Waypoints Problem: Too Low When Take Off From Cliff / Hill Top

Reaction score
I get a waypoints error about setting a way point too low when I take off from an elevated position (such as a cliff or a hill top). Is there any way around this besides just flying controlled by hand???

(Using Phantom 3 Advanced and DJI Go App.)

For example: I was filming a house yesterday and the house is on the side of a hill with the majority of the house BELOW street level.

If I take off from the street, I can't set a waypoint that would get me near the middle of the house (about halfway down the hillside). I just keep getting the error that the way point is too low.

I could, in theory, drive down the street and take off from a lower elevation, but then I wouldn't have visual line of sight, so that is not something I am willing to do.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Fly normally, without waypoints. If you have it in sight it's not a problem.

You say you wants visual so if you are flying visually any way, why do you need waypoints?

Unfortunately, I am not nearly as smooth of a flyer as the waypoints is.

Even with expo cranked up really high and trying to fly as slowly as possible (horizontal speed about 5 mph), I am still pretty herky-jerky at the sticks :(

So drive down, take off, drive back up and off you go! ?

Be careful where you set the RTH if you do this or it will go back to stake-off position in the event of low battery, signal loss etc. ?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I am not nearly as smooth of a flyer as the waypoints is.

Even with expo cranked up really high and trying to fly as slowly as possible (horizontal speed about 5 mph), I am still pretty herky-jerky at the sticks :(
You can also go into your advanced settings and adjust the sensitivity of your sticks and your gimbal speed. I saved different settings for future use and that smoothed out my transitions and movements like magic. Makes it easier to have jerk-free vids and smooth transitions.

You can also go into your advanced settings and adjust the sensitivity of your sticks and your gimbal speed. I saved different settings for future use and that smoothed out my transitions and movements like magic. Makes it easier to have jerk-free vids and smooth transitions.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately for me I am still kind of jerky even with "optimum" expo and speed for the sticks and gimbal.

Ideally I would like to have waypoints / point of interest handle the flying while I concentrate on gimbal movement.

Thank you, Bill.

I will look in to using Litchi.
Go to the MavicPilots forum and look for VLM - Virtual Litchi Mission by user Namira.
An excellent piece of work that interfaces with Google Earth to create waypoint missions that are based on actual terrain height.
The bonus is you can simulate your flight and see any difficulties you might run into.
I cannot stress enough how useful this tool is.

Go to the MavicPilots forum and look for VLM - Virtual Litchi Mission by user Namira.
An excellent piece of work that interfaces with Google Earth to create waypoint missions that are based on actual terrain height.
The bonus is you can simulate your flight and see any difficulties you might run into.
I cannot stress enough how useful this tool is.
Has anyone gotten this to work on 32bit Windows?

Has anyone gotten this to work on 32bit Windows?
More appropriately why in heck are you still on 32 bit Windows?
I assume XP? VLM is a 64 bit app that requires a fairly recent version of .NET framework - it won't run on 32 bit or likely anything before Windows 7.
Seems I recall someone made a browser based version that also interfaces with Google Earth.

More appropriately why in heck are you still on 32 bit Windows?
I assume XP? VLM is a 64 bit app that requires a fairly recent version of .NET framework - it won't run on 32 bit or likely anything before Windows 7.
Seems I recall someone made a browser based version that also interfaces with Google Earth.
I was waiting for that question and I can’t fully remember my decision honestly.

I run windows in a Parallels VM on my Mac - primarily just for Quicken. When I updated to windows 10 several years back I installed 32bit and am not sure why. But the following possibilities rattle around in my brain (no particular order and I’m not sure any are true)

1) Maybe Parallels didn’t support 64 bit.
2) Maybe 64 bit would have taken more ram and I didn’t need it for quicken. Or at least I thought it might.
3) Maybe Windows 10 home didn’t support 64 bit always?
4) Maybe 64bit version cost more? (See #3).

Dunno. As I said. I pretty much only boot it for quicken. And the older version of DJI assistant now. But I regret not being able to run VLM.

Some rainy day I’ll build a 64bit VM for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.