What are the .srt files for?

Reaction score
I thought .srt files are for movie subtitles. Since the P3 didn't record any audio I supposed the srt files are flying log data. After renaming an srt file to an .txt extension, I've confirm that but I also supposed that there are better way to read and process those log files than opening them in a text editor...

Maher

You are correct maher, they are subtitle files. If you open the video with a program such as VLC, the subtitles will show you your GPS coordinates, camera exposure, etc...

Reactions: NRJ and Wulfman_78
You are correct maher, they are subtitle files. If you open the video with a program such as VLC, the subtitles will show you your GPS coordinates, camera exposure, etc...
Nice first post vmp.

Welcome to the forum. ;)

Where exactly I can find srt files?

Reactions: trevornewkirk
Oh .. Thanks.. now it'clear
Assuming the sarcasm I sense is real, I don't have my quad sitting on my desk at work so can't check, but the option exists and it's in the app. Go find it like everyone else who has. If there's no sarcasm, then you're welcome.

Assuming the sarcasm I sense is real, I don't have my quad sitting on my desk at work so can't check, but the option exists and it's in the app. Go find it like everyone else who has. If there's no sarcasm, then you're welcome.

Sorry if I gave a sarcasm sense @bbfpv, but it wasn't my intention and I didn't know I had to enable that option..

The SRT files are the metadata for the flight and are incredibly useful for reviewing the exact characteristics of the flight. I'm surprised that tey put the information in a separate file, it's normally embedded in the video metadata as CC or KLV.

The data may not be immediately useful to the average hobbyist, but the video combined with the metadata can be further processed by specialized software to create landscape mosaics or 3D models of the areas in the video.

Reactions: Squirrel!
Those of you that have used the .srt file, what method are you using?

I guess I'm asking for an example on using them?

Hb is height in meters, but what is Hs? And what is Hb relative to? Your takeoff point? What about Hs? Is there other data you could have it also display? Like distance relative to the controller or takeoff point>

The SRT files are the metadata for the flight and are incredibly useful for reviewing the exact characteristics of the flight. I'm surprised that tey put the information in a separate file, it's normally embedded in the video metadata as CC or KLV.

The data may not be immediately useful to the average hobbyist, but the video combined with the metadata can be further processed by specialized software to create landscape mosaics or 3D models of the areas in the video.

do pictures get this metadata also?
specifically coordinate/height where they were taken?

It depend on the way you play the video. There is no standard.

With youtube, you have to upload after the video is uploaded the .SRT file as subtitle for a given language. So it is merged in the video and you can display it on/off with the CC button at bottom right, left to the gear where you select the video resolution.

With VLC player, it comes automatically (if subtitle enabled and if the .SRT file is in the same directory and with same name as the video).

For other video players you have to dig in the help on your own, with some it will just be impossible.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic