WARNING: my LumeCube P4 mount just failed...

Reaction score
Website
www.zanderlanephotography.com
...FYI FOR LUMECUBE USERS: just got the dual lumecube kit - placed the mounts on the P4 - mounted the lights on the mount - played with the lights inside the house for a while, then packed the P4 in a carefully configured thinktank bag and put bag on shelf - went to take the bird out less than a week later and the right mount looked askew - as I picked it up all the way it just gently cracked cleanly in half right at the connection to the blue center disk where the cube attaches - after looking at the left one, it had started to develop the same crack - I took close-ups of the mounts and it would seem the material is more of an air-filled honeycomb, maybe 3D printed, and does not appear to provide the degree of rubbery flexibility necessary to be a solid and safe solution - they were a tight fit to get on, so I can only imagine that maybe the flexing of putting them in place on the legs stressed them to the point of failure...but however it happened, I would just hate to see someone drop one of those relatively heavy little metal cubes on someone's head from 400 feet...so; if you are using that system, PLEASE CHECK YOUR LUMECUBE MOUNTS FOR CRACKING!
lumecube phantom 4 mount fail-01.jpg
lumecube phantom 4 mount fail-02.jpg
lumecube phantom 4 mount fail-03.jpg
lumecube phantom 4 mount fail-04.jpg
lumecube phantom 4 mount fail-05.jpg
lumecube phantom 4 mount fail-06.jpg

I had one crack on day 1 in the same place.

thats a horrible 3D printed job, looks like the ABS filament was not heated to the correct temperature. They must send you a brand new ones.
If the outside of the part looks like your pic, you should undoubtedly reject it!
IMG_1452.JPG

I totally agree, a very crappy 3D print job! And by the pics, I think I'd have called them to inform them of the looks even before installing them!

...FYI FOR LUMECUBE USERS: just got the dual lumecube kit - placed the mounts on the P4 - mounted the lights on the mount - played with the lights inside the house for a while, then packed the P4 in a carefully configured thinktank bag and put bag on shelf - went to take the bird out less than a week later and the right mount looked askew - as I picked it up all the way it just gently cracked cleanly in half right at the connection to the blue center disk where the cube attaches - after looking at the left one, it had started to develop the same crack - I took close-ups of the mounts and it would seem the material is more of an air-filled honeycomb, maybe 3D printed, and does not appear to provide the degree of rubbery flexibility necessary to be a solid and safe solution - they were a tight fit to get on, so I can only imagine that maybe the flexing of putting them in place on the legs stressed them to the point of failure...but however it happened, I would just hate to see someone drop one of those relatively heavy little metal cubes on someone's head from 400 feet...so; if you are using that system, PLEASE CHECK YOUR LUMECUBE MOUNTS FOR CRACKING!View attachment 69768 View attachment 69769 View attachment 69770 View attachment 69771 View attachment 69772 View attachment 69773
Thanks for the heads-up...I had them on order and luckily was able to cancel after seeing this...I'll await better reviews/progress...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic