazed and still am at the technology of these birds. I have about 30 flights in now and I still get a big grin on my face when she lifts off and I get that rth recording. Drones are a real blast to fly and I think I will always own one.

Reactions: Aussie markD1969
My first flight was about six months past. I had been watching videos on flying Drones. Bid on two DJI Quadcopters and was not expecting to purchase either one! I won the bid and had purchased a P4 and a P4P. I resold the P4 and my first flight was with the P4P. I was amazed and hooked for life. Since that time I have purchased a number of P3’s and sold them to help pay for my Habbit. I have now flown a number of Dji drones. P4,P4P, P3S, and MP. Selling over half dozen P3’s. At eighty one years I am haveing a ball learning and flying these magnificent flying machine. I have taught a dozen friends and acquaintances the basics of flying DJI Quadcopters. If I can afford I am going to purchase the DJI Air.

Last edited:
Can you remember back to your first few flights....were you so cautious you didn't go anywhere and hardly moved a thing, were you all fingers and thumbs (and sweating with nerves), or were your joysticks a blur as you intended to master some ninja moves of the skies....just thought it would be fund and interesting to hear
I flew right seat (though not licensed) in younger years with pilot friends and in Civil Air Patrol. So I had time on the controls in manned light aircraft. I've "flown" MS Flight Sim regularly in every new version since 1995. So flying the drone seemed easy and normal. Experience has taught me to be thorough, methodical, and cautious in such events. I have more than ten trouble free hours in the air with my DJI Phantom 3 Advance and own two flying wing drones which I have not yet found space large enough to fly. I anticipate no trouble flying those either. I have completed the online portion and am doing a final second review study for my FAA Drone Pilot Certificate.

If possible, have your first flights with the help of experienced pilots. I was fortunate to find the North Texas Drone User Group (MeetUp) and everyone there was helpful and encouraging. Several pilots let me do short flights on their Phantoms and despite my nervousness, that's all it took! I also took flying classes that were well worth the investment. Being a photographer, I decided on a P4P - it's a workhorse that always produces beautiful photos and videos. Like @AndrewCCM said, it's a challenge finding good places to fly in the Dallas area but I have a few favorite locations that I go to often to practice, practice, practice. Still sometimes have nerve-wracking flight moments but they are fewer and farther between these days.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT