Wedding Video - ALL Drone footage plus Things I Learned (First Time)

Reaction score
First try at a wedding video and doing it for free as a solo project. So, I didn't really direct where people go or what they did, or plan anything for that matter. I also didn't go to the reception, as I really wasn't formally invited haha. One of the bridesmaids is a friend and she "volun-told" me to do it. Any feedback would be awesome!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Things I Learned:
1. Drones can work handheld but may be jittery at times and even over-compensate with it's stabilizer when swinging the drone left to right.
2. I prefer controlling with the RC rather than wi-fi because you really can't pitch up and down smoothly without the RC.
3. Setting up a drone can take time. Swapping ND filters because clouds suddenly cover the sun takes time. Switching to 1080p for 60 or 96fps for slow-mo also takes time.
4. Prop sounds are very audible so choose when you should fly, preferably before the ceremony or after.
5. Drones make sounds too when handheld and running. I didn't want to bother any of the guests so I kept away if I could.
6. Finding free wedding songs is somewhat impossible. Any sites would be welcome!
7. I don't have close-ups during the actual wedding because I wasn't getting paid and felt bad for getting in there.
8. Working solo can get you to miss stuff that happen only once in a wedding. I had to drive to where the bride was prepping, then the groom, then back to the bride, straight to the venue, etc. so it was a lot of work.
9. I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots.
10. My positioning could have been better, but I didn't want to go where the professional photographers were hanging around in.
11. I enjoyed doing this wedding and am sure I can do a better job next time!

Very, very nice video. [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]
What model of drone were you using?
I understand that the whole video was shoot with drone camera, either flying or handheld.
As you say, it is difficult to be at every event or special moment with a flying drone making noise. I would suggest a second spare non flying drone ( like a P3) being used by a non-pilot helper. That would also give the pilot a reassurance in the case of an accidental crash with branches or something... In such a case, it is only needed to put propellers on spare drone and continue flying. That happened to me during a wedding. My p4 fell when touching overhanging leaves when going up for a travelling. After recovering drone and battery (gimball was not OK) I could continue shooting with a second P4 I had in the car trunk.
Also appropriate free music for wedding videos of "official" ceremonies is not easy to find at all. I do not know about laws in Canada permitting to put copywrited music in a video like yours made to be given privately for free. Here in Spain is not clear the regulation for that...

Reactions: Raincast
Hey, I used the Mavic for this one but I'm saving up for a Phantom (the next one hopefully!).

Having a spare is something I never actually considered, that's a great idea! Flying safely in a somewhat stressful shoot like these events can be pretty hard, so things can go sideways with our drones. I guess that would make my Mavic the spare one if I got a P5 haha

I just got the Youtube Subscription plan with Epidemic Sound and they'll let you keep monetizing with their music even if at some point you decide to cancel your subscription. If you do cancel, however, you can't post new videos with their songs anymore.

As you say, it is difficult to be at every event or special moment with a flying drone making noise. I
Very, very nice video. [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]
What model of drone were you using?
I understand that the whole video was shoot with drone camera, either flying or handheld.
As you say, it is difficult to be at every event or special moment with a flying drone making noise. I would suggest a second spare non flying drone ( like a P3) being used by a non-pilot helper. That would also give the pilot a reassurance in the case of an accidental crash with branches or something... In such a case, it is only needed to put propellers on spare drone and continue flying. That happened to me during a wedding. My p4 fell when touching overhanging leaves when going up for a travelling. After recovering drone and battery (gimball was not OK) I could continue shooting with a second P4 I had in the car trunk.
Also appropriate free music for wedding videos of "official" ceremonies is not easy to find at all. I do not know about laws in Canada permitting to put copywrited music in a video like yours made to be given privately for free. Here in Spain is not clear the regulation for that...

Reactions: Javier Ruiz O
Coordinate with the bride and groom and let them hear the drone prior to ceremony. When idol them and they want a unique shot during ceremony, entire thing is paused while shot is achieved then I go somewhere off station and hold there for next planned shot. Most brides are ok with this. Just get used to controlling and being confident in the shots you obtain to get them right.

Good tip! If I do end up with another project but being paid this time, I'll try out directing people. Thanks for watching!

Coordinate with the bride and groom and let them hear the drone prior to ceremony. When idol them and they want a unique shot during ceremony, entire thing is paused while shot is achieved then I go somewhere off station and hold there for next planned shot. Most brides are ok with this. Just get used to controlling and being confident in the shots you obtain to get them right.

Wow. Very cool. I been wondering how many drone wedding videos might start to crop up. I'm sure a lot of the shots could have been done with a handheld, but the shots you added that are only possible with a drone really made it stand out.

Reactions: Raincast
I'm glad you enjoyed the drone shots! They were more improvised than anything haha, but it worked! I was stressed out because I didn't want to do another take on any of the drone shots. If I was getting paid, then I'd have no problems giving directions and doing retakes. Thanks for the watch!

Wow. Very cool. I been wondering how many drone wedding videos might start to crop up. I'm sure a lot of the shots could have been done with a handheld, but the shots you added that are only possible with a drone really made it stand out.

It's really good experience so you can't go wrong either way! I don't think she would mind either!

They'd be very grateful for any memories captured by you, I'm sure.

Well done. I'm thinking of trying this for my niece's wedding. Not commercially, just for the couple.

Very true! I told them this was for their grandkids too haha

It was definitely a win-win for all of us. Thanks for looking into it!

I was amazed watching this. You made a memory for them that will never be duplicated. Awesome job

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31