What is the best 8 inch tablet to use

i have a Nvidia Shield K1 that I use with several drones with excellent results. The Shield does not process the video on the P4. I sent the P4 back to DJI for this and other issues. DJI replaced the camera but it still doesn't work with the Shield. I called tech support yesterday and John told me that the Shield was not an approved device. I went back to my minipad 2 and there isn't an issue. The problem is that I stopped using the minipad 2 because it would drop the app in mid flight, very disconcerting when you are flying some distance away and you have no idea where you are.
I find it interesting that there are a lot of P4 users on this forum that don't seem to have any issue with the Shield/P4 combination. I must be missing something.

On my K1 the go 4 app just kept crashing, I only use this tablet to fly and don't use it for anything else. As soon as I went back to 6.0 it was rock solid.
Its possible on the k1 that the USB Configuration in Developer Options is being reset to Charging not MTP causing nougat crashing, if it resets to Charging it sees RC as charging device and begins charging the K1, when I installed new P4 battery I had to make update and it also updated Go4 which I was holding off doing, but it started disconnecting RC from P4P, then I noticed it kept reverting to charging, so I rolled back G04 firmware and relinked RC also pushing link button on P4P and it doesn't revert from MTP anymore, also Go4 firmware says latest, thread on DJI forum on K1 shield recently stated problems with nougat, I havent upgraded yet still on marshmallow with no probs. But check Developer Options, USB debugging is on, USB Configuration is MTP, when disconnects its usually because reverts to charging automatically, relink RC to drone while the link button is pushed on P4P. I had also converted miniSD to internal before new battery, so undid everything that I did from my last flight 3 days before which was new battery update,Go4 update,SD internal, then relink RC with button on P4P, and solved prob of USB Config reverting, Dji has mentioned to some to rollback firmware if having probs. k1 is solid reception very nice, I'll keep android (6) for now until nougat (7)is solid, the Crystalsky tablets are android. Use Hoodman Hav1/1e, and dont even have to look at P4P, the view is awsome and fast reception/response.

Last edited:
My Shield worked until it upgraded to 7.0. How can I get 6.0 back?

Go 4 app kept crashing no matter what I did when 7.0 got installed. Had to downgrade mine back to 6.0 and stop OTA updates. Been more than rock solid since then.

I bought a Nvidia shield k1, it updated to 7.0 it seems to be working good, How do I go to 6.0.?

Check out dji Go app or Go 4 if you have P4P, see if you need any firmware updates, make sure to plug OEM cord into drone from tablet when updating, give it a fly see if any issues, one issue I had was disconnect, I solved it, the USB Configuration in Developer Options kept reverting to charging from MTP, I reinstalled Go4 app and did updates, this time using OEM cord to drone, and now Go4 launches when RC starts and no issues, also update batteries, I am on marshmallow(6) not nougat,didnt upgrade,seeing if issues are fixed if any. In Dji forum under P4P topics you'll find K1 sheild topic on 1st or 2nd page and it talks of issues with nougat(7) and how to downgrade to marshmallow(6), if you have issues check to see if USB Configuration is reseting to charging, and the RC will begin charging K1,cool if need charging. If no problems no need to downgrade.

Last edited:
I switched from an iPad Air 2 to a iPad Pro 9.7 and the screen difference is so much better. The anti glare of the Pro is awesome.

I played around with pro 9.7 at the store and was impressed, it's an awesome tablet!
Just worried about it being a little to big hanging on the control ?

+1 on the nividia K1. Mines dedicated to my phantom. Great tablet, great size and perfect price.

Was playing with the ipad pro 9" also, really cool and with pencil support should make good use for post editing. Was playing with Adobe Fix app was cool app that had some really good basic editing tools. Nothing like Lightroom or Photoshop but great on the go

I was wondering about how well the ipad pro would work for simple editing, or if other editing programs could be used. I'm gonna go look at what Best Buys has today, still looking at a mini 4 or pro. I'm sure I would use the pro for other things besides a monitor for the bird.
I've spent way to much time researching, doesn't matter it will be outdated before I get it home anyway.

Has anyone experienced any video lags with the k1 compared to the iPad mini

Last edited:
Well I picked up a Samsung Tab E 8, Bought it at Verizon, was $399 on sale today $30, had to sign up for data, did thru business account so $10/month for 24 months. Hopefully when on outdoor mode screen will be bright enough

Has anyone experienced any video lags with the k1 compared to the iPad mini
I've used both, I found the k1 runs a bit faster then the iPad.

I think the k1 has better processing power but they are both comparable. I noticed less video lag on the k1

If it was a race the k1 would win by half a inch in my opinion..

I only got my P4P at the end of last month and only flew it a few times, but I have a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 I am using and I have had no issues when out flying with it.

I stripped the tablet of any and all apps I could and run it as a dedicated device. Plenty of speed/power for DJI GO 4. I will admit I have never been able to do a full firmware upgrade to the bird via the tablet (5% into the upgrade I get a "DJI GO 4 has stopped" error), so I do those via DJI Asisstant.

But, the disconcerting thing is when I am doing stuff with it in the house (not flying, ie, testing SD cards, configuring stuff, etc) I am constantly running into a situation where the video disconnects with "NO SIGNAL". I also have an annoying issue where I will have the app get stuck trying to close down and from there the only thing that will make things "normal" again is rebooting the tablet.

Now I know that Samsung is one of the kings of bloatware and "customizing" that compromises their products much more than enhancing them (you know, gotta wait for that update that makes your device look WORSE than a newer product, just to get you to want to upgrade and spend more money), and they have abandoned this tablet from the first 6 months after release (stuck on 4.4.2 KitKat), so I am wondering if anyone loaded on any of the "vanilla" CM releases as a custom ROM and was able to determine if it is better than the stock 4.4.2???

I have a "well spoken for" build of CM13.1 (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) that is supposed to be very fast, no frills, awesome stability and battery life, and I am wondering if I should go through the hassle of rooting and loading that along with the Pico variety of the Gapps???

I don't mind making this a dedicated platform, I just want max stability. I really hate the idea of spending a few hundred on a iPad... I detest Apple in it's current form, and once I replace my daughters aging iPhone 4 I won't have any Apple products.

I use the Nvidia Shield and my iPad Mini 2. I use my Nvidia Shield for waypoints it hooks up real well with the following me mode it's just a all-round really strong tablet. My iPad Mini 2 I use for DJI go app the iPad Mini has such a great picture for free flight. I'm very happy with both no lag. The Nvidia Shield uploads its flight information automatically after each flight. My iPads a little more time-consuming. And one last thing the Nvidia Shield has outputs HDMI possibly for a VTR headset saves you from having to do the mod on your controller. Hope this helps.

To the group have a good night

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1