What is best multiple battery charger?

Reaction score
I go through five batteries with each flight, about 7 minutes each fully loaded with a gopro. Charging each one with the Phantom charger takes hours and baby-sitting each battery. What are people using out there for multiple battery charging? I see Hobby King has many types, but what works best with the Phantom and its specific plugs? Suggestions?

Look for one that does balance charging, fast charging, as well as discharge and "storage" modes. The batteries don't like to be stored full or discharged so if you know you won't be flying for a few days it's good to be able to keep them at the optimal level for longevity. I can recommend the Dynamite Passport Ultra Duo 400W. It works well, can run off wall power or a car battery, and can charge two batteries simultaneously to reduce your down time when flying conditions are optimal.

I have 5 batteries as well (think I might order a few more tho).

But I"ve been quite pleased with my Accucel 6 from Hobby King (USA warehouse)
it didn't cost too much and has all the desired features.

It only charges one battery at a time,. however I picked up a parallel charging board that allows me to charge up to 6 batteries at a time.
Parallel charging is a bit trickier than having a dedicated multi-battery charger,. but it does work.

Well, for the money I bought four additional vista power chargers which do single batteries. I've mounted them all together with balance plug extensions and a common power bar. This should reduce my charging time from about five hours to 1 hour for my five batteries. At $20 each way cheaper than a 5 battery charger and allows me to charge any number of batteries instead of two at a time.

I use an iCharger 206 B, Power Supply and a 6 battery Parallel Charging Board.

You will also need a means of checking the voltage of each battery cell before Parallel Charging as they should all be between 0.1 volt of each other. Mine usually are when run to the battery warnings activating on the Phantom. If any aren't, charge them separately.

You can only parallel charge batteries that are of a similar state of charge/discharge and that have the same cell count. Amps aren't so important. Connect the main charging leads of all the batteries to the board first and then the balance leads.

I only ever charge at 1C so the 206b is ample. Just add the amps of all the batteries to give you the 1C rate.

It takes about 45 minutes to charge the 6 batteries.

Roadkilt said:
I go through five batteries with each flight, about 7 minutes each fully loaded with a gopro. Charging each one with the Phantom charger takes hours and baby-sitting each battery. What are people using out there for multiple battery charging? I see Hobby King has many types, but what works best with the Phantom and its specific plugs? Suggestions?

I'm using the Stock Phantom Lipos and my batteries have me flying for about 12 minutes and I'm carrying a HERO3. When I throw them back on the charger, they got about 10.50v remaining which is still above the required minimum 3.0v per cell remaining requirement. Keep in mind, you don't have to come flying in for a landing as soon as the red light starts blinking. You've a few more minutes to fly a little bit more. Just saying while you look for a better charger.

My charger of choice is the Hyperion EOS0720iNET3 AC/DC Balance Charger since I also do Off-Road and On-Road RC. I can charge one Phantom LIPO in 20-24 minutes at 2C. Works for me.

I couldn't find a charger that could do 1 -5 batteries at the same time without extra boards so I bought four simple chargers, identical rebrands to the Phantom charger. Then I put them all in a shallow tray, added balance plug extensions, screwed a power bar on the bag and I have a great multiple battery system for 2S, 3S or 4S batteries, with no issues of pairs etc. This allows me to partially charge them for storage, about half an hour, then do a final 15 minute top up before I fly. Not the time wasting one at a time way. Also, I stick all the batteries in a fireproof charging bag, available at Hobby King for $3.

Attachments

• Phantom charger panel.jpg
    Phantom charger panel.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 2,961
Roadkilt said:
I couldn't find a charger that could do 1 -5 batteries at the same time without extra boards so I bought four simple chargers, identical rebrands to the Phantom charger. Then I put them all in a shallow tray, added balance plug extensions, screwed a power bar on the bag and I have a great multiple battery system for 2S, 3S or 4S batteries, with no issues of pairs etc. This allows me to partially charge them for storage, about half an hour, then do a final 15 minute top up before I fly. Not the time wasting one at a time way. Also, I stick all the batteries in a fireproof charging bag, available at Hobby King for $3.

Now that's a great setup.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you're seriously into this hobby, you should get at least ONE good charger and a parallel charging board
or consider a charger that can balance multiple and different batteries at the same time, such as Hitek x4 or similar from HobbyKing.

the Phantom OEM charger is pretty basic and crude, and doesn't provide any feedback info (nor can it discharge or charge batteries in storage mode)

True, but I built one for $80, I don't need to discharge batteries, I have an accurate voltmeter to give me precise data.

Local RC hobby shop here in Victoria. They are cheap enough at $20 each that Its hardly worth the shipping and wait to buy online. They are identical to the stock Phantom chargers but in a different packaging. I did have to buy balance plug extenders and xt plug converters for them from Hobby King, that was an extra $8 or so.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl