What computer is everyone using to edit 4K video?

Hey the 29th you can upgrade free to Windows 10 if you have Windows 7or 8 with all the upgrades. 10 will go right in.

REALLY ???................
:D:D:D

Really what? Do I have an iMac? Yes. Do I use FCPX? Yes. Is it an unbeatable combination? Yes. Is Widows a big heap of utter bloody cr4p? Yes.
Or did you have something else in mind? Did you forget to keep typing after all those dots?

My current laptop is a Asus windows 7 which has an older I7 cpu running a 2 ghz. I know the issue is with the type of memory and video card. What type of OS is best to edit 4K video? I am looking for a laptop but not sure which OS Apple or Microsoft? And which model laptop?

I have seen and used a 2012 Macbook Pro that you can pick up for around $1,200 new. The playback and editing works like a charm. I'm using a 2010 iMac and it chokes way too much. Too much choppy, too much lagging, the processor takes forever to render and finalize projects. It gets the job done. But, its a headache. Moral of the story, the new iMacs and Macbook Pros should be more than capable of editing and playback. I'm waiting for the 4k iMac that will be announced sometime in September-October before I upgrade.

What Intel core do you have? Apple is offering the iMac 27 in to configurations. Also, what type of storage, it seems the have a 1TB Flash. I prices out a iMac with 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 1 TB flash storare and AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB video card, total direct from Apple $4,268 the price does not include any software. It this a over kill for 4K video editing?
Hahaha oh the irony - $1k + for the P3 Professional 4k camera & $4k+ for the editing capabilities of the 4k video :D

All of this is unnecessary, as this is overkill. You can edit/playback just fine on a 2012 Macbook Pro as I stated in the comment above. If you buy one of the new iMac 2013 or the imac 5k or macbook pro with retina display. They will all edit and playback just fine. Now if you want to spend $4k+ on a computer thats up to you. The only difference you will see is how fast its able to render and finalize - thats it. My old 2010 iMac can render projects in under an hour and finalize projects in about 1-3 hours. I figure the newer iMacs and Macbook Pros will only take 30 mins? 1 hour to finalize? The more money you spend the faster it will process, so like I said its overkill if your just looking for a computer to get the job done. I'm waiting on the new line of iMacs to be released this September - October before I upgrade.

All of this is unnecessary, as this is overkill. You can edit/playback just fine on a 2012 Macbook Pro as I stated in the comment above. If you buy one of the new iMac 2013 or the imac 5k or macbook pro with retina display. They will all edit and playback just fine. Now if you want to spend $4k+ on a computer thats up to you. The only difference you will see is how fast its able to render and finalize - thats it. My old 2010 iMac can render projects in under an hour and finalize projects in about 1-3 hours. I figure the newer iMacs and Macbook Pros will only take 30 mins? 1 hour to finalize? The more money you spend the faster it will process, so like I said its overkill if your just looking for a computer to get the job done. I'm waiting on the new line of iMacs to be released this September - October before I upgrade.
DrewFlies, thanks for the comments the more I read the more I am leaning towards an Apple. I guess my next step should be to take a ride over to an Apple store with some 4K video and see just see which Mac's can process the video best.

DrewFlies, thanks for the comments the more I read the more I am leaning towards an Apple. I guess my next step should be to take a ride over to an Apple store with some 4K video and see just see which Mac's can process the video best.

yeah like I said, even an older discontinued 2012 macbook pro model will playback the video very smooth. Processing and editing will be smooth as well. But, of course the more money you spend, better processor, video card, memory, hard drive of course will speed things up thats really about it. You won't really be able to test editing on their computers there. If you just want the job done and dont mind 20-30 minute renders and about 30 min- 1 hour finalizing then get a cheaper iMac / Macbook Pro for around $1,100 - $1,500. If time matters to you spend more money and get the iMac 5k. My best advice is wait for the newer 4k model to release around September and October. Trust me.

I purchased one of these last week for editing 4k videos:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-7548-laptop/pd?oc=dncwq5238b&model_id=inspiron-15-7548-laptop

Needless to say, the 4k display was the deal-breaker for me. Windows 8.1 plays 4k video quite smoothly in the Video app. I downloaded GoPro Studio (free) for editing. Not bad for $1099.
How does the video play? It seems this unit has only 3 gig of memory on the video card. And did you get the 8 gig memory or 12 gig version?

Really what? Do I have an iMac? Yes. Do I use FCPX? Yes. Is it an unbeatable combination? Yes. Is Widows a big heap of utter bloody cr4p? Yes.
Or did you have something else in mind? Did you forget to keep typing after all those dots?
Interesting since statistics says in the U.S. Thst MAC's have 12% of the house hold and out of those 85% also own Windows PC'S. The good news is MAC's sales has increased 12%. Also interesting to note was MAC users were more likely to own additional tablets, PDa's and high end cell phone. MAC users must be techies. This comes from arstechnica.com stats
However, Windows is still the majority of user. Kinda like Ford and Chevy.... Which is best is opinion. You have yours and I have more of mine, Windows that is. Did I mention that android is up and comming ....

