What are the .srt files for?

Where can I enable SRT file? Mine didn't come that way by default and I can't figure out anywhere to turn them on.

on ios
camera settings -> more -> video caption (turn it on)

on android it should be something similar.

Hb is height in meters, but what is Hs? And what is Hb relative to? Your takeoff point? What about Hs? Is there other data you could have it also display? Like distance relative to the controller or takeoff point>
H's is the height in meter from the ultraSound sensor.

Hi,

One of the big advantages using the SRT file is to georreference your videos. The precision of GPS coordinates registered in the SRT file reaches the 11m (that corresponds to 4 decimal digits of decimal degrees). So, using Notepad++ is possible to directly open/see the .SRT files like this small example:
"1
00:00:01,000 --> 00:00:02,000
HOME(-9.2558,38.7040) 2015.12.05 13:36:31
GPS(-9.2558,38.7035,16) BAROMETER:6.6 ULTRASONIC:0.0
ISO:100 Shutter:1250 EV: 0 Fnum:F2.8"

This SRT file was generated with Pathom 3 Pro (firmware 1.4.1). For precisions under 1m DJI should use 6 decimal digits (corresponding to 0.11m). This would allow better georeferencing results.
A great tool to have would be the one that could have the video syncronized with Google Maps using this metadata registers. I'll investigate more about this and report here any findings.

Nice flights,
Nuno

Hi,

One of the big advantages using the SRT file is to georreference your videos. The precision of GPS coordinates registered in the SRT file reaches the 11m (that corresponds to 4 decimal digits of decimal degrees). So, using Notepad++ is possible to directly open/see the .SRT files like this small example:
"1
00:00:01,000 --> 00:00:02,000
HOME(-9.2558,38.7040) 2015.12.05 13:36:31
GPS(-9.2558,38.7035,16) BAROMETER:6.6 ULTRASONIC:0.0
ISO:100 Shutter:1250 EV: 0 Fnum:F2.8"

This SRT file was generated with Pathom 3 Pro (firmware 1.4.1). For precisions under 1m DJI should use 6 decimal digits (corresponding to 0.11m). This would allow better georeferencing results.
A great tool to have would be the one that could have the video syncronized with Google Maps using this metadata registers. I'll investigate more about this and report here any findings.

Nice flights,
Nuno

Thanks for the info and time spent. :)

I wrote a Perl script that converts the Latitude/Longitude values into distance from launch point (in feet) and speed (averaged over five samples). I found the raw info not that helpful. I've attached it here. It needs one Perl package installed from CPAN. The package is Geo::Distance

I had to use an extension of .txt to get this forum to allow me to upload it, but it is a Perl script. It reads STDIN and writes to STDOUT.

Attachments

• calc-dist.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 164
You are correct maher, they are subtitle files. If you open the video with a program such as VLC, the subtitles will show you your GPS coordinates, camera exposure, etc...

Also, if you have JetAudio, you can tell it to show the subtitles too. Just sayin...

I wrote a Perl script that converts the Latitude/Longitude values into distance from launch point (in feet) and speed (averaged over five samples). I found the raw info not that helpful. I've attached it here. It needs one Perl package installed from CPAN. The package is Geo::Distance

I had to use an extension of .txt to get this forum to allow me to upload it, but it is a Perl script. It reads STDIN and writes to STDOUT.

Matt- I downloaded you Perl script. Thanks for creating this!
Just curious though, being a Mac user (experienced user) how would I run this script on a Mac? The goal would be to alter the .SRT file to display values you set up in the script rather than the default raw GPS coordinates, Barometric altitude in meters etc. After translating the .SRT file, I would use it to display more relevant telemetry in my videos for reference.

Just curious though, being a Mac user (experienced user) how would I run this script on a Mac? The goal would be to alter the .SRT file to display values you set up in the script rather than the default raw GPS coordinates, Barometric altitude in meters etc. After translating the .SRT file, I would use it to display more relevant telemetry in my videos for reference.

Phantom Overlay app just does something similar on a mac. Check the examples.
It generates GPX files that you can use with Garmin Virb Edit to add nicely designed overlays.
Or generate FCPXML files for simple import into final cut pro, to display GPS info as text on your video.
And check the KML files in Google Earth.

To use the script after you have downloaded it you open the Terminal app and in that do this once

chmod a+rwx "name of script"

That makes it executable. Then in the terminal change directory to where you have a .srt file

cd "dir path"

then do this

"script name" < "name of .srt file" > "new name with .srt suffix"

That's all unixy sort of stuff, in case you've not used the command line before. The "quoted" strings are where you substitute in the appropriate names.

Resist the urge to tell the script to write on top of the original file name, unix will happily erase the file in the process.

Matt

To use the script after you have downloaded it you open the Terminal app and in that do this once

That makes it executable. Then in the terminal change directory to where you have a .srt file

cd "dir path"

then do this

That's all unixy sort of stuff, in case you've not used the command line before. The "quoted" strings are where you substitute in the appropriate names.

Resist the urge to tell the script to write on top of the original file name, unix will happily erase the file in the process.

Matt

Thanks Matt!

Looking forward to trying it at home tonight…

Mark

Thanks guys. Thought this was an apple thing and had overlooked it.
Learned something today.

cd "dir path"

then do this

Matt

Hi Matt,

Well, looks like I need a bit more user friendly information to make this work.
Your script, calc-dist.pl (I changed the .txt to .pl), is able to generate a new .srt file, but it's always empty (0 bits in size).
I'll paste in the lines from Terminal below so you can see what I typed and maybe offer some guidance?
Thanks,
Mark

Mac-mini-149:Desktop Mark$ chmod a+rwx /Users/Mark/Desktop/calc-dist.pl
Mac-mini-149:Desktop Mark$ cd /Users/Mark/Desktop
Mac-mini-149:Desktop Mark$ calc-dist.pl < DJI_0083.srt > NEW_0083.srt
-bash: calc-dist.pl: command not found

An
Hi Matt,

Well, looks like I need a bit more user friendly information to make this work.
Your script, calc-dist.pl (I changed the .txt to .pl), is able to generate a new .srt file, but it's always empty (0 bits in size).
I'll paste in the lines from Terminal below so you can see what I typed and maybe offer some guidance?
Thanks,
Mark

Mac-mini-149:Desktop Mark$ chmod a+rwx /Users/Mark/Desktop/calc-dist.pl
Mac-mini-149:Desktop Mark$ cd /Users/Mark/Desktop
Mac-mini-149:Desktop Mark$ calc-dist.pl < DJI_0083.srt > NEW_0083.srt
-bash: calc-dist.pl: command not found
Another 'unixy' thing, the script needs to be in your search path, or you need to execute it by specifying the full path to it. For you it will be far easier to do the latter, type the command like this;

./calc-dist.pl < DJI_0083.srt > NEW_0083.srt

The './' is unix for 'The directory where I am right now.'

An

Another 'unixy' thing, the script needs to be in your search path, or you need to execute it by specifying the full path to it. For you it will be far easier to do the latter, type the command like this;

./calc-dist.pl < DJI_0083.srt > NEW_0083.srt

The './' is unix for 'The directory where I am right now.'

Okay Matt,

It started to work, but the file still has 0 bits and in Terminal it showed the following errors:

Mac-mini-149:Desktop Mark$ ./calc-dist.pl < DJI_0083.srt > NEW_0083.srt
Can't locate Geo/Distance.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.12 /Network/Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.12 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.12.4 /System/Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.12 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.12 .) at ./calc-dist.pl line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./calc-dist.pl line 8.

Any thoughts?
Mark

.SRT files are files used as sidecar files to videos that contain closed captioning. Normally these files contain time markers and words used for the hearing impaired to see what was spoken. The P3 generates them with some flight data.

When you play a video back using a player that understands SRT files (VLC for example), the player reads the data in the SRT files and displays, what it thinks is closed captioning on the video as text. In the case of the P3 files, instead of spoken words its flight data.

Okay Matt,

It started to work, but the file still has 0 bits and in Terminal it showed the following errors:

Mac-mini-149:Desktop Mark$ ./calc-dist.pl < DJI_0083.srt > NEW_0083.srt
Can't locate Geo/Distance.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.12 /Network/Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.12 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.12.4 /System/Library/Perl/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.12 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.12/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.12 .) at ./calc-dist.pl line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./calc-dist.pl line 8.

Any thoughts?
Mark

Yes, you need the Perl Geo/Distance package installed, I mentioned that in my original post, that's the code that actually converts pairs of latitude/longitude points into distances. Do a google search on something like

perl install geo/distance package, or go to this link;

Geo::Distance - search.cpan.org

On the right you'll see a link for downloading the package. Once you download it you'll have a compressed 'archive', in the Mac finder you can just double-click that and it will expand into a folder. Switch into that folder and look for a README file, it will have instructions for commands you issue from the terminal to install the package. It's fairly simple and works fine on a Mac (which is a very standard Unix system).

Hope that helps.

Yes, you need the Perl Geo/Distance package installed, I mentioned that in my original post, that's the code that actually converts pairs of latitude/longitude points into distances. Do a google search on something like

perl install geo/distance package, or go to this link;

Geo::Distance - search.cpan.org

On the right you'll see a link for downloading the package. Once you download it you'll have a compressed 'archive', in the Mac finder you can just double-click that and it will expand into a folder. Switch into that folder and look for a README file, it will have instructions for commands you issue from the terminal to install the package. It's fairly simple and works fine on a Mac (which is a very standard Unix system).

Hope that helps.

Oops, I see that package does not include instructions for installing it. Not very friendly, they usually do. Anyway, from memory, the steps are

cd to the uncompressed package folder

then type these commands;

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

You may need to do that last step as an admin, like this

sudo make install

you will be prompted for the admin password.

Oops, I see that package does not include instructions for installing it. Not very friendly, they usually do. Anyway, from memory, the steps are

cd to the uncompressed package folder

then type these commands;

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

You may need to do that last step as an admin, like this

sudo make install

you will be prompted for the admin password.

Hi Matt,

I tried the commands as you wisely noticed were missing from the ReadMe file, but got the following from Terminal:

Mac-mini-149:Desktop Mark$ cd /Users/Mark/Desktop/Geo-Distance-0.20
Mac-mini-149:Geo-Distance-0.20 Mark$ perl Makefile.PL
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Warning: prerequisite Test::Fatal 0.007 not found. We have 0.006.
Writing Makefile for Geo::Distance
Mac-mini-149:Geo-Distance-0.20 Mark$ make
-bash: make: command not found
Mac-mini-149:Geo-Distance-0.20 Mark$ make test
Mac-mini-149:Geo-Distance-0.20 Mark$ make install

Looks like it failed some test?
Thanks,
Mark

Recent Posts

Members online