Waypoints question.

J&L

Reaction score
I want to do an aerial survey of the property. My question is what's the best altitude to do this. Obviously above the highest tree of course. Pic enclosed so you can see each of my waypoints image.jpeg

I think it just depends on how much you want to see. When you first set the waypoints you can decide what kind of view you want from there and then adjust altitude before setting the waypoint so you can see everything. Nice property by the way.

Can you set the orientation. We're like the camera is point inward to look into the property and no just a straight line.

Depends on a _lot_ of factors... such as how many photos you want to take, how large the property is and how much detail you want. However, after its all said and done it still comes down to personal preference.

I just basically want to take a video of the property at each property pin that way you see the property from each pin looking in. Just looking for advice on how to excute the plan and the video looks decent lol.

I have done something similar. Your property looks to be about 100' +/- across. At that width, you shouldn't need too much height. I'd guess around 50' should do it. You would probably want more altitude when you get back by the trees. It really is a preference thing. Try a few runs and see what the results are. Raise lower the altitude until you get what you want.

Regarding camera orientation...

When using the DJI Go app with the "Waypoints" feature, it will remember where the camera is pointed at each waypoint. To set up a waypoint "mission" you must manually fly to each point and set it. Once done, you can save the mission and replay it.

Fly to waypoint "A" and point he camera where you want. Record the waypoint. Repeat for each waypoint. The position, altitude and orientation of the P3 will be recorded for each waypoint. I do not believe the gimbal pitch is recorded. IMO, best way is to find some gimbal pitch setting that will work for the entire run... much smoother video that way.

When you replay the mission, you are given a choice regarding the camera. You can set it to "free" and control the camera. You can set it to point in the direction of flight. The third choice allows you to have the camera point where is way when the waypoint was recorded.

Altitude, orientation and position are all interpolated between waypoints. Take this into account. If waypoint A is 50' high and waypoint B is 100' high, halfway between the two points you will end up at about 75'. Think about that when planing a route over a structure or those trees.

Can you set the orientation. We're like the camera is point inward to look into the property and no just a straight line.
You can do this with a 3rd party app Litchi or Autopilot, but not with the DJI app. Otherwise, it's manual as others have commented

You can do this with a 3rd party app Litchi or Autopilot, but not with the DJI app. Otherwise, it's manual as others have commented

I have seen others make this claim, which is not fully correct.

I don't believe the DJI app controls gimbal pitch (up/down angle as controlled by the small wheel on the RC unit). However, you can easily use the DJI waypoint app to control aircraft YAW which will point your camera wherever you like. Yaw and altitude are set along with location for each waypoint.

What's nice is that each time you run the mission you can decide whether to use that yaw setting or go "free" and manually control it during the mission.

I want to do an aerial survey of the property. My question is what's the best altitude to do this. Obviously above the highest tree of course. Pic enclosed so you can see each of my waypoints View attachment 40351

50m is a good survey altitude and 5m/s or 11mph.
You should be able to choose to let the camera follow the waypoint route or opt to control yaw and camera in the menu and let the bird fly the route..

I've been using the Litchi app for a few days now and this would be an easy task to set up on it. You can set Points of Interest (and the elevation that it's at) that your camera faces throughout the flight.

Here's a Youtube that may help, and no, this isn't mine.

T

Looks good but when I checked their maps were very old. What map dates do you see?

Looks good but when I checked their maps were very old. What map dates do you see?

I don't see a date on the app, but from what I can tell at my house here, they are using the latest aerial of Google Maps that's about a year old.

T

I don't see a date on the app, but from what I can tell at my house here, they are using the latest aerial of Google Maps that's about a year old.

T

Maybe the demo I looked at used old maps of my area.....makes sense

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl