What if app crashes while flying?

Reaction score
This has not happened to me, but I would like to know, what should one do if the app (litchi, dji GO) crashes while the bird is in the air? I must admin most times I do not have sight of it as I like to fly a fair distance (rural area).

Do you just let it hover and try to re-open the app? If it doesn't open? Can you get another device with the app on and start it up? Will that work?

I realise you can RTH through the RC which is what you would probably do.

If the bird's in the air, will the drone connect to another device if you had to use a different device? or does the app just need to connect to he RC?

If battery allows, hover and try to restart the app - and yes RTH via the switch.
If you are still within range the app should reconnect and/or connect to another device.

On one of my older tablets I had a DJI GO app crash and I just let the drone hover, restarted the tablet, brought the app back up, it reconnected fine and then brought the drone back.

If you read my post properly you'll see where I've said that sometimes i like to fly out of LOS so xan tou teach me how to bring it back if I can't see it?

Sent from my SM-N920I using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just use your memory..........you knew where it was (via app) , you knew which direction it was flying (via app), just fly it back......... :)

Just use your memory..........you knew where it was (via app) , you knew which direction it was flying (via app), just fly it back......... :)
I think the drone's orientation would be pretty hard to be 100% sure which way it's facing. You may think you're bringing it back qhen in fact you're sending it out further. Nut that's just me

Sent from my SM-N920I using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Andy4195
I'd bring it back into LOS promptly (immediately actually, as we don't know battery condition as a rule), effected either by RTH button on RC or turn off RC, forcing RTH.

Now, whilst Phantom is flying home safely - at the altitude you set up in app, you have time to restart RC and then App if you can and wish to.

Regardless, your Phantom and surrounding people/objects will be safe with this approach. This has happened to me more than once [emoji12], and worked out fine. Just don't panic!

- Phantom P3A and P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

Reactions: mike357
On one of my older tablets I had a DJI GO app crash and I just let the drone hover, restarted the tablet, brought the app back up, it reconnected fine and then brought the drone back.

Exactly .... happened twice to me now ... I do a lot of Go / FW testing and its a risk I take ...

But I am confident that HOVER if RC is still connected but App crashed .... RTH if RC fails.

Nigel

Sorry that would be a last resort for me. You have no idea of actual orientation when failure occurs. I know that one particular video I recorded when this happened - I was slowly turning the model ... the turn completed a shade more than displayed because I let go after failure - evident only when I viewed the on-board video.

If I cannot be sure of restarting app ... then its Flick S2 and initiate RTH from the RC ... simple.

Nigel

To the op. I often also wonder this and as I see it options are

1. Let it hover and try restart app
2. Flick s1 switch to imitate rth
3. Turn off controller and turn it back on see if it helps
4. Turn off controller and leave off hope disconnect imitates rth
5. Fly home manually IF POSSIBLE.

for the comment I saw about learning to fly your phantom... All too often on this forum now I see sarcastic people saying dumd things like this...

It doesn't matter how good you can fly it, if the phantom is 200 ft in the air and 1500ft away from you then you need som ******* robocop eyes to see it and fly it back safely.

The reason these drones have cameras that relay to app along with being able to see what your filing has is that when you are 1 mile or more away from yourself you can see where the bloody thing is flying lol.

Rant over.

C'mon people be helpful or move on to another thread.

Darren

If you tried to restart the app, does the app have to connect to the drone and RC or just the RC? Basically what I'm asking is, is it more difficult to reconnect the app if the drone is further away?

I know before we take off we turn on drone, RC and connect the app through wifi, but what actually happens here?
1. Does the app connect to both the RC and drone?
2. Does the app connect to the RC and in turn the RC connects to the drone?

Never stopped to think about it

I am going to agree with the smart guy here.

Learn to fly is the correct response. Like it or not, you are supposed to be in LOS at all times. Yes it is cool you can fly 4 miles away, but you really are not supposed to. Technically, you should be able to turn off what ever app you use at any time and manually fly the bird home. If you can't do that, you are breaking the intended purpose of the bird / hobby.

That being said, we all do it. It is a risk we all take. Take your bird out a way, set it to hover in a safe place. and practice rebooting your device or app. then reconnecting.

Reactions: Philltayl

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20