We Need a National Drone Pilot Association, and We Need it Now!

So who is really willing to do the work?

Interesting post, Jeff. I was thinking along parallel, but different lines earlier today.

Where we agree: This is serious work. A professional organization is the only kind that is likely to succeed. It will take real money.

Where we differ: I have no interest in declaring war on the FAA or fighting anybody else. I absolutely am not interested in using the contemporary NRA as a template for anything (altho the NRA of decades past, that was devoted to the sport and education/training, would be fine). And unless there is somebody willing to write a check for millions of dollars right out of the gate, an offensive strategy is hopeless anyway.

In my view, the most promising approach is one where the new UAV Association works on at least five initiatives simultaneously:

1) Get organized quickly and claim a seat at the table. Leave the tin foil hats at home and be prepared to conduct yourselves in a professional fashion. Come with solid ideas that are fleshed out in well-argued position papers, because that is how the bureaucracy works.

2) Have an experienced public affairs director who can get in front of policy makers at all levels of government and pro-actively spread a positive view of UAVs, especially those operated by ordinary citizens and small businesses.

3) Create a membership program that offers real value for the dues paid. At minimum, the new Association will need at least 5,000 members to be relevant, much less have the resources to do anything meaningful. A few will eagerly step up, but most will need to be enticed with benefits.

4) On the side, create a PAC (political action committee) that can receive and spend money for the purpose of lobbying. There are strict limits to political activities by nonprofits and an affiliated PAC is the usual workaround.

5) When all else fails, there needs to be a legal team in place to pursue remedies in the courts. I deliberately put this last because if it is the first resort, it will consume all the resources and likely accomplish very little. In my view, based on nearly forty years in the Real World, if you must sue and go to court, you've probably already lost.

I realize that breaking this down into actual goals and operational processes isn't as emotionally satisfying as railing against the system, but when I say this is serious work, this is what I mean.

Well spoken.
I agree with everything you said except that the reality is that the war has already been declared and we need to establish a credible team to negotiate our agenda.
Like I said, I am all in but the organization needs to be there.

I currently work in a 501 3c and you can actually do a lot of advocacy work without declaring being a lobbyist. Once you start to ask for legislation, you cross a line. Influencing policy, below the legislative level, you are okay.
An organization like this has to have rank and file volunteers, sponsors and a dedicated membership in it for the long haul. Proper governance and a board of directors, etc. The corporations that stand to lose will likely get behind a formal association that has the interest of the community songs to protect the growth they foresee. Without a voice, we are at the whim of regulatory bodies. Not impossible, but a lot of work.

2) Working with state and federal parks to allow UAV use, in a regulated fashion, within the parks. This might involve designated use days, registration at the front gate, sensitive area restrictions, etc. - but that would be preferable to the absolute bans we witness now. If you think this is quixotic, Google Brandywine Creek State Park in Maryland and read about how some UAV enthusiasts worked around the park's ban on drones with the cooperation of the park authorities.

Completely agree. I feel like local and state bans on quadcopters is the biggest problem we hobbyists will continue to face in the next few years.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

So who is really willing to do the work?
I will commit to doing pro bono legal work for such an outfit but someone else needs to do the executive stuff.
This won't be a part time amateur game it's going to take real $$$ and work even with a free lawyer. Think about the fact that we will need professional or semi pro lobbyists.
I have worked with and against federal regulators all my professional life and whiners and crybabies won't ever get in the front door.
It will be a serious endeavor so, if you are up for an all consuming run at the Feds let's start by setting up a real forum just for this.
Membership fees are going to be the #1 issue and anything less than $100/ year isn't going to pay the website fees.
How committed are you really.
An Executive Board will need to be established as well as a "corporate" structure. FEIN numbers and bank accounts will need to be established. It should be a Not For Profit structure. Are we planning on being an "educational" structure or a "club".
If you want to be effective looked to the NRA as a template.
Only Serious people need to apply for leadership positions. It will be a solid ***** of a job.
We not only are going to be fighting FAA but also consider that FCC, the Professional Airline Pilots association, Air Traffic controllers and airport managers will have a dog in the fight.
Keep thinking if the Rank and File drone fliers will spend the $$$$ to keep the Association viable.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. Are you really this committed?
I'm in! I would help in any way i can to get this thing going.

Jeff, Ralph, Innerkid, JTC and others: Great, I think we've found part of the legal team, public affairs director, and other departments. I agree with essentially all of those comments leading to the sobering realization that only a well thought out plan by a well organized group effort, which sounds like someone worth listening to, not the ones yelling storm the bastille, is going to be effective.

Now, where do I send the money? Who's willing to form up an exploratory committee, establish an account, request help with necessary formation documents, etc.? C'mon, you know this is the only way.

@bluntnose: Actually, you will be pleased to know that me, Innrkid, and Jeff have started a separate Phantom Pilots conversation on this subject. I think we are serious. :) We are already discussing what state is best for nonprofit incorporation.

If you would like to join and contribute to our effort, send a message to Innrkid, who deserves credit for initiating the side-discussion.

You, too, @JTC. :)

There are a few people that are going to try and come together on a quick Skype call to discuss possible next steps. There will be some upfront costs but not insurmountable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj