Warp Stabiliser v Final Cut Pro X

Reaction score
For any Vision owner without a gimble looking for silky smooth video your going to need to use a software stabiliser. I use Final Cut Pro but I also have heard good things about Warp Stabiliser. Check out this video to see a comparison and see which you think looks better in a blind test. I won't spoil it for you.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW3qU6pXBtA[/youtube]

I have had very mixed results with both. I had some footage of me flying over a set of cars that had this very annoying shake in it. (Outside of normal aileron tilting) I spent a lot of time on both, in the end warp stabilizer won for that one.

In another clip, FCPX won because WS had this very bad bowing effect from the fish eye. Then in another, I was shooting from a Canon 7D with a 70-200mm @ 70mm. Tripod mode made it rock solid without much zoom. WS did a good job too, but resulted in a stronger crop.

It's quite possible I am just using the settings wrong, I dunno.

Also used iStablize, which sadly doesn't support GPUs so it's **** slow and kinda a pain to work with.

I found the FPCX is ok for basic stabilization, but Warp Stabilizer has so much more control that allows fine-tuning. (but it's that fine tuning that can get tricky)

Adobe's Warp Stabilizer is really amazing and it wins hands down in this comparison, in my opinion.

disjecta said:
Adobe's Warp Stabilizer is really amazing and it wins hands down in this comparison, in my opinion.

Yes I hate to admit it as an FCPX lover but it beats FCPX into the dust. I could instantly tell which was which as sadly I had seen the effects all before :)

Shrimpfarmer said:
disjecta said:

Yes I hate to admit it as an FCPX lover but it beats FCPX into the dust. I could instantly tell which was which as sadly I had seen the effects all before :)

Same her, it was quite obvious.

Shrimpy you should teach (if you haven't been doing so already) you're a good instructor! Professor Shimpy has a nice ring to it! Granted I'm an FCP fan but I must admit Warp Stabilizer does a very nice job. Thanks for posting the vid.

iDrone

iDrone said:
Shrimpy you should teach (if you haven't been doing so already) you're a good instructor! Professor Shimpy has a nice ring to it! Granted I'm an FCP fan but I must admit Warp Stabilizer does a very nice job. Thanks for posting the vid.

iDrone

Thanks iDrone. I might preach but I don't think I could ever teach, professor does sound nice though. I will have to get me one of those off ebay :twisted:

Ok I was pretty disappointed with FCPX's performance but I cannot use Warp Stabiliser so today I started experimenting with FCPX stabiliser methods.

For those of you using FCPX this video compares the three methods FCPX can use to stabilise your video. This footage is from my Phantom Vision. I have done nothing to it at all other than apply the stabiliser. Let me know which you prefer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaiWfq1WCro[/youtube]

Professor Shrimpy, I believe both Warp Stab. and FCP run on MAC, when it comes to editing I'm truly a novice at this and I have a PC, any recommendations or do I stick with the YouTube stabilizer?

Don the builder said:
Professor Shrimpy, I believe both Warp Stab. and FCP run on MAC, when it comes to editing I'm truly a novice at this and I have a PC, any recommendations or do I stick with the YouTube stabilizer?

Hello Don.

Your a lucky boy because Warp Stab runs on a PC as well. I could get it to run on my Mac but I don't want to move away from FCPX. Also I have bought myself a gimble so the need for Warp will be less.

You will need to decide how crucial is it to you and the videos you intend to produce to be rock solid steady. Its possible by flying well and thinking about the shots you want before hand to get very useable clips from the stock Vision. However, if thats not going to cut it for you then you will have to buy a more powerful editor to make use of the Warp stabiliser. I know very little about Warp, other than it does a great job. Clearly its streets ahead of Youtube's own stabiliser.

So add up the cost of getting your editing rig ready to use warp and ask if steady shots are worth that amount ? Remember though the steadier you can film the shots the less you need any software stabilisation. A gimbal is what you really need however they cost even more. For the ultimate stability its a gimbal and the software.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Ok I was pretty disappointed with FCPX's performance but I cannot use Warp Stabiliser so today I started experimenting with FCPX stabiliser methods.

For those of you using FCPX this video compares the three methods FCPX can use to stabilise your video. This footage is from my Phantom Vision. I have done nothing to it at all other than apply the stabiliser. Let me know which you prefer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaiWfq1WCro[/youtube]

For me, the clear winner is Inertia.

Anyone tried Virtualdub and adding in the Deshaker? I set it up on a PC the other night and it seemed to work fairly well. Wouldn't handle really large files but for YouTube stuff, it seems to work.

Shrimpfarmer, if you want to send me that clip, I'll run it through Virtualdub and post it. Might be an alternative that costs less than... anything that costs something... ;-}

I used to use Virtualdub w/ Deshaker and was able to get pretty good results (not quadcopter footage). I've since been using Adobe's Warp Stabilizer and haven't looked back! It does a great job, and you can dial in the effect to try and limit the amount of zoom or jello you get.

CunningStuntFlyer said:
I will vote for option #4:

- smooth inputs and no stabilization whatsoever (aka go really easy on the sticks when your craft lacks a gimbal)

Isn't that the truth Cunning. Without a doubt go for smooth footage in the first place and leave all stabilisation well alone if you can.

ladykate said:
Shrimpfarmer, if you want to send me that clip, I'll run it through Virtualdub and post it. Might be an alternative that costs less than... anything that costs something... ;-}

If you want to try that particular clip just pull it right off Youtube as the actual picture quality isn't important. If that does not work I can upload it to dropbox. As I type this my main internet has been disconnected as I am being switched over to fibre. I hope that goes smoothly :shock:

Thanks Guys. It's clear that I will have to upgrade from Premier Elements to something even more capable for the simple projects I have planned.

Shrimpfarmer said:
ladykate said:

If you want to try that particular clip just pull it right off Youtube as the actual picture quality isn't important. If that does not work I can upload it to dropbox. As I type this my main internet has been disconnected as I am being switched over to fibre. I hope that goes smoothly :shock:

Enjoy fibre! As with all increments it's disgusting how quickly you get used to it and start tutting when your Netflix Super HD movie takes 5 seconds to buffer for interruption-free viewing rather than the usual 2 seconds because someone is watching youtube in HD in another room at the same time! The upload speed increase has suddenly proved very useful for uploading video to youtube, dropbox and the like...

Mine's been rock solid since I got it in October 2012. Installed by BT (as they all are) without issue, but they're not my ISP.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl