Water proof YOUR phantom- Fly in rain and hail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So I found this on the internet earlier today.
Dji Phantom 4 Advanced wetsuit-new product All weather flying gear

It seems to be a wet suite and some components that completely waterproof your phantom!
Their are also some cool demonstration videos on their website.
Comes with waterproof rings and a 3mm thick wet suite!

Quite interested so thought I would share, as I've seen a post recently about some one wanting to fly in the snow, this might be worth a try...

I fly in all seasons ... and snow is one I like most ... catching the sparkle of sunlight on the trees etc.

I have been caught in unexpected showers and snow fall ... and my P3S and P3P were never affected by any.
I just RTH ... land ... dry out indoors ... I never use a hairdryer as I believe that drives water and moisture into areas that it likely never got to till a shaft of hot air hit it !! Never used Rice bags ...

Rain and snow are basically clean water and extremely low conductivity. Not like dirty river or seawater.

Nigel

Reactions: Jordan-Drones
If you look closely at that "wetsuit", you will see that every opening on the Phantom that water could get into is STILL wide open even with that "wetsuit" stuck to it. Nothing about it is preventing water and moisture from entering those openings. It's just a rubberized skin being added to the solid plastic surface and adding weight IMO.

And a good way to destroy your props and crash your drone is to fly in hail, with or without a thin rubber skin.

Last edited:
If you look closely at that "wetsuit", common sense will tell you that every opening on the Phantom that water could get into is STILL wide open even with that "wetsuit" stuck to it. Nothing about it is preventing water and moisture from entering those openings. It's just a rubberized skin being added to the solid plastic surface and adding weight IMO.
Thanks for your reply.
Now you put it that way I do understand, new to drones so still learning alot.
Will deffinetly stay clear of it:)

Just my opinion.

I apologize and edited my post. Common sense is not always obvious when new to something and excited about a new activity. Didn't mean to imply that you had none. Just my way of saying I think it's a bunch of BS.

Last edited:
Agreed

Never supplied third party or independent tests proving claims.

Latest claim: also repels birds.

It seems to be a wet suite and some components that completely waterproof your phantom!

Quite interested so thought I would share, as I've seen a post recently about some one wanting to fly in the snow, this might be worth a try...

This suit will not waterprood your drone. As stated earlier all the venting is still wide open.

The sellers of this product make a lot of extraordinary claims without any side by side comparison evidence.

As such I would just call it an expensive skin that can add weight and potentially retain heat within the AC.

Reactions: DroneB
DJI made the phantom 4 with waterproofing in mind. In previous models ie. Phantom1 etc., had the vents at the top.
I bought a wet suit and realized my mistake when I observed the rubber "O" rings will act as a funnnel to direct the water into the motor and the piece that goes under the props will prevent air circulating through the motors. The wrap at the top does nothing except add weight. I haven't tried to remove it, because it would make my beautiful bird look like trash, since I had to use glue on certain parts to hold them in place. If I tried to remove it, the plastic finish would not look as nice as when I first bought it.

Reactions: Maddy

We appreciate the Interest in our new product the Mavic 2 Rain Wet Suits and the Phantom 4 Wet Suits:

As the owner of Phantom Rain:

We meaning my team have stayed very connected over the last 2 years in the Phantom Forums so we are no stranger and have tried to stay as transparent as possible not hiding and always posting and flying in the rain.

You can learn alot about your drone by going to the Phantomrain.org website and getting some first hand information.

You can also call me: We are very transparent, We do not hide by email or company nonsense.
440-315-4803

We are on the Forum everyday to answer questions, and very much in the Public View.
We have sold thousands of Wet Suits all over the world so do not let 1 person decide for you.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor

Reactions: BigAl07
We appreciate the Interest in our new product the Mavic 2 Rain Wet Suits and the Phantom 4 Wet Suits:

As the owner of Phantom Rain:

We meaning my team have stayed very connected over the last 2 years in the Phantom Forums so we are no stranger and have tried to stay as transparent as possible not hiding and always posting and flying in the rain.

You can learn alot about your drone by going to the Phantomrain.org website and getting some first hand information.

You can also call me: We are very transparent, We do not hide by email or company nonsense.
440-315-4803

We are on the Forum everyday to answer questions, and very much in the Public View.
We have sold thousands of Wet Suits all over the world so do not let 1 person decide for you.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor

Hello,

I am not trying to bash or talk badly about your product. I would however like to reinforce one of the statements that has been made many times before, regarding your products. Coming from an engineering and scientific background, I would never purchase anything based solely on the claims and videos of the manufacturer. Products that make these claims and which would be used on my expensive equipment, should be backed by scientifically controlled tests. A video of the drone with skin flying in the rain is not a scientific test.

A scientific test would at a bare minimum include things such as:
  • Side by side comparison of a stock drone and a skinned drone, facing the same exact conditions.
  • Internal sensors for both heat and moisture to look for signs of water and heat damage.
  • Specific controlled test conditions with differing rain and wind intensity levels. Just flying in a rainstorm does not qualify as a comprehensive test.
  • High frame-rate video from different angles of both drones during all of these tests, to show the water paths and any penetration
  • Long term follow-up results of the test drones to see how they fare after a year, two years, etc...
  • An independent auditor present during all tests to ensure proper procedures and results.
Just my view of what would convince me to buy such a product even if I had the need to fly in the rain. If you are so totally convinced of the quality and efficacy of your product, you should have no problem running these sorts of scientific tests and publishing the full unaltered test results.

Also another big selling factor would be a warranty that backs up the claim. If a Phantom 4 is flown in the rain with a properly applied wetsuit and then suffers from water damage, would you cover the costs of repair or replacement? I am making the assumption (please correct me if I am wrong) that the most you would cover is the cost of the wetsuit itself.

Happy Flying !

Reactions: Maddy and FL_Mike
DJI made the phantom 4 with waterproofing in mind. In previous models ie. Phantom1 etc., had the vents at the top.
I bought a wet suit and realized my mistake when I observed the rubber "O" rings will act as a funnnel to direct the water into the motor and the piece that goes under the props will prevent air circulating through the motors. The wrap at the top does nothing except add weight. I haven't tried to remove it, because it would make my beautiful bird look like trash, since I had to use glue on certain parts to hold them in place. If I tried to remove it, the plastic finish would not look as nice as when I first bought it.

After reading some or your other posts, it became very clear you got a case of what I call the Nervous nellie's when you purchased the Phantom 4 Wet Suit or as you stated it was a Mistake.

A little Goo Gone and a wash cloth is all that is needed to take off the 3m adhesive , nothing is going to ruin the look of the plastic, your fear is not warranted . Perhaps I will post a video of the worst case where I scratch it off with my finger nail and wipe it with it the goo gone and a wash cloth.

It is also evident that you never flew the Phantom in the Rain.

So right off the bat as the owner of Phantom Rain I would like to Refund you in full:
Please call me 440-315-4803 to arrange that.

With that said I would like to Educate everyone a bit so no one else is blind to the Purchase , least of all Nervous:

We now offer Wet Suits for both the MAVIC 2 and the PHANTOM 4 Pro series drones

The Wet Suit adds 5.3 ounces for Phantom 4 and only 0.3 ounces for the Mavic 2 neither is very much weight.

The Wet Suit is made from 2mm Closed Cell Neoprene and it will only tear if you stretch it hard enough.

We have always offered a 100% perfect install and if you messed up a part , a simple phone call letting us know or email showing us the part and we would send you another free of charge.

We also offer several videos , good solid easy to understand videos on how to install the Wet Suit to make it perfect. We posted an example on the website.

NOTE: If you do not understand that the Aluminum Brushless Motors that DJI usess are designed to Negotiate water and extreme heat you should not be consider getting the Wet Suit.

The Wet Suits were not made for Hobbist but for those that need the tools to fly everyday to get the job done.

The more you understand about the Motors used by DJI , you will understand why these motors are used in submersibles and given the right power source will run under water , this is why you can fly in the rain given you have the Wet Suits to SEAL THE POWER SOURCE , both on the Mavic 2 and Phantoms..

The Rings we use on the phantom have nothing to do with keeping water out of the Motors , and everything to do with stopping water from seeping into the drone itself.

The power sources on both the Phantom 4 and Mavic 2 are the Weakest Links , not the motors, and certainly not the vents, so if you are going to be in the RAIN OR SNOW , it is best you do not fly without a Wet Suit.

We know many love to say water and electronics dont mix, and that is a fact , and all the more reason why you need to protect your drone as Weather happens.

Its every day and its part of the flying experience if you are making money with your drone.

Phantomrain.org

We remain very transparent, and are very active on the Forum
as no one is hidding behind an email as it should
be noted we stand behind a Phone Call 440 - 315 - 4803

Just like to comment :

For many years it was common practice to bed in Brushed motors by 'running them in' under water. Brushless motors of course do not need this treatment - but ALL brushless motors are perfectly happy to run under fresh water. If you run in corrosive water such as Seawater - the motor will run just as well - but afterwards will suffer corrosion.

There is nothing special about DJI motors to improve or change those facts.

Nigel

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Hello,

I am not trying to bash or talk badly about your product. I would however like to reinforce one of the statements that has been made many times before, regarding your products. Coming from an engineering and scientific background, I would never purchase anything based solely on the claims and videos of the manufacturer. Products that make these claims and which would be used on my expensive equipment, should be backed by scientifically controlled tests. A video of the drone with skin flying in the rain is not a scientific test.

A scientific test would at a bare minimum include things such as:
  • Side by side comparison of a stock drone and a skinned drone, facing the same exact conditions.
  • Internal sensors for both heat and moisture to look for signs of water and heat damage.
  • Specific controlled test conditions with differing rain and wind intensity levels. Just flying in a rainstorm does not qualify as a comprehensive test.
  • High frame-rate video from different angles of both drones during all of these tests, to show the water paths and any penetration
  • Long term follow-up results of the test drones to see how they fare after a year, two years, etc...
  • An independent auditor present during all tests to ensure proper procedures and results.
Just my view of what would convince me to buy such a product even if I had the need to fly in the rain. If you are so totally convinced of the quality and efficacy of your product, you should have no problem running these sorts of scientific tests and publishing the full unaltered test results.

Also another big selling factor would be a warranty that backs up the claim. If a Phantom 4 is flown in the rain with a properly applied wetsuit and then suffers from water damage, would you cover the costs of repair or replacement? I am making the assumption (please correct me if I am wrong) that the most you would cover is the cost of the wetsuit itself.

Happy Flying !

Its a good thing that we did not make these for Scientists :

We have completed many test , many of which are on the Phantomrain.org website.
The Phantom 4 Pro that we fly has been thru some stuff, and it is still flawless after all that we have put it thru.

If there was chance to make these 100% Water Proof than these tests would make sense , as turning it into a submarine would be fun but that is not the case:

We have already shown people what the Phantom 4 was capable of all over the world, and there were many companies that switched from doing there everyday work from the Inspire to the Phantom because of the Wet Suits.

We are not trying to take over the world, we are just offering people the best chance to confront the ever changing weather with the best possible solution we can given the design of the drone that we have to work with.

As far as scientific tests go, one of our favorite tests is to simply take a 16 ounce glass of water and pour it over the top of your battery on the Phantom 4 , ahhhhhh Step 1: Seal that battery cover.

We have done slow motion video: 5x slow motion and now this year we will be offering 250 x slow motion :

Both the Phantom Wet Suits and the Mavic Wet Suits are outstanding products give the design structure we have to work with.

Some science: Rain falls at 12 to 15 mph on average from the sky , and it is much more powerful than a glass of water because of the pressure, thus if the glass of water fails as it does with both the Mavic 2 and Phantom 4 you will understand that the STORM is the very best way to test the Wet Suits.

Storms need to last a minimum of 26 minutes for us to fully evaluate the wet suits, these storms do not come often as most are just showers and yet we fly in every storm we can , night or day.

The Phantom Wet Suits have proven themselves over and over again.
That is the best of tests are in the real world and the lights on the Phantom will always tell the story !

Powerful storms happen when you least expect it: 3:am girlfriend house: Actual flying time is 26 minutes

This is the full video: We hope to have something soon for the Mavic 2 Nothing beats Real Life and the Lights are what always tell the story of the drone and what is happening.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We also have some 5 x slow motion video on the Web Site
Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor

Just like to comment :

For many years it was common practice to bed in Brushed motors by 'running them in' under water. Brushless motors of course do not need this treatment - but ALL brushless motors are perfectly happy to run under fresh water. If you run in corrosive water such as Seawater - the motor will run just as well - but afterwards will suffer corrosion.

