What if app crashes while flying?

I am going to agree with the smart guy here.

Learn to fly is the correct response. Like it or not, you are supposed to be in LOS at all times. Yes it is cool you can fly 4 miles away, but you really are not supposed to. Technically, you should be able to turn off what ever app you use at any time and manually fly the bird home. If you can't do that, you are breaking the intended purpose of the bird / hobby.

That being said, we all do it. It is a risk we all take. Take your bird out a way, set it to hover in a safe place. and practice rebooting your device or app. then reconnecting.

Like I said if people are gonna post stuff like this, just move on to another thread..

Ok....

whats the point in having these drones if you gonna fly in what you are referring to as basically only flying with naked physical eye sight, You wont be flying very far at all unless you have superhuman eyes?

Also learning to fly your drone properly is a rubbish statement, I can fly my phantom fine and I can also fly my Syma X8HG fine and that only has altitude hold it will drif around everywhere...

However as already stated it doesn't matter when you own eyes can not see the drone...!

Now if you can see you drone then yes im all for flying it manually..

p.s my reason for saying move on is because comments like learn to fly are not helpful..

but they are...i tried to offer both. smart assery and content

-Learn to fly without the app in case you have too.
-Learn to fly while rebooting the app in case you have to

In either case. these are situations you may or will encounter. until you practiced them, you may not know how to respond.

"learn to fly" actually apply, but you do need to add context to the statement.

Nothing, really. just restart the app and everything will be fine.

I have sometimes purposely restarted it when I lost video connection.

If you still have a green light on your controller, you still have a connection and likely control of the aircraft. If that light turns red, you have lost contact and the aircraft should initiate RTH. What it does at that point is determined by your configuration (RTH, Hover, Land, etc...)

If the light is green, all you need to do is get off the sticks and let the aircraft hover while you get the tablet/phone reconnected to the controller. Once you reconnect, you should get a map even if the video has dropped out. From that, you should be able to fly it back close to your location.

Biggest thing is to not panic. I would highly recommend that you do not simply fly it blind not knowing which direction it is going. At least this way you have "a last known location". Flying blind, all bets are off.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If you tried to restart the app, does the app have to connect to the drone and RC or just the RC? Basically what I'm asking is, is it more difficult to reconnect the app if the drone is further away?

I know before we take off we turn on drone, RC and connect the app through wifi, but what actually happens here?
1. Does the app connect to both the RC and drone?
2. Does the app connect to the RC and in turn the RC connects to the drone?

Never stopped to think about it

OK lets clear up something here ....

The APP and tablet / Phone does NOT connect direct to the AIRCRAFT.

The Phone / Tablet connects to the WiFi of the CONTROLLER which the CONTROLLER connects to the AIRCRAFT.

Therefore any restart of the app only needs to reconnect to the controller immediately next to it.

It will rely on the controller being still connected to aircraft. IF the controller is not connected to aircraft - then it would have Initiated RTH.

Nigel

"Learn how to fly home without the app" might be the idealistic answer, but in many cases, it won't be a practical answer. Allowing the Phantom to hover while reconnecting or initiating RTH with the switch are the safest answers. Even if the Phantom is in line of sight visually, it may still be very difficult to find orientation and safely fly back yourself. It's true that you could be in line of sight but not be able to see the lights to determine correct orientation. And while you may be able to find orientation and fly home through trial and error, it might not be the safest thing to do. Reconnecting is the best answer unless you are very close to low battery, in which case it would just be best to RTH by flicking the switch. You may end up taking too much time trying to reconnect or finding orientation yourself (or you could accidentally fly further away or into an obstacle). Yes, of course, one would always suggest to learn how to fly without all of the automated systems, but I would not suggest that flying home manually is the best answer in this particular situation.

To the op. I often also wonder this and as I see it options are

1. Let it hover and try restart app
2. Flick s1 switch to imitate rth
3. Turn off controller and turn it back on see if it helps
4. Turn off controller and leave off hope disconnect imitates rth
5. Fly home manually IF POSSIBLE.

Darren[/QUOTE

I'm sure it was just a simple oversight, but it is s2 switch that initiates RTH.

Yeh i nearly lost one to couldent tell if it was coming or goin,,scary:eek:

Yes, I too experienced this - learned to watch, fly left, then right then rotate - you can quickly get oriented by watching aircraft move as you move sticks until back as expected, then fly back to yourself.
Hope this makes sense

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

So the "learn to FLY the Phantom" is a very valid comment. I can't speak as to the context of his statement but I don't think he was being sarcastic....think of it guys......some people REALLY don't know how to fly and get all panicky when something happens. For people that know how to fly, there are many courses of action but the easiest thing is to initiate a RTH and then attempt to reconnect when it's close or, manually (learn to fly) land it.
I ran a Litchi waypoint mission and my tablet died on me once.....I let it complete its mission and then when it came back into view, I switched it over to "P" mode and landed it manually

This has not happened to me, but I would like to know, what should one do if the app (litchi, dji GO) crashes while the bird is in the air? I must admin most times I do not have sight of it as I like to fly a fair distance (rural area).

Do you just let it hover and try to re-open the app? If it doesn't open? Can you get another device with the app on and start it up? Will that work?

I realise you can RTH through the RC which is what you would probably do.

If the bird's in the air, will the drone connect to another device if you had to use a different device? or does the app just need to connect to he RC?
As long as you have satellites, the bird will have with no input from the RC. unless the battery is low, you have time to restart the app or open a new one. I have often switched between Go and Litchi, closing one then after a brief period opening the other. As others have commented, main problem without the app is know into the orientation if the bird is too far away. If you try to fly it back rather than use RTH, make very small inputs and watch the response of the bird very closely.

I've had this happen more than a few times. You just look at the rc. If it's a green light, then you still have control. It flies just fine, without the app. If you're bvlos then you might be in trouble, at this point. Try to pay attention to the compass on the app. It can save you, in a pinch if you keep your orientation locked in to your brain. Really, the best thing to do is nothing. Wait for the app to restart. If not, bring her home, manually. If you're a few miles away... pray that you've practiced enough to handle a broken arrow....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've had this happen more than a few times. You just look at the rc. If it's a green light, then you still have control. It flies just fine, without the app. If you're bvlos then you might be in trouble, at this point. Try to pay attention to the compass on the app. It can save you, in a pinch if you keep your orientation locked in to your brain. Really, the best thing to do is nothing. Wait for the app to restart. If not, bring her home, manually. If you're a few miles away... pray that you've practiced enough to handle a broken arrow....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

1> No radar or app ... so that's not viable
2> Often there are more than 2 red lights or whatever on the arms ......................... IF you can see them !
3> Bring her home manually ................ great IF you have orientation / sighting etc. to do it .... but also most 'pilots' would be panicking - so do a favour ... flick the switch and do RTH.
4> Far way or in sight - RTH is your saviour ..... even for myself of over 50yrs model flying ... with 10yrs multi-rotors ... RTH is the answer and then no need to even think about App or anything else. Initiate RTH - while she's coming back - restart whatever went down and then land her out.

There's a lot of words in posts on this thread - but I have to emphasise RTH is THE BEST OPTION regardless of any other.

Nigel

On one of my older tablets I had a DJI GO app crash and I just let the drone hover, restarted the tablet, brought the app back up, it reconnected fine and then brought the drone back.
I've had the same thing happen. Just let it hover and restart the app. I have on at least one occasion restarted the controller while the aircraft hovered. Brought it back home and restarted evertything.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT