Waypoints

Reaction score
The way everybody is talking it seems like DJI will not develop or does not want waypoints for groundstation for the phantom three?
That being said, wouldn't it have been better for me just to have bought the Phantom 2?

Coming to DJI Pilot? Or the SDK?

Yeah, that's the only thing I can find too. I've only seen DJI employees say it's not coming to DJI Pilot. So, I'm assuming that is the case.

That being said, wouldn't it have been better for me just to have bought the Phantom 2?

If you only wanted GS and nothing else, like ditching WiFi video feed for 1.2 mile range at 720p, wide angle lens with no fisheye and better sensor, VPS, etc (as the list goes on and on).

GS is being released in 3rd party apps. However, those apps will cost about $10.

Plus, on the P3 GS is not as big a deal. You can fly the P3 out a mile already and still be in full control.

May not come to pilot but it says it will to ground station.
Kind of. The feature is called "Ground Station" -- which offers waypoints. But, it should not be confused with the actual Ground Station.

Last edited:
Coming to DJI Pilot? Or the SDK?

It will be in the next SDK (it's in the developers firmware right now). DJI employees have gone back and forth as to if DJI will add it to the Pilot app. About 2 months prior to the P3 being released DJI stated it would be added around the time the P3 was released. As we all know, DJI screwed the pooch on developing the Pilot app (esp for the P3) in that it did not contain _key_ components, such as the Flight Sim under Android. How long has the Inspire been out and they never added GS to the Pilot app for it either. If you look closely, DJI's website never mentions that DJI will added GS... they only state it's in the SDK.

Personally I think DJI's direction is to spend far less resources in developing their app and instead (saving money and) supporting 3rd party developers. I like this and don't like it. Most of the developers are simply using the Vision app and adding P3 control to it. The Vision app looks terrible when compared to the Pilot app.

Personally I think DJI's direction is to spend far less resources in developing their app and instead (saving money and) supporting 3rd party developers.
Agreed. I'd rather see them work on things that matter (e.g. better hardware) than build features that many people will never use and/or do not need.

The first problem for 3rd party developers will be developing an app that is equally as good as DJI Pilot. Then, on top of that, they'll need to build in waypoints, POI, etc.

the main hold up right now is DJI. They haven't unlocked that portion of either the the SDK or firmware. I'm seeing from the post above that the developer firmware has been enabled.

Many people would like the ground station aspect. I for one have an agricultural use.

Too many people weighing in on this saying GS wont' be in DJi Pilot App. This is NOT necessarily true!

Erik Cheng said in a video published on May 3rd, 2015: "... there is a very high likelihood that [Ground Control for Phantom 3] will also end up in our app."

Listen carefully to the context. They don't just want it in the SDK.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fast forward to 17:08 and listen until 18:00.

If you only wanted GS and nothing else, like ditching WiFi video feed for 1.2 mile range at 720p, wide angle lens with no fisheye and better sensor, VPS, etc (as the list goes on and on).

GS is being released in 3rd party apps. However, those apps will cost about $10.

Plus, on the P3 GS is not as big a deal. You can fly the P3 out a mile already and still be in full control.

Which 3rd party apps are you referring to?

The way everybody is talking it seems like DJI will not develop or does not want waypoints for groundstation for the phantom three?
Just curious what you use it for? I tried it (waypoint flying) a couple times on the P2V+, it was kinda neat, but I really didn't see much application for it. Also tried the autonomous waypoint flying (hacked app) and that was much cooler and understandably more useful, but I'm very pleased with the P3!

The first problem for 3rd party developers will be developing an app that is equally as good as DJI Pilot. Then, on top of that, they'll need to build in waypoints, POI, etc.

Part of the problem with that is that the SDK is different then the Pilot app. The SDK for the Vision had been less then steller and DJI seems to be taking their time in correcting it's problems.

Just curious what you use it for? I tried it (waypoint flying) a couple times on the P2V+, it was kinda neat, but I really didn't see much application for it. Also tried the autonomous waypoint flying (hacked app) and that was much cooler and understandably more useful, but I'm very pleased with the P3!

Agriculture. Scouting fields and detecting problems. A pre-planned flight with waypoints would be very beneficial. As we scout the fields weekly, it would be nice to just turn on the P3 and let it fly the same pattern on the same field every week.

Pretty much all of the developers who have made apps for the Vision are making one for the P3. Some are Android only and some are iOS only. You can search either store or the web to find them.

Are you saying these apps are in development or these apps for P3 are already available? And they have way points?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31