There is nothing special about DJI motors to improve or change those facts.

Nigel

ALL brushless motors are perfectly happy to run under fresh water.
Thank you for confirming this Nigel as many our not aware of this and thank god there is no SALT in the rain.

Its a good thing that we did not make these for Scientists :

We have completed many test , many of which are on the Phantomrain.org website.
The Phantom 4 Pro that we fly has been thru some stuff, and it is still flawless after all that we have put it thru.

If there was chance to make these 100% Water Proof than these tests would make sense , as turning it into a submarine would be fun but that is not the case:

We have already shown people what the Phantom 4 was capable of all over the world, and there were many companies that switched from doing there everyday work from the Inspire to the Phantom because of the Wet Suits.

We are not trying to take over the world, we are just offering people the best chance to confront the ever changing weather with the best possible solution we can given the design of the drone that we have to work with.

As far as scientific tests go, one of our favorite tests is to simply take a 16 ounce glass of water and pour it over the top of your battery on the Phantom 4 , ahhhhhh Step 1: Seal that battery cover.

We have done slow motion video: 5x slow motion and now this year we will be offering 250 x slow motion :

Both the Phantom Wet Suits and the Mavic Wet Suits are outstanding products give the design structure we have to work with.

Some science: Rain falls at 12 to 15 mph on average from the sky , and it is much more powerful than a glass of water because of the pressure, thus if the glass of water fails as it does with both the Mavic 2 and Phantom 4 you will understand that the STORM is the very best way to test the Wet Suits.

Storms need to last a minimum of 26 minutes for us to fully evaluate the wet suits, these storms do not come often as most are just showers and yet we fly in every storm we can , night or day.

The Phantom Wet Suits have proven themselves over and over again.
That is the best of tests are in the real world and the lights on the Phantom will always tell the story !

Powerful storms happen when you least expect it: 3:am girlfriend house: Actual flying time is 26 minutes

This is the full video: We hope to have something soon for the Mavic 2 Nothing beats Real Life and the Lights are what always tell the story of the drone and what is happening.

We also have some 5 x slow motion video on the Web Site
Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor

You haven't really addressed any of the points I made and simply keep deflecting on the issues at hand:
  • I never said you are making them for scientists. However in the testing phase of products (especially those with very bold claims), it is reasonable and prudent to test them scientifically.
  • OK so your Phantom 4 Pro has not had any issues through your tests. Without any control group testing there is nothing to say that a stock Phantom 4 would have fared any worse. That's part of what I was saying. I could just as easily draw a big circle in blue sharpie on the top of my Phantom 4 Pro and then show how that "magic circle" shields it from rain. Without any scientific testing, my claim would be every bit as valid as yours.
  • I never said that it needed to be submerged or turned it into a submarine. You are the one claiming that it is better protected in rain as compared to a stock Phantom, and that's what needs to be proven. The tests "make sense" to prove the claims in question. Just because you think the tests don't make sense, doesn't make that statement true.
  • Congratulations on having thousands of customers all over the world using wetsuits. The question still remains as to how well those Phantoms would have performed without any wetsuit. That again is where the tests come in.
  • Pouring a glass of water has nothing to do with surviving a hard wind-driven rainstorm. Sure it can be one of many tests, but that in itself says nothing.
  • I have no issue with your claim that the wetsuits are outstanding and well-manufactured products. They seem to be very high quality. My point of contention is if they are needed at all and if they can meet the claims you publish without the data to back up those claims.
  • Sure, it is difficult to find the right storm to run tests. Exactly why you need scientific tests under controlled conditions. A "rain room" with controlled rainfall rate and wind conditions is needed.
  • Again you mention all of the working Phantoms with wetsuits and that the best tests are in the real world. You are missing the whole point of needing to compare against a stock Phantom under test conditions. Otherwise all of your thousands of real world tests mean nothing.
I notice you did not comment on my question of backing up your claims with any warranty, should the Phantom suffer any water damage in "real world" conditions with a properly installed wetsuit.

Happy Flying!

You haven't really addressed any of the points I made and simply keep deflecting on the issues at hand:
  • I never said you are making them for scientists. However in the testing phase of products (especially those with very bold claims), it is reasonable and prudent to test them scientifically.
  • OK so your Phantom 4 Pro has not had any issues through your tests. Without any control group testing there is nothing to say that a stock Phantom 4 would have fared any worse. That's part of what I was saying. I could just as easily draw a big circle in blue sharpie on the top of my Phantom 4 Pro and then show how that "magic circle" shields it from rain. Without any scientific testing, my claim would be every bit as valid as yours.
  • I never said that it needed to be submerged or turned it into a submarine. You are the one claiming that it is better protected in rain as compared to a stock Phantom, and that's what needs to be proven. The tests "make sense" to prove the claims in question. Just because you think the tests don't make sense, doesn't make that statement true.
  • Congratulations on having thousands of customers all over the world using wetsuits. The question still remains as to how well those Phantoms would have performed without any wetsuit. That again is where the tests come in.
  • Pouring a glass of water has nothing to do with surviving a hard wind-driven rainstorm. Sure it can be one of many tests, but that in itself says nothing.
  • I have no issue with your claim that the wetsuits are outstanding and well-manufactured products. They seem to be very high quality. My point of contention is if they are needed at all and if they can meet the claims you publish without the data to back up those claims.
  • Sure, it is difficult to find the right storm to run tests. Exactly why you need scientific tests under controlled conditions. A "rain room" with controlled rainfall rate and wind conditions is needed.
  • Again you mention all of the working Phantoms with wetsuits and that the best tests are in the real world. You are missing the whole point of needing to compare against a stock Phantom under test conditions. Otherwise all of your thousands of real world tests mean nothing.
I notice you did not comment on my question of backing up your claims with any warranty, should the Phantom suffer any water damage in "real world" conditions with a properly installed wetsuit.

Happy Flying!

Happy Flying!

Unfortunately you are missing the point, if either the Phantom or the Mavic could pass the Glass of Water Test than it would make sense. The Fact they they both fail the test is good enough Reason for no Tests.

Does that make sense ? If they pass that simple Test than it would make sense to test them. >

Maybe this will help: I recently bought the Mavic 2 Zoom to Piggy back in flight the Phantom 4 flying in the Rain with the ZOOM .

I know that it was better designed to handle Extreme weather better than the Phantom and so I saw no reason to build a wet suit for it.

Took a glass of Water poured it over the Battery , very few drops showed up and so I thought were good, Motors are Brushless Alumiunm , no problem there so it went up in the quick downpour.

The downpour lasted about 4 minutes if that and I opened the Battery and there was water in the Battery.
This was a surprise as I was not expecting that. Thus real world test are always better tests.

Thus I engineered the Mavic 2 Wet Suits and we did everything we could to make them more Water Resistant with the Wet Suits.

We took what was already a well designed flying machine and made it better , as we did the Phantom 4 , so we are Amazed with the Mavic 2 and hope to continue to test it ability to Failure point if we ever have a hard enough rain.

Keep in mind that the Wet Suits are designed not only to fly in the rain but keep the water out of the drone if at all possible.

With the Rescue Jackets , you can see clearly see that they are taking on Water , but the Battery is Sealed with the Wet Suit.

Notice the rescue jacket along with the Wet Suit keeps the drone flying and the camera being that is somewhat water resistant continues to work although the recording disconnects quickly.

This blew a lot of peoples minds but it did not ours, for those that fly over the water that Rescue Jackets are a great tool. It also show that if you can protect the Power Supply the Drone is very Capable.

With the Help of the Wet Suit , it makes the drones even more secure to fly in the rain and extreme weather .

I am not sure why you do not understand if a car can not get started , there is no reason to test if it can do 100 mph .

Last edited:
Makes no sense. Same openings with or without the rubber skin applied to the solid, hard plastic parts. If you just need to seal up the battery compartment, all you need is some sort of a thin rectangular rubber o-ring at the compartment opening.

ALL brushless motors are perfectly happy to run under fresh water.
Thank you for confirming this Nigel as many our not aware of this and thank god there is no SALT in the rain.

True .... but in fact rainwater is very weak Carbonic Acid. Derived from falling through air with Carbon Dioxide around. Its what makes rainwater erode sandstone etc. and create those amazing landscapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic