What Happens When A Drone Hits A Human

Mythbusters also did a study with what was available at the time.

Though I did not read article, so maybe it was mentioned, with regards to personal injury from the drone itself the main danger is the props unless we're talking about a freefall onto a skull or other item resulting in accident say such as striking a moving vehicle causing additionional collisions, etc.

Last edited:
Mythbusters also did a study with what was available at the time.

Though I did not read article, so maybe it was mentioned, with regards to personal injury from the drone itself the main danger is the props unless we're talking about a freefall onto a skull or other item resulting in accident say such as striking a moving vehicle causing additionional collisions, etc.
This is what they said:

The most common injuries were lacerations, cuts, and bruises. Arterburn says that the inexact science of concussions prevented a realistic assessment of the risk of that type of injury. There was only one incident of serious eye damage though ASSURE acknowledges that the rotating blades on ubiquitous quad-copter drones will lead to ocular injuries. Among its recommendations to the FAA is rotor/blade guards for such drones and development of medical mitigation procedures.

I agree that prop guards will save a lot of fingers being cut up. I also want to see these folks incorporate the Verity Studio FailSafe software for drones in case the motors fail.

Here is a link to the Verity Studio’s fail safe software for drones in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h1Kh152ygU - https://veritystudios.com/news/wired-verity-studios-failsafe

That’s been demoed for several years already (2013) so it seems there is more to implementing than what is being said.

While all situations vary, Not sure I’d like to be hit by a wildly whirling drone as opposed to one falling dead-stick.

That’s been demoed for several years already (2013) so it seems there is more to implementing than what is being said.

While all situations vary, Not sure I’d like to be hit by a wildly whirling drone as opposed to one falling dead-stick.
November Romeo Whiskey, they have those hot dog safe table saws, I wonder why some of that technology could not be applied to drone props. Both electric...

Have you studied how they work?

Not gonna happen on a drone.

I remember my engineering curiosity caused me to look into it when they first hit the market, but that info has been crowded out, given that I am running ou tof space up there it seems. First In First out And if I only need half a dog, I just use a small steak knife. :cool:

Please stay clear of humans.If the drone Whirls out of the sky for some unknown reason , if the DRONE GODS OF THE UNIVERSE GET CONTROL OF YOUR DRONE AND SHOOT IT OUT OF THE SKY LIKE MISSILE There’s nothing you can do about it.
All kidding aside the drone will cut a human up.
A few weeks back I was fly around my yard and to close to my wife trying to show off ?and the Wind picked up and the umbrella top hit the dron and flipped it over and the drone landed between her legs and cut her leg before
I could stop it.

I’m getting sick and tired of sleeping on that couch. My back hurts?

Last edited:
Please stay clear of humans.If the drone Whirls out of the sky for some unknown reason , if the DRONE GODS OF THE UNIVERSE GET CONTROL OF YOUR DRONE AND SHOOT IT OUT OF THE SKY LIKE MISSILE There’s nothing you can do about it.
A few weeks back I was fly around my yard and to close to my wife trying to show off ?and the Wind picked up and the umbrella top hit the dron and flipped it over and the drone landed between her legs and cut her leg before
I could stop it.

I’m getting sick and tired of sleeping on that couch. My back hurts?
Try the dog's bed. It's more comfortable.

I could stop it.

I
’m getting sick and tired of sleeping on that couch. My back hurts?

Can you see where the problem could be.....;)

Jerry

Just for perspective, the damage done by a car going the other way at 50 mph on a small country road where you are also doing 50 mph would be a fatal crash. The risk is accepted because the actual number of head on collisions is very low. I believe, if drone pilots follow FAA rules and guidelines and don’t fly near people, the likelihood of injuring an innocent bystander is very remote.

November Romeo Whiskey, they have those hot dog safe table saws, I wonder why some of that technology could not be applied to drone props. Both electric...

Similar tech could be applied to the rotating props, but the cost and weight penalty of such a system would be high and the benefit would be very limited in a drone/face collision. Also, a relatively light prop “frozen” in place relative to the airframe suddenly becomes more massive and destructive, which could be worse than a relatively light prop that can rotate out of the way during the impact.

The table saw system is a mechanical device that is destructive to the saw blade, break and potentially the motor. Basically, the system jams a block of metal into the teeth of the rotating saw blade, which stops the blade. At least the break and blade need to be replaced once the system is engaged. Still, this is more acceptable than lost fingers, etc.

You could probably make UAS propellers safer by building-in a point of weakness at the root of each blade so they break on impact. This would be a cheap solution.

If we like to completely remove any risk of injuries by drones we already have the solution. It is the parachute which prevents drone to fall with high speed from the sky and in the same time it instantly stop propellers. If we are going to fly close to people it should be a must!

"Completely remove any risk..."??? With a parachute? LOL

Numerous scenarios where a parachute can fail including partial deployment and even if/when deployed properly can still cause collateral damage and create a chain of events resulting in other casualties.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.