What to do with it?

Reaction score
I bought a Phantom 2 with no camera by mistake...3 batteries,NDJ6 Remote, carrying case... it is a V 2.0, but I don’t want this outdated thing, I want a Phantom 3 Pro...So as a newbie(93 on the 107 written yesterday!) what should I do? Take a hit and sell it (what’s it worth?) or equip it with a “affordable” camera and have it as a backup?…

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt KO
Affordable camera as a backup you would be surprised how older machines fly and sometimes older is better when it comes to new rules ect... um I can understand frustration you have your mind set on one thing and pay for it and get something a version older but still very capable and cool. I have a dji F550 flamewheel u have to manually build this thing and setup gps and hook it up to computers to calibrate it and it's from 2012 your phantom 2 V2 is actually quite newer than my F550 and from what I've seen on YouTube the phantom 2 V2 is a pretty cool quadcopter

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Here is a video comparison for you. The phantom 2 v2 is a very capable drone. Also you can get go pro hero 3 that's 4k video for like 40 to 60 dollars.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: BillyN and Capt KO
someone who flys FPV should be able to refer a cheap Visual setup so you have telemetry. dont be discouraged you have something to Tinker with and that is always Fun in my opinion. Here is my old drone and its gimble.
Image%20(3).jpeg
Image%20(9).jpeg

Affordable camera as a backup you would be surprised how older machines fly and sometimes older is better when it comes to new rules ect... um I can understand frustration you have your mind set on one thing and pay for it and get something a version older but still very capable and cool. I have a dji F550 flamewheel u have to manually build this thing and setup gps and hook it up to computers to calibrate it and it's from 2012 your phantom 2 V2 is actually quite newer than my F550 and from what I've seen on YouTube the phantom 2 V2 is a pretty cool quadcopter

Hey Thanks for that.... I will end up doing something cool with it....I guess I got so involved with wanting to program and watch it do it’s thing that I forgot the #1 Rule....FLY THE AIRCRAFT FIRST!…a principal that was instilled in me over a lifetime!…Tomorrow I am gonna go get some “Stick Time” with it...The “Gee Whiz” stuff will come later on....Thanks for your advice....as my profile picture shows, I do like flying older equipment!

I have no doubt you will have fun with it um if nothing else get some video with your phone and post it here I like the phantom series they are all cool. I hope to see you around on here.
Hey Thanks for that.... I will end up doing something cool with it....I guess I got so involved with wanting to program and watch it do it’s thing that I forgot the #1 Rule....FLY THE AIRCRAFT FIRST!…a principal that was instilled in me over a lifetime!…Tomorrow I am gonna go get some “Stick Time” with it...The “Gee Whiz” stuff will come later on....Thanks for your advice....as my profile picture shows, I do like flying older equipment!

I bought a Phantom 2 with no camera by mistake...3 batteries,NDJ6 Remote, carrying case... it is a V 2.0, but I don’t want this outdated thing, I want a Phantom 3 Pro...So as a newbie(93 on the 107 written yesterday!) what should I do? Take a hit and sell it (what’s it worth?) or equip it with a “affordable” camera and have it as a backup?…
I fly a P4A and have a P2V2+ as a backup. It saved my bacon a couple times.

Reactions: Capt KO
OK... I live in South East Alabama....Ft. Rucker is 15 miles East, Dothan’s Class D starts 1/2 a mile away, and I’m Sitting right on the edge of a “Special Use Airspace” (or an Alert Area)....Just tried to startup my Phantom 2.(first time)...nothing!…Did DJI incorporate on an update where it won’t even start if it thinks it’s in controlled Airspace? HHHHEEEELLLLPPP???

OK... I live in South East Alabama....Ft. Rucker is 15 miles East, Dothan’s Class D starts 1/2 a mile away, and I’m Sitting right on the edge of a “Special Use Airspace” (or an Alert Area)....Just tried to startup my Phantom 2.(first time)...nothing!…Did DJI incorporate on an update where it won’t even start if it thinks it’s in controlled Airspace? HHHHEEEELLLLPPP???
I don't think P2's had gatefencing -- others may know for sure.

View attachment 117787

Flown Here Professionally my entire career, and until yesterday I never realized just how much Airspace is taken!…A lot different from this side of the fence!…WOW! Open the Attachment...it’s wild!

Last edited:
I don't think P2's had gatefencing -- others may know for sure.
Thanks Mike...I appreciate ya!…Now I’m determined to fly it....it will be perfect to learn on (and Crash!)....Then buy a Professional 3 or a 4....any ideas why the motors won’t spin up?

Thanks Mike...I appreciate ya!…Now I’m determined to fly it....it will be perfect to learn on (and Crash!)....Then buy a Professional 3 or a 4....any ideas why the motors won’t spin up?
The term I should have used was geofencing. But, as I said, I don't think the P2 had it. In any case, it would prevent you from flying into a no-fly zone, but not starting up. So, are you following the correct startup procedure? Full batteries (all three of them)? Compass calibration? Verify satellite connection? When you started the flight battery, did you get the audible startup tone? Then pulling the joysticks down and toward each other should start the motors.

Well... I think so....It came with an upgraded NDJ6 Remote and I don’t think the boxes are communicating with each other....I’m gonna go give it my undivided attention....plus my laptop is fried, so I can’t look @ the updates....But One way or another, it will Fly!…Yeah,check out the Airspace I’m plagued with....small price to pay for Freedom though!

You may have to pair it to your remote.
Well... I think so....It came with an upgraded NDJ6 Remote and I don’t think the boxes are communicating with each other....I’m gonna go give it my undivided attention....plus my laptop is fried, so I can’t look @ the updates....But One way or another, it will Fly!…Yeah,check out the Airspace I’m plagued with....small price to pay for Freedom though!

Have you tried rebinding the controller to the Phantom? Here's a video about how to do it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

May need an IMU calibration, ive had a couple in for repair that only needed that, you will need a PC though or laptop
Or the GPS puck is damaged, only way to tell is to remove the lid and check it
Or the controller isnt bound, with the quad on fast yellow flashes means it not seeing the controller, slow yellow its seeing it.
Or the controller needs calibrating again you need the software

I have always felt sorry for people that buy a drone in the Dothan area. I fly a lot in the Panama City area when I visit my wife's family. The NFZ is huge. I travel through your area at least 6 times a year.

I have always felt sorry for people that buy a drone in the Dothan area. I fly a lot in the Panama City area when I visit my wife's family. The NFZ is huge. I travel through your area at least 6 times a year.
It never really occurred to me all the years flying fixed wing(but was also on an IFR Flight Plan)...completely different animal down low!...look over towards the Destin area on a sectional sometime....Now THATS A MESS!

Reactions: WV. Rootman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic