What is the largest thing you have flown? (real or model)

I was an aerial photographer in the SA Air Force. Our survey cameras were mounted in the DC3 and then converted to the Turbo Prop version, C47TP. I often used to take control between target areas. On the fling wing side, I once had a go with the sticks of a Huey.
"Stick time in a Heuy"? That reminds me of a time when I was stationed at Crissy field in San Francisco. I went up on a test hop in a Choctaw Helicopter with a Major. We departed Crissy to the west. Do you know what is west of Crissy? The Golden Gate bridge! After we were airborne, and established in cruise flight at about 100 feet, he let me take the Cyclic. I had no friggin idea what I was doing. None...! That poor choctaw wallowed left and right like a drunken sailor under the Golden Gate Bridge and out to sea. I didn't even know how to turn the darn thing. Thank God he took the controls after we went about 1 mile off shore.

The hours in your log book are still valid. You can start lessons at another FBO.

Copy that, Don, but I took those lessons in 2000. I'm seventeen years older now and a great grandpa a few times over. The thrill would still be there, but the capacity to learn has probably begun to grow some moss, if you know what I mean.

I did an introductory flight in a Cessna 172. The instructor was some kid that had been doing it for 4 months and he was awesome.

We had a crosswind on take off and before we got in the plane he described the take off, what would happen when and how the plane would react.

As a sailor it is important to understand wind and know how your craft will react to various wind and current conditions before you get into them, especially near the dock. I was impressed with his understanding of how the craft would handle near the docks (ground) on takeoff and landing.

I keep trying to talk myself into doing lessons, but sailing is expensive enough. But I keep thinking about it. A magical experience it was.

What is the largest craft you have flown? be it a real aircraft or maybe your drone is the first?

For me, the largest would be a Boing 707 (RC-135) when I was in the Air Force. I was on a training flight and walked up to check out the cockpit. The Pilot had gotten up to go get a drink and the Co-Pilot said "have a seat Chief" (I was a Crew Chief at the time) I sat down, he told me to take the yoke and he then turned off autopilot. He let me have the controls for about 30 minutes until the pilot came back. Was pretty awesome I must say. I also got some stick time in the B2 and B1 simulator which was also pretty dang cool!

Got my license in a cherokee 140. Owned and flew a Beech F-35 Bonanza for 20 years. I also had the chance to fly a KC-135 re-fueler. I flew the boom and the plane for a short time on a training mission from O'hare to Kansas.

Great thread

Full size was Cessna 172

R/C have flown a few planes in the 10' wingspan category swinging large 24" wooden props (8 of them).

747-300 for many years but mostly the 747-200.

Also did the CH-47 Chinook (Viet-Nam and as an instructor) while in the Army with a few flights in the CH-54 Tarhe, which I REALLY loved.

I went from a 4 engine 747 to a four "engine" Phantom P4. Still having fun.

I would have loved to been able to fly the P4 back in the empty cargo bay of the 747, but that opportunity is long gone.

AD (my avatar is at the nose wheel of my favorite 747 while in Hong Kong)

i-JgSsh3v-XL.jpg

I knew someone probably flew big jets here. I hope you spent most of your former career above 400' AGL ;) I'm just SLF and sit in the back waiting for my cocktail :)

Also did the CH-47 Chinook (Viet-Nam and as an instructor) while in the Army with a few flights in the CH-54 Tarhe, which I REALLY loved.

I went from a 4 engine 747 to a four "engine" Phantom P4. Still having fun.

I would have loved to been able to fly the P4 back in the empty cargo bay of the 747, but that opportunity is long gone.

AD (my avatar is at the nose wheel of my favorite 747 while in Hong Kong)

i-JgSsh3v-XL.jpg
Holy Crap...look at the size of that wheel! And that's just the nose gear!

A friend had got his license and had some paid lessons left. He gave them to me and I could fly two lessons in a Cessna 172. Wonderful! But not at all any money these days to continue [emoji30]
I think this was the heaviest thing I have flown. The biggest: an old tzchec Blanik sailglider.
Nowadays I am happy to fly my Phantom 4!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I flew concorde back in the mid 1970's.

I also crashed it :-(

Luckily it was just the British Aerospace flight simulator one :)

Reactions: Neon Euc
I was an electronic tech on the B52g and B52h simulator in the 80s. Preflight ever morning before handing it over to the instructors.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Be99 Airliner. Most of my time Part 135 in Chieftains and Navajos. All single-pilot IFR. Fun days...

Last edited:
Cool! My first twin job was on the BE-99! Lots of fun!

Yea I miss those days. The Be99 (and the Chieftain) are absolute tanks. Rock solid airplanes and the flying I did was REAL flying - hands-on, no glass cockpit sissy stuff - steam gauges and all pilot skill (autopilot? What's that?).

I'd love to get back into the game but doubt I could survive on $28k a year and no benefits at this point!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT