Was it a drone? British airways flight

So it may have been a plastic bag. Because of all the media hype I am sure a lot of pilots are hypersensitive to the drone scare. I suspected this story from day 1 because there was absolutely no damage to the aircraft. Score one for the lamestream media.
That's what I heard today, too. A plastic bag! Need to update the Aircraft Identification Guide for Airline Pilots to include the shape of a plastic bag! :p
image.jpeg

Next thing you know, they'll want to regulate and ban the use of all plastic bags! Oh, that's right.... They already do and have! :rolleyes:
Now we just need to register all plastic bag users with the FAA! :D

Reactions: robsquad
I registered my plastic bag with the FAA. Can I grocery shop within 5 miles of a airport or do I need a 333 first?
Now we are talking! :p Make sure your pilot's license is current with that 333 so you can "shop" with that reusable plastic bag with its unique N number on the "tail"!

Reactions: NormanNormal
I registered my plastic bag with the FAA. Can I grocery shop within 5 miles of a airport or do I need a 333 first?
Where did you mount your Dymo tape registration number? I'm having a hard time getting mine to stick.

-- zigs

Amazing technology they are putting into their machines.
I wonder if they aren't using recycled poly bags as the shell plastic and the impact of the airliner undid all that.
Note to those who think this is a serious post, there is a deep sarchasm between us.

I bet it was in their latest firmware update

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Whenever someone approaches me and talks about my "drone" I tell them that it's a "quadcopter" not a drone. I explain that "drones" are unmanned combat planes. Makes me feel better if nothing else!!!!
Your effort won't make a difference.

Unless there is some strong social mandate or personal involvement operating the average disinterested American will resort to using the convenient monosyllable, drone, rather than struggling with three big, fat syllables in the word, quad cop ter,

It's called linguistic laziness and it specifically refers to (most) Americans as compared with Brits, most of whom are diligently trained early-on in the correct, proper and appropriate use of (their) language.

Reactions: Phantomfreak
Where did you mount your Dymo tape registration number? I'm having a hard time getting mine to stick.

-- zigs
Better you just type your info onto an ordinary white label, cut it to size, stick it on and cover it with Scotch tape. Quick, easy and unobtrusive.

Your effort won't make a difference.

Unless there is some strong social mandate or personal involvement operating the average disinterested American will resort to using the convenient monosyllable, drone, rather than struggling with three big, fat syllables in the word, quad cop ter,

It's called linguistic laziness and it specifically refers to (most) Americans as compared with Brits, most of whom are diligently trained early-on in the correct, proper and appropriate use of (their) language.

What crock of european crap. A drone is accurate wording and I use it in spite of you and the other word police.

So why has this one 'alleged' incident led to people who should be banding together to protect their interests led to internal bickering - take it from someone who's other hobby is under great threat and has been for some time you need to work together to safeguard your interests - not argue over simple terminology - lots of people in this area - in the uk and USA - and elsewhere - call them drones - just work together on this or the old 'divide and conquer' will rule and we will all look back and say - ' do you remember the days before they banned / over regulated our drones / quadcopters (other names and descriptions available) !

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: pomonabill220
When it comes to flying drones I am a newbie P2 with H4-3D gimbal, Syma x5C etc
It just takes common sense to determine what is a safe area to fly. If our hobby continues to attract bad press then the government will have to enable a GPS no fly zone which will cost millions to set up which either means the hobby will need to be licenced or worse BANNED... Just my thoughts!!!

What crock of european crap. A drone is accurate wording and I use it in spite of you and the other word police.

And even if it's not 100% correct today it will be soon. Languages evolve and if enough people misuse a word in the same way for a long enough period of time - they will update the definition of the word to reflect the common usage.

I used to get irritated when people misused the word "literally" - then I looked it up one day and found they had changed it to match the common, formerly incorrect usage.

Now the one that bugs me the most is when people order an Espresso but pronounce it as Expresso!!! **** it people! There's no X in the word!!! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164