What altitude and distance to capture large parcel in 1 image

Reaction score
Assuming the field of view of the P4P camera, hoping I could get best estimates of how far away from the center of a land parcel I'd have to get and at what altitude in order to capture the entire parcel in one image. Trying to avoid a 180 Panorama.

The parcel is 4,000 feet x 4,000 feet. Also, it's flat as a pancake. Any educated guesses?

Thanks in advance for your brain power....

Reference: P4P Camera Specs

Last edited:
You'd need to fly well over 400 feet!

Easier and better resolution to create a 2d map using something like pix4d to capture a grid pattern.

You'd need to fly well over 400 feet!

Easier and better resolution to create a 2d map using something like pix4d to capture a grid pattern.
The landowner wants a shot from 1 fixed location. 2D look-down won't work. It needs to be roughly at a 45-degree angle at a sufficient distance to capture the entire parcel and still maintain acceptable resolution.

Assuming the field of view of the P4P, hoping I could get best estimates of how far away from the center of a land parcel I'd have to get and at what altitude in order to capture the entire parcel in one image. Trying to avoid a 180 Panorama.
The parcel is 4,000 feet x 4,000 feet.
To do this in one shot you would have to be at 4000 feet, which would cover an area of 6000 x 4000 feet.
This isn't going to work with a Phantom.
One way that will work is to fly a pattern across the site shooting overlapping images and stitch them to create something like this example created from 24 individual images and showing 22 acres
592-61bb-X3.jpg

The landowner wants a shot from 1 fixed location. 2D look-down won't work. It needs to be roughly at a 45-degree angle at a sufficient distance to capture the entire parcel and still maintain acceptable resolution.
The site is really too big to get in one shot.
To shoot an oblique you would still have to be back 2700 feet from the site to fit the horizontal dimension and would still need a lot of height to show any ground detail.
Shooting a stitched panorama from closer to the site is probably going to be a better solution.
Like this (6 images in 2 rows of 3):
DJI_0099-114a-X3.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers