What do you guys do with your drones?

Reaction score
I'm new, I'm very intrigued and really think the new P3 would be cool and fun to own. I've never been into photography but like the idea of shooting cool video. I'm just curious, do most people get these types of camera drone mostly for photography? fun? what other cool stuff to do? I'm on the verge of buying one but want it to have lasting appeal...cheers!

tonight I've launch the bird in a weather front to record lightning.... haven't had a chance to download yet as I'm here .... hope they recorder-ed, if not next time....

All honesty to me it gives a completely different view of life! Save any memory as they never will come around again! Video, photo all the same capture in my mind. Being a different view from the terra firma...(sp)

JUST don't miss life cause you're watching a screen!!!

Nuff said?

DJI00763.JPG

Reactions: Stevie_UK
I'm trying to push myself over the edge to buy one...I'm the dad of a 6 year old daughter and watched a vid on the forums here of a dad doing a flyover of his daughter riding a bike.....pushed me a bit closer.....what other cool stuff of my daughter could I film/do?

I'm trying to push myself over the edge to buy one...I'm the dad of a 6 year old daughter and watched a vid on the forums here of a dad doing a flyover of his daughter riding a bike.....pushed me a bit closer.....what other cool stuff of my daughter could I film/do?

It's a flying camera..... what other convincing do you need? If you don't have a 4K TV, then get the advance. 1080P at 60 FPS... nuff said. If your not sure what that means, you need to get on YouTube and look at gopro slow mo videos.... yes, I understand the P3 doesn't have a Gopro.. I'm just using it as an example.

I shoot big scenic panoramas that are going to be even better with the P3's camera.
1276-8a-L.jpg

If you think that looks ok, you should see it full screen ... go to my website for that.

tonight I've launch the bird in a weather front to record lightning.... haven't had a chance to download yet as I'm here .... hope they recorder-ed, if not next time....

All honesty to me it gives a completely different view of life! Save any memory as they never will come around again! Video, photo all the same capture in my mind. Being a different view from the terra firma...(sp)

JUST don't miss life cause you're watching a screen!!!

Well I am glad I'm not the only crazy one, three days ago I was flying into an approaching storm front too looking to get some nice lightning and whirling cloud video. As a side objective I managed to get a tad over 65 MPH out of my old P2V with the tail wind but I need 70 MPH for the next Flytrex badge. Maybe next storm. But I did get a few minutes of some lightning strikes. Fortunately not into the Phantom.

Ive had my Vision for 15 months, all I do is fly round my local field taking the odd pic and video. Nothing like the pics above :(

This the best Ive ever done........

Attachments

• DJI0200.jpg
    DJI0200.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 589
Reactions: Intrepid97
I shoot big scenic panoramas that are going to be even better with the P3's camera.
1276-8a-L.jpg

If you think that looks ok, you should see it full screen ... go to my website for that.
That looks great
Do you mind sharing your settings with us? Your camera settings and equipment please ,

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Set follow-me mode to record her riding her bike from 30 ft away in front of her...or other activities she might do

That looks great
Do you mind sharing your settings with us? Your camera settings and equipment please
Thanks ... I fly the Advanced and usually shoot in auto and jpg.
You can read about the technique here: SkyPixel - Connecting Creativity
But you can see the pic full screen from my photo website.

Reactions: Grae
Thing to remember about the Phantom is its an "Aerial Photography" platform. Its designed to do just that. While it is fun to fly around, its not super agile when compared to a Blade QX3 (in stability or agility mode). So keep that in mind. I find I still use my QX3 for just "zipping" around.

I too am no photographer but wanted something to record some of the interesting places I visit on my motorcycle, especially high up in the Rockies or maybe record some of our hikes or outdoor events we attend.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom
If you haven't yet, watch the DJI "follow me mode" and "point of interest mode" videos on the DJI website. Both would be great for good use with your daughter. (as for druid mentioned) I use mine for fun, aerial farm shots, lake erie shots and other "fun" stuff. My "real" reasons for buying are a bit different than the norm. What pushed me over the edge to buy my P3A was the price drop and the ability to check my crops and borders on my farm. I own 205 acres and lease another connecting 170 acres. I have the hunting rights also on the 170 acre lease and watch the property for the out of state landowners. I can check field and crop conditions from my back yard as well as fly my borders and check if I can cross the creeks all from my back yard. I'm able to fly a 100 acre parcel borders in about 3 minutes. Love it!!! Oh, and no more running to that remote 10 acre field every night to chase the deer away blasting the sky with a shotgun, drone patrol to chase them out now. (they graze this soybean field down to nothing every year!)

I spy on my hot blonde neighbour ( just kidding )

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It is first and foremost a camera. Think of it as a decent action camera on a toy helicopter.

It really does help to have a fair knowledge of digital photography (and/or video), from both the shooting and editing perspectives. The cameras that come with the P3P and P3A are not unlike the best GoPro cameras, with lots of settings and choices.

Right out of the box, you can take perfectly good photos and videos with the default settings. But it helps to have a comprehensive editing program or app on your computer to edit and improve them.

99,99% of the time standing on a shelf. The rest of the time for arial-photografy.
I also agree with TonG that, after the first six months, it's hard to come up with new things and places to photograph that are legal and safe -- meaning not over people and property, or over prohibited places, and where you have not already been.

The are perfectly legal to take on airplanes. But if you do travel with it, make sure it's OK to fly at places when you arrive -- like not in National Parks or other places that "frown" on drone use.

Think of any new toy or gadget you've bought in the past, like a camera, car, phone, computer, or sports equipment. The first few days and weeks, you can't get enough of using them. Then ultimately, you move on to the next thing.

I'm an extreme photo nut, so I like my P3P a lot. And I've gotten permission to shoot in lots a great places. But until my next special photo event or trip out of town, I've pretty-much covered the area where I live.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers