Way better range with new update and firmware

There is no need for an aftermarket antenna now unless you like to waste money
I certainly wouldn't go that far! The stock antenna will never reach the 6 miles away I can fly to with the boosted DBS-02 antenna mod, now safely supported by a P4 battery mod. However, for anything within a few miles, the completely stock P4 setup may now finally be good enough. It certainly was not at launch!

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Indeed. Have you considered the birdside battery mod for the P4? It's $250 at FPVCustoms.com and Paul does great work. You'll still need your externals and a charger, but it gives you close to battery modded P3P flight times to support the new range, and the speed of the P4. Highly recommended. :cool:
Yeah he does great work. I've bought a couple modified batteries for my p3 from him . For my p4 I'm waiting on the maxxuav.com battery mod. It's going to be something special I hope:)

Yeah he does great work. I've bought a couple modified batteries for my p3 from him . For my p4 I'm waiting on the maxxuav.com battery mod. It's going to be something special I hope:)
I like the flexibility of the P4 birdside battery mod. You can use any P4 battery, and I have a bunch! :cool: No one else has successfully modified the P4 batteries yet, although many have tried and failed.

I tested out the new version v1.1.411 FW this morning on my Nexus 9 tablet. Everything worked well EXCEPT range. Video was blocky and bad in a way I hadn't seen before at only about 7500' where previously I had gone 11-12000' a few times. Both with windsurfers. When I got home I connected up again and noticed the Image Transmission Quality setting was maxed out at 10Mbps whereas I normally always use the minimum 4Mbps. Will give it a try tomorrow - surely that is the problem.

Anyway, the upgrade (via Assistant on windows) of the P4 and 4 batteries was smooth and easy and I love the auto-turn-off LEDs feature.

I tested out the new version v1.1.411 FW this morning on my Nexus 9 tablet. Everything worked well EXCEPT range. Video was blocky and bad in a way I hadn't seen before at only about 7500' where previously I had gone 11-12000' a few times. Both with windsurfers. When I got home I connected up again and noticed the Image Transmission Quality setting was maxed out at 10Mbps whereas I normally always use the minimum 4Mbps. Will give it a try tomorrow - surely that is the problem.

Anyway, the upgrade (via Assistant on windows) of the P4 and 4 batteries was smooth and easy and I love the auto-turn-off LEDs feature.
Yes, updates often reset a bunch of settings to their original, DJI default values. Be sure and recheck all your other settings, too! Things like the RTH height, and camera settings, and even metric v. Imperial units have been known to reset. The video transmission bit rate is a very big one, too, which has bitten me before, also when switching tablets. If you are using the channel hack, recheck your chosen manual channel, and make sure Auto channel selection is turned OFF. The front LED lights also always get turned back on, if you had them set to OFF.

After market antennas are never a waste of money if you need their performance increases, which are substantial. Not only can you extend the range to 6+ miles, but you can increase the penetration and video stability closer in, in congested environments, and areas with lots of trees and vegetation, while flying lower to the ground.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
After market antennas are never a waste of money if you need their performance increases, which are substantial. Not only can you extend the range to 6+ miles, but you can increase the penetration and video stability closer in, in congested environments, and areas with lots of trees and vegetation, while flying lower to the ground.
Really? I always stayed away from them because I thought if they went behind a building or something, you'll lose the range as quickly as normal which sort of made them pointless to me.

But if that's wrong and you are saying they will let you penetrate a city or a forest better because of it, which type do you use? Also, just curious, when using an antenna booster, does it afford you the capability of boosting your transmission data up to 6 or even 10.

What extender would you reccomend GG and please correct me if I read what you originally posted wrong because again, I don't have any 7 mile open areas here in LA so when I'm in town, can I make use of an extender? I do go other places and I must say I was having fun flying from a park I was at the other day down to the Wells Fargo building and I got the cahones to fly my bird through the open are at the top of the 30 story building. Was pretty cool and I thought to myself how I could only feel safe doing this because it's LightBridge. LB is still by far the most innovation that has happened in our hobby in years. Can't wait to see if RealSense trumps it. I sort of have a feeling that it might be real good. We shall see.

Did the Firmware through after the DJIGO app update yesterday and flew a short flight. All seems good and the slight horizon issue I had is gone. like others say check all your settings because after the update some go back to the defaults. I did notice that instead of the app saying Aircraft Warming up it says IMU Initialization.

I just picked up the 3w boosters + Maxx Range antenna and I can say it for sure makes a difference in range and in city range.

Yesterday I flew about 1 mile away while surrounded by tons of tall trees and remained with 5 bars which never would have been possible without the boosters.

I also was able to point the Maxx Range antenna straight out and fly the P4 up 400 feet in the air without having to point the antenna at the P4 which I could never do before without the boosters.

So yes the boosters will help you in the city, they allow you to fly lower than you normally would without loosing signal.

I'm happy with how they perform. I got mine from Jake at MaxxUAV.com

Really? I always stayed away from them because I thought if they went behind a building or something, you'll lose the range as quickly as normal which sort of made them pointless to me.

But if that's wrong and you are saying they will let you penetrate a city or a forest better because of it, which type do you use? Also, just curious, when using an antenna booster, does it afford you the capability of boosting your transmission data up to 6 or even 10.

What extender would you reccomend GG and please correct me if I read what you originally posted wrong because again, I don't have any 7 mile open areas here in LA so when I'm in town, can I make use of an extender? I do go other places and I must say I was having fun flying from a park I was at the other day down to the Wells Fargo building and I got the cahones to fly my bird through the open are at the top of the 30 story building. Was pretty cool and I thought to myself how I could only feel safe doing this because it's LightBridge. LB is still by far the most innovation that has happened in our hobby in years. Can't wait to see if RealSense trumps it. I sort of have a feeling that it might be real good. We shall see.

Reactions: Jussaguy

I'm using the DBS-02 boosted with 4.0W amps on a GL300A remote, paired with the P4. I can fly lower and farther with it. From 3-5 miles away, inland, I can fly 25 feet over the beach most days, and over the surf, and around piers and jetties. I never worry about range any more. I have flown between 30 story twin towers downtown, and as far as I want, through them, on the other side, as long as I stay on the line through them. I have flown under bridges, including 5 lane bridges that are only 40 feet above the water, from 3 miles away. It just works! Highly recommended! :cool: (Flying under bridges is at your own risk! :p)

Last edited:
Nice to hear some good firmware news these days! I just hope they can fix the P3S video issue now!

Happy flying folks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm using the DBS-02 boosted with 4.0W amps on a GL300A remote, paired with the P4. I can fly lower and farther with it. From 3-5 miles away, inland, I can fly 25 feet over the beach most days, and over the surf, and around piers and jetties. I never worry about range any more. I have flown between 30 story twin towers downtown, and as far as I want, through them, on the other side, as long as I stay on the line through them. I have flown under bridges, including 5 lane bridges that are only 40 feet above the water, from 3 miles away. It just works! Highly recommended! :cool: (Flying under bridges is at your own risk! :p)
Awesome!

WARNING!!!

I have the 32 channel hack....was waiting to upgrade my firmware until I learned more of what people were saying...AND I THOUGHT I LOST MY P4!! I upgraded tonight...batteries and all.

I HAD the channel 32 hack enabled using channel 31 and low and behold I got about 3000+ feet out and my tablet FROZE (Nexus 7)...then REBOOTED!! NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE!!

I tried to remain calm....activated RTH and kept contoller pointed in proper direction and waited for tablet to boot....NEVER did connect again after I started DJI Go app BUT i heard it above me finally and breathed a sigh of relief...thank God I had set all of the settings after they got returned to default and my RTH was high enough.

WTF!!! REALLY!! I am pissed....I had no issues BEFORE the upgrade and now this happens!!

Please....I have lost ALL faith now...could be because of the hack being used at the time. PLEASE HELP!!
What we are finding out, I just am finding out, and Jake from MaxxUAV has informed me, going through some motions to fix a small problem, he has informed me that the furthest channels, don't seem to be covered in the spectrum. Now, if your stock antenna they may be the same.
For instance my brand new Hawking 9dB badboys (sorry they're just so kickass) the specs show like 2.400 to 2.483 and these are literally bleeding edge top shelf antenna, and they don't cover up to 2.5ghz, so it seems completely correct that the highest channels on my big MaxxRange work worse then when I lowered it.
This can also coincide with why we see so little noise up high? The antenna itself isn't tuned for that extreme freq. so this is why.
Just in initial test I can say Jake was right, after I changed I went out 1 mile, thru trees and my 8' privacy fence in backyard, and coulda went further (boosted) but it was farther then I ever got on Channel 30-32

To be fair, some ppl have spent enormous amount of money and he certainly suggest better made and not $20 antennas.
One person has stated that some L-com magnetic boot are best for the car, and those Hawking's I'm always going on about for the best penetration. (Too big almost at 2' for the car or SUV)
672042fda2c9edd0d22b9c4da10cd56a.jpg

Doesn't mean I don't want to try a couple of the those cheap alpha antenna.
Also some ppl have used the cheap ones with decent results. Jerimiah has actually done a lot of work for us already with a year of testing and trying stuff, from lower cost to mid level to where he's at, these guys have more expensive car antennas then I bought for my roof

Reactions: Jussaguy
I flew my P4 this evening out well over two miles with not one hiccup...unprecedented, but two things were changed for this flight...upgraded firmware, and also used my 300A RC which has more power per the RF gurus on our forum. I am running Litchi and had 100% on both video and control signals. Granted my flying conditions are good...flying from the third floor patio on my home out over the marsh. Regardless, this P4 bird seems really solid at the moment.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20