Waypoints question.

Reaction score
Is there a way to set up waypoints in the dji go app from home before taking it out kinda like you can with AutoPilot ? Or does anyone have a good tip to make waypoints easy. If a waypoint is created can I leave the camera free for me to move as it runs its path. Sorry if it's been asked before don't see it worded the way I'm thinking. Basically I don't know how to get the camera to capture the view I want I sent the angels wrong it's either to low or to high for what I want. Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I would change the Focus Strategy to Joystick, Touch, or Device and you should be able to do it. Be sure to read the Flight School details on each option and then try each to see which works best. You may have trouble with the aircraft yaw, so I've had pretty good luck setting Focus Triggers instead and then set each Trigger to Interpolate from one Trigger to the next so you get a nice smooth yaw transition. I took me a few times watching the YouTube videos before I had a comfortable understanding of the Focus Strategy feature.

Best of luck!

-Steve

I would change the Focus Strategy to Joystick, Touch, or Device and you should be able to do it. Be sure to read the Flight School details on each option and then try each to see which works best. You may have trouble with the aircraft yaw, so I've had pretty good luck setting Focus Triggers instead and then set each Trigger to Interpolate from one Trigger to the next so you get a nice smooth yaw transition. I took me a few times watching the YouTube videos before I had a comfortable understanding of the Focus Strategy feature.

Best of luck!

-Steve
Where are you finding these options in DJI Go?

I have AutoPilot but dji go I'm used to. Thanks for the info will try. How do you get the split screen on AutoPilot. I only had the map no camera view

DJI GO and AutoPilot are like night and day. If you are familiar with Go and are most comfortable using it, you will be amazed at how, with a little time, then a press of a button, the aircraft just goes and does what tell it or told it to do.

To answer your question about split screen, I believe that using an iPad with with screen real estate, the default view in the flight dashboard is split screen view with the camera view on the top and map view on the bottom. You also get both on an iPhone, but you have so much less real estate on the screen, you will find yourself you Would find yourself using only one view and then toggling back and forth between camera and map.. Once you had a mission planned and were satisfied with where the camera was pointing when you use the mission preview, you would probably only need to look at the camera view.

There are a few different options for switching views. First, in the main Settings on the very first Autopilot screen in the Pre-flight section, open Settings and scroll down until you see RC parameters and Flight Dashboard. RC Parameters will allow you to assign different functions to the C1 and C2 buttons on the bottom of the controller. This is a very underrated feature the I usually forget about because I'm so focused on the screen. I have one button set to Toggle Map/Camera. The next Flight Dashboard section will allow you to set the Default View, Camera or Map. I have mine set to Camera.

If you are using an iPad, be sure to hide the Inline controls under the "More" setting at the top of the screen. "More" will give you Settings, Light Theme, Telemetry Detail (Low, Medium, High), and Hide Inline Controls. Once you have Inline controls turned off, if the iPad is in portrait mode, you will get the default view of camera at the top of the screen and map at the bottom. Using the iPad in landscape mode, which I prefer because that is how I normally put it on the holder on the controller, you use the entire screen for camera or map. Toggle between the 2 by pressing one of the C buttons if you set one to Toggle, or just simply press the Camera or Map icon in the lower left of the screen. Be sure to watch the "Autopilot-Product Overview" video to see a demo of those options.

I watched each tutorial video several time until I understood most of the options. Many of the options are not fully explained, but you will be comfortable enough to at least have some understanding of what they do. You can practice changing options after you have a few basic flights under your belt. I found that watching all 3 Waypoint videos a couple times gave me most of the information I needed to draw fairly complex missions.

Sorry for the long response, but there are so many options in Autopilot and it is SO worth watching the videos and reading the Flight School instructions until you fully understand at least most of the Intermediate options. I know some of the videos are outdated, but they are still worth watching. The newer "Waypoint How To Video 3 Update on 6-11-16" goes over the new "Path Related Actions" that might interest you most since you want the ability to have more control of the camera. Also, the Focus Mode video does a good job of explaining the Joystick Focus Strategy. You use the left joystick to move the camera while the aircraft maintains focus on a particular point, if Inremeber correctly. I may need to watch the video or read the Flight School again to be sure.

Again, I can't stres the value in using your time to train yourself to use Autopilot instead of limiting your options with the Go app. I almost lost my Phantom once using the Go app to fly manually. I hesitate to ever use it again unless I have to because I now have so much more confidence in Autopilot.

You may find the first several videos a little boring and want to skip ahead straight to the Waypoint videos, but the first videos give you more basic training on the overwhelming array of settings.

I hope this explanation helps and am happy to explain more or at least point you in a direction to find out more if I can. Also sorry about any typos. It's 3:25 am and I couldn't sleep so I'm trying to focus on something else instead of what woke me up.

-Steve

Thanks very very much for the rundown that's some great stuff. You rock !!! Gonna go check that stuff out after work.

Thanks Steve also
I'm new on this forum and only have used the GO app also. I only have less than 10hrs on my P4 and 61 flights.
Question..does the Autopilot also keep track record like the GO app does?

Olroy,

Autopilot has a pretty cool feature that allows it to automatically upload flight data to Healthy Drones and DroneLogbook. If you haven't used either, all you have to do is sign up at each site, then enter the appropriate info in the Autopilot "Settings" section. I really like DroneLogbook. It will create a 3-D map of your missions automatically and plot the course in a 3-D video you can view at any time. I did a screen capture of the DroneLogbook video of a mission I flew and am trying to match it up with the actual video captured creating a split screen view in Final Cut Pro. I'm curious to learn why I almost lost my Phantom flying it manually with the DJI Go app, something I won't do again anytime soon. I had to manually upload the flight logs from the Go app flights into to DroneLogbook to see what really happened, whereas Autopilot does it automatically.

Autopilot also has "Blackbox" mode that records detailed information about the flight as you fly manually. There are appropriate sections in Autopilot's "Flight School" that explain how it works and how to retrieve the data files using iTunes. It also automatically uploads data from other mission types as well. In my opinion, the automatic data uploading with Autopilot is much easier.

I hope that helps!

-Steve

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic