What happens when a drone gets ingested by an aircraft engine, FAA ready to conduct live test . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This could be VERY interesting and it's WAY over due IMHO.. Click link below for the ARTICLE . . .

What happens when a drone gets ingested by an aircraft engine, FAA ready to conduct live test

Discuss it but be NICE to each other.
Thanks for posting the article. I am anxious to see the resulting video. I hope they also record video from the drone's camera as it enters the engine.

I would love to be the one who gets to fly the drone into the engine. A once in a lifetime (God willing) opportunity.

Last edited:
@Oso I agree completely. This should be entertaining to say the least.

This will be very interesting. I think its safe to say that a large bird like a Canadian goose can take out an engine, it's happened. I would think a phantom sized drone would have a similiar effect although it is smaller and lighter than a Canadian goose. I doubt a drone without a battery installed would do much damage but with the battery? I guess we will see.

This will be very interesting. I think its safe to say that a large bird like a Canadian goose can take out an engine, it's happened. I would think a phantom sized drone would have a similiar effect although it is smaller and lighter than a Canadian goose. I doubt a drone without a battery installed would do much damage but with the battery? I guess we will see.

I totally agree. Other than the motors the battery is pretty much the only "rigid" and dense portion of the UAS until you get into the larger units.

Keep in mind that the Goose, while being heavier than Phantoms & Mavics is a lot less dense and the bird is soft tissue and hollow bones. Would you rather get hit by 5 lbs of feathers and guts in a bag or a Phantom Battery sized object weighing 1lb? I'd prefer neither but I'll take the bag of feathers & guts over the 1lb brick.

Something on the line of miracle on the Potomac total engine loss, the results will be interesting to say the least

Reactions: BigAl07
I totally agree. Other than the motors the battery is pretty much the only "rigid" and dense portion of the UAS until you get into the larger units.

Keep in mind that the Goose, while being heavier than Phantoms & Mavics is a lot less dense and the bird is soft tissue and hollow bones. Would you rather get hit by 5 lbs of feathers and guts in a bag or a Phantom Battery sized object weighing 1lb? I'd prefer neither but I'll take the bag of feathers & guts over the 1lb brick.
Well lol. Being a Canadian who deals with Canadian geese every spring during mating season I can tell you, they weigh much more than 5 pounds and fear nothing, and can seriously injure a human. I've even seen one put the run on a grizzly cub while its mother watched (and i swear she was laughing). I can honestly say id much rather deal with a Phantom trying to get me!

Reactions: SelfBiased
" The FAA is working on a timeline to award contracts and move forward with the live ingestion test. "
maybe Boeing has a plane laying around ? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
" The FAA is working on a timeline to award contracts and move forward with the live ingestion test. "
maybe Boeing has a plane laying around ? ;)

Or a few dozen LOL :)

Ditto.... Should have already been done when the first "Those Drones will crash an airliner" theories and bad press were first seen and heard.

Jerry

It will be interesting to see what happens with this test. Also what kind of drone they use. There's a big difference between a mavic, and something like an M-600.
I wonder what they will use. Either way it probably won't turn out well for the engine. Also, flying straight into the engine is although possible the most unlikely place for the drone to hit.
Looking forward to seeing the results.

The FAA should sell tickets to this event to help offset the costs.
Count me in. I’ll supply my own safety goggles.

Show or not show the result will probably be not good for drones. The blades of a jet engine are of stiff material and as it must light as well it is prone to brake at high speed impact with any object. The soft tissue of birds may do less demage then the stiff object but all depends of it's weigt.
It would be interesting to know which craft would get more harm the jet or a propeller driven
Ò

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl