What to Replace the Venerable P4P with?

Reaction score
Yesterday, flying at the Lake Michigan shore in high winds, I cut it too close to the trees and of course I had a catastrophic fuselage event. My beloved Phantom 4 Pro..ugg ..... pictures attached.
Questions:
1) can this be fixed by DJI? Or another fixit?
2) if not, do I wait for the P5, or should I just bust for the Mavic Pro 2? Pictures are equally important to me as video.
3) should I get crazy and go for an Inspire 2?

I really would like to get the props out of the picture when flying fast in wind at the Lakeshore. I also fly off our boat. Really appreciate suggestions.
IMG_7951.jpg
DJI_0809.jpg

IMG_1555854245.848978.jpg

Yesterday, flying at the Lake Michigan shore in high winds, I cut it too close to the trees and of course I had a catastrophic fuselage event. My beloved Phantom 4 Pro..ugg ..... pictures attached.
Questions:
1) can this be fixed by DJI? Or another fixit?
2) if not, do I wait for the P5, or should I just bust for the Mavic Pro 2? Pictures are equally important to me as video.
3) should I get crazy and go for an Inspire 2?

I really would like to get the props out of the picture when flying fast in wind at the Lakeshore. I also fly off our boat. Really appreciate suggestions.

As @Starz said, anything can be repaired. Question is if it is worth the cost. DJI will have a look at it and give you a quote for the repair, before proceeding. Other reputable shops can fix it as well. I have repaired Phantom 4 drones myself and it's not too difficult as long as you can find the parts.

As to waiting for a Phantom 5, that may never happen. Although it seems strange, there is a good chance that the Phantom line has come to an end. No official announcement yet from DJI but it looks likely at this point that the Phantom 4 is the last in its line.

I don't have a Mavic 2 Pro but I have heard that the camera does not quite match up with the P4P. It is a quality drone though in all respects. I just love the Phantom 4 line, and the Mavic does not have as much appeal (personal taste, that's all).

As to an Inspire, I would think very carefully about that. It's a big craft and takes some considerable set up time. The expense is also substantial, even to get on par with the camera quality of the P4P. My I2 is a beautiful piece of equipment but I use the P4P much more in daily operations. Also not a good option for a boat. The P4P is super easy to hand catch, while that is impossible with an I2.

Picture quality is a term that can be beat to death. The mp2 and the p4p both have their strong points. If I want some great low light pics, up goes the mp2. If I want some really nice clean pics, p4p. Plenty of room on a boat for both?

Picture quality is a term that can be beat to death. The mp2 and the p4p both have their strong points. If I want some great low light pics, up goes the mp2. If I want some really nice clean pics, p4p. Plenty of room on a boat for both?
That is really interesting.. I hadn't heard that comparison before.. So the P4P has cleaner (meaning less noise or better color) pics? It seems some of the comparisons ive seen it looks like the MP2 has a less blue or even a yellow cast than the P4P which is blue blue blue... I think the portability is awesome on the MP2 and not sure I can get a replacement P4P craft.....
Love to get your further thoughts on this... Thanks!

As @Starz said, anything can be repaired. Question is if it is worth the cost. DJI will have a look at it and give you a quote for the repair, before proceeding. Other reputable shops can fix it as well. I have repaired Phantom 4 drones myself and it's not too difficult as long as you can find the parts.

As to waiting for a Phantom 5, that may never happen. Although it seems strange, there is a good chance that the Phantom line has come to an end. No official announcement yet from DJI but it looks likely at this point that the Phantom 4 is the last in its line.

I don't have a Mavic 2 Pro but I have heard that the camera does not quite match up with the P4P. It is a quality drone though in all respects. I just love the Phantom 4 line, and the Mavic does not have as much appeal (personal taste, that's all).

As to an Inspire, I would think very carefully about that. It's a big craft and takes some considerable set up time. The expense is also substantial, even to get on par with the camera quality of the P4P. My I2 is a beautiful piece of equipment but I use the P4P much more in daily operations. Also not a good option for a boat. The P4P is super easy to hand catch, while that is impossible with an I2.
Always wanted an Inspire..., I've seen some aftermarket hand catch handlebars from FL Drone Supply... is there still the "Red Color Prop" problem?

I had an inspire one, wasn’t a good decision. Red hue was terrible. I’m not a post production fan (not willing to dedicate the time)and the fly time was not good for my kind of flying.
I’m not a pixel peeper either, but I think I know good from bad. It all boils down to who will be looking at what you shoot and how detailed you want it to be. For me, I’ve found that both are the way to go because the each have their advantages. This pic was mp2 straight off the card.
5F6A9002-B05D-4140-9B5B-449FD7A9FF5F.jpeg

Reactions: Kranmc and Ansia
It would be very, very difficult to distinguish P4P and M2P video footage. I switched from my P4P over a year ago. In many ways the M2P camera does the job better ... e.g. low lighting. To tell the difference in resolution would require very critical eyes of a very large screen. It's my feeling that the M2P portability, newer telecommunications technology and even flight characteristics make it a drone of choice.

It would be very, very difficult to distinguish P4P and M2P video footage. I switched from my P4P over a year ago. In many ways the M2P camera does the job better ... e.g. low lighting. To tell the difference in resolution would require very critical eyes of a very large screen. It's my feeling that the M2P portability, newer telecommunications technology and even flight characteristics make it a drone of choice.

Thank you! Is this true for still photos, too?

Au contraire. The jittery 30fps 4K video on the M2P is noticeably different from the buttery smooth 60fps 4K on the P4P. To get 60fps on the M2P, you have to reduce your video resolution from 4K to 2.7K. No comparison. The P4P has the better camera. P4P also has a mechanical shutter, critical for photogrammetry. However, the P4P has been discontinued, so you'll need to find one lightly used, or from a reseller with old stock, or settle for an M2P which is certainly quieter, more portable, and even more concealable, than the venerable P4P.

Reactions: PhantomFandom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen