What batteries is everyone using??

Reaction score
Sorry if its been asked before
Just about to order some Turnigy Nano Techs 2200Mah - 25-50C
Can a higher Mah be used to give slightly longer flight times?

porl_hopkins said:
Sorry if its been asked before
Just about to order some Turnigy Nano Techs 2200Mah - 25-50C
Can a higher Mah be used to give slightly longer flight times?

the thing about higher mah batteries is they are larger in size and may not fit in your phantom easily.

all 5 of my batteries are 2200mah. 3 of them are 20C, 2 are 30C.
the higher the C the higher the discharge rate, so if anything the higher the C the less time you will get....though you may get a little better reaction.

The "C" rating is very misunderstood. Most sellers will state that the higher "C" rating means longer flight times. That isn't necessarily true, but it isn't totally wrong either. If you are a passive flier, you will probably notice a slight increase in flight times, but an aggressive flier probably won't. However, what you will notice with a higher "C" rating is a cooler battery after the flight, and longer battery life. The "C" rating is how much current can be drawn during peak work loads. In other words, if you are going full bore and doing a lot of crazy maneuvers, you will draw more current. A lower "C" battery won't be able to handle it as well and you might notice some performance issues. The higher "C" battery will perform more consistently and better during peak workloads. So you should always opt for a higher "C" battery, but don't expect significant improvement in flight times. They are also more expensive. If you want more flight time go for dual batteries instead.

I use these batteries, actually the Stock battery is used for my monitor and VTX only flying the other 2 types.

The storm 2700mah is a very tight fit but they just fit into my case and the door shuts but I also use a bit of velcro on the door just incase so it cant pop open. The extra capacity gives me an extra 1 1/2 to 2 minutes flight time.

The Turnigy and stock batteries are pretty much the same performance wise but the stock being 10g lighter, turnigy is cooler after a good manual mode thrashing so I use those instead.

beyk.jpg

q8v6.jpg

I replaced my battery door with a Velcro strap that attaches to the top,of the phantom. It allows me to use the bigger batteries, hooking up the cables outside the shell. No issues, but a little care to make sure the cables don't get in the way of the camera. Shaves a few grams off too.

I totally understand the C rating and Mah as I run rc electric cars. Just wondered if any one had come across a larger Mah with the same dimensions :?:

porl_hopkins said:
I totally understand the C rating and Mah as I run rc electric cars. Just wondered if any one had come across a larger Mah with the same dimensions :?:

I think that is unlikely as the extra capacity will mean a bigger battery physically if both are using the same tech. There is some promising research into new battery tech and imagine the possibilities with something like this.

The team led by Rice engineer Sibani Lisa Biswal and research scientist Madhuri Thakur reported in Nature’s open access journal Scientific Reports on the creation of a silicon-based anode, the negative electrode of a battery, that easily achieves 600 charge-discharge cycles at 1,000 milliamp hours per gram (mAh/g). This is a significant improvement over the 350 mAh/g capacity of current graphite anodes.

http://news.rice.edu/2012/11/01/rice-te ... tteries-2/

1000mah/g means that a battery the weight of the current stock phantom battery 178g for 2200mah could be a battery that is 178,000 mah :eek: You could get a 10,000mah battery in just 10 grams and once these sorts of battery's go into production the possibilities will be endless for battery powered devices. You could run laptops for weeks if not months same as phones and our beloved RC flying machines can be flown for hours.

Looking at battery tech I wonder why there are no Li-ion batteries being used? maybe discharge rates no good but how is this for an example.

19-234-3.jpg

Material: plastic
Input: 12.6V DC
Output: 12.6-10.8V DC, 6800mAh
Dimensions: 11.4X 5.7X 2.0CM
Net weight: 231 g
Power adapter: 140 cm
Power cable cord: 85 cm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-12V-6800 ... 0986984303

Some interesting info on batteries here. http://www.hotslots132.com/differences- ... a-268.html

Below is a quote just regarding discharge rates.

Discharge rate

This is simply how fast a battery can be discharged safely. In RC LiPo battery world it is called the ’C’rating. A battery with a discharge rating of 10C means you could safely discharge it at a rate 10 times more than the capacity of the pack, a 15C pack = 15 times more, a 20C pack = 20 times more, and so on.
On a 20C rating on a 2000 mAh battery: 20 x 2000 = 40,000 milliamps or 40 amps. Time wise, a 40 amp draw on this pack would exhaust it in about 3 minutes (2000/60min = 33.3 per min. multiplied by 20c = 666 mAh per minute - divided into the packs capacity of 2000 mA = 3 minutes). Now that’s a lot of math!

Most RC LiPo Battery packs will show the continuous C rating and some are now indicating a burst rating as well. A burst rating indicates the battery discharge rate for short bursts of extended power. An example might be something like “Discharge rate = 20C Continuous/40C Bursts”

The higher the C rating, usually the more expensive the battery. This is where you can save some money. Getting an extremely high discharge rated pack when there is no way you could possibly pull the full amount of power is not required but it won't hurt either. The most important thing is you can't go with too low a discharge C rating or you will damage your battery and possibly your ESC (electronic speed control).
So how do you know what C rating to get when purchasing your LiPo RC Battery Pack? The easy answer most will give is to get the largest C rating you can. RC LiPo packs are coming down in price all the time. If you find a 35C pack for the same price as a 25C when that is all you need, go for the 35C pack - it will run cooler and have a longer life span. Like most things, pushing a Lipo pack hard close to its limits will wear it out and reduce it's useful capacity in very short order. If however you get a pack with a C discharge rating at least double of the maximum you intend to pull out of it, with proper care, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get at least 400 charge and discharge cycles out of it with little degradation.

martcerv said:
porl_hopkins said:

I think that is unlikely as the extra capacity will mean a bigger battery physically if both are using the same tech. There is some promising research into new battery tech and imagine the possibilities with something like this.

The team led by Rice engineer Sibani Lisa Biswal and research scientist Madhuri Thakur reported in Nature’s open access journal Scientific Reports on the creation of a silicon-based anode, the negative electrode of a battery, that easily achieves 600 charge-discharge cycles at 1,000 milliamp hours per gram (mAh/g). This is a significant improvement over the 350 mAh/g capacity of current graphite anodes.

http://news.rice.edu/2012/11/01/rice-te ... tteries-2/

1000mah/g means that a battery the weight of the current stock phantom battery 178g for 2200mah could be a battery that is 178,000 mah :eek: You could get a 10,000mah battery in just 10 grams and once these sorts of battery's go into production the possibilities will be endless for battery powered devices. You could run laptops for weeks if not months same as phones and our beloved RC flying machines can be flown for hours.

Looking at battery tech I wonder why there are no Li-ion batteries being used? maybe discharge rates no good but how is this for an example.

19-234-3.jpg

Material: plastic
Input: 12.6V DC
Output: 12.6-10.8V DC, 6800mAh
Dimensions: 11.4X 5.7X 2.0CM
Net weight: 231 g
Power adapter: 140 cm
Power cable cord: 85 cm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-12V-6800 ... 0986984303

I use a battery that looks similar to that blue one for powering the 7" screen and av receiver, also going to attach a SD-DVR to record the telemetry video :)

The battery I have is "super polymer lithium-ion" 12v 6800MaH and weights a little less than a phantom battery?? Because of that, I've been a little suspect about the capacity, but so far, it has been fine for me :)

Its actually quite handy, has 2x 2.5mm dc plugs and a switch built onto the unit!

I am going to use a Glacier 2600 but it is 9mm longer, can we get the door closed? Or I was going to put the connectors outside the body.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20