Reactions: louforgiveno
I'm not sure why you guys with your tech abilities aren't building the best of both worlds. I have a machine if purchased through Apple that would cost around $4200 hundred dollars. I have about $1500 dollars in parts. I run both Windows 8.1, and Yosemite. I can edit in either OS, but prefer the Mac side for video (FCPX) , and photography (Photoshop). Super fast regardless of which OS I boot, a gaming beast on the Windows side, just pure entertainment with multimedia on the Mac side. Go to this website, and begin the journey!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/

How does the video play? It seems this unit has only 3 gig of memory on the video card. And did you get the 8 gig memory or 12 gig version?
Haven't had any issues at all with 4k video playback or editing. In fact, I can now play the files directly off the P3/I1 memory card when using a USB card reader. I was previously using a Win 7 laptop that also had a Core i7 w/8GB RAM...but 4k playback performance was poor. I suspect the video card in the new laptop is making the biggest difference. Also, I went with 8GB.

Tomorrow, I plan to upgrade to Windows 10 and see how that works out.

Reactions: air kuld
i7 4770k
16gb Corsair Dominator RAM
500GB SSD drive
Nvidia 780ti

It churns outs 4k like a dream

IMG_2506.JPG

- Adam

That is one of the cleanest cases I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of them. Did you build it yourself or direct purchase from a Boutique store?

i7 4770k
16gb Corsair Dominator RAM
500GB SSD drive
Nvidia 780ti

It churns outs 4k like a dream

- Adam

That's cute :p

4.2GHz and remember that's 8 cores to overclock, Who needs water cooling :D

Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz LGA 2011-v3

Asus Sabertooth X99 ATX DDR4 3000 (o.c.) Intel LGA 2011-v3 Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR4

4x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB RAID 0 (Scratch media drive)

1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB OS Drive

2x WD Velociraptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB Spinner Storage

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc Rewriter

Thermaltake Suppressor F-51 E-ATX Mid Tower

Seasonic 1050W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS Platinum Certified Full Modular Active PFC SNOW SILENT-1050

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Super Clocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Noctua NH-D15 Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A15 x 2 PWM Retail Cooling Fans

Don't need tons of storage since my NAS takes care of that.. Just need fast storage :)

20150727_152922.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sergekouper
Here we go, the old paranoia... It's ok, don't worry... you have a lovely computer... ;)

I7 5820K 6 core clocked at 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, R9 290X, Asrock X99 killer motherboard, 256GB Vertex 4 SSD and 3TB storage drive, custom water cooled. Chews it up and spits it out. 6GB render with a couple filters applied takes maybe 30 to 40 minutes depending on the filters.

My Late 2013 13" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz I5 8GB 256SSD works just fine with 4K. I use final cut pro.

I built mine about 18 months ago around a Intel Ivy Bridge-E i7-4930K. I only put half the memory in (32GB) and that is plenty for now. The video board is only a 2GB GTX 660 and seems a little slow running 4k files through DaVinchi Resolve which does all its rendering in the GPU. I might upgrade that. I am still using my >10 year old 30" Dell monitor. It's only "2.5k" but I don't want one of the new cheapo 4k 30Hz monitors - will wait until real ones are more affordable. I sometimes take my 4k output to work where we have a 70" 4k TV - very nice.

I was really on the fence about 4k in general and used the P3 to see if it's worth it. In general I've decided that for normal shooting I use 1080-60 but if I am on a trip somewhere or doing anything super scenic, I use 4k. While it takes longer to edit and render the output, on a large 4k screen, is stunning.

I use my ageing gaming PC, getting ready to build a new one. Need a new chipset!

ASUS Maximus Gene V
i7-3770K, 32GB RAM, R9 290x
256gb SSD for OS, Storage on NAS

IMAG0268.jpg

That's cute :p

4.2GHz and remember that's 8 cores to overclock, Who needs water cooling :D

Intel Core i7-5960X Haswell-E 8-Core 3.0GHz LGA 2011-v3

Asus Sabertooth X99 ATX DDR4 3000 (o.c.) Intel LGA 2011-v3 Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix 32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR4

4x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB RAID 0 (Scratch media drive)

1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB OS Drive

2x WD Velociraptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB Spinner Storage

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc Rewriter

Thermaltake Suppressor F-51 E-ATX Mid Tower

Seasonic 1050W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS Platinum Certified Full Modular Active PFC SNOW SILENT-1050

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Super Clocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Noctua NH-D15 Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A15 x 2 PWM Retail Cooling Fans

Don't need tons of storage since my NAS takes care of that.. Just need fast storage :)

View attachment 26023
Now this is what I call serious stuff!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl