wanting to step up

Reaction score
I have a FC40 and love flying it.....i fly manual alot of the time, I can get it to flip and roll but want to move up and do my own build....I was thinking about the F450 but not really sure, will this fly much better then the phantom? as I am also thinking about a flip 360....seems like the money invested would be about the same...not many quads in my area, and I have never seen either one fly in person....I want to move up....but not move over my head....
Thanks..

My 2 cents:

Depends on what you want (Flip or 450). The Flip would be just as hard to tie a gimbal to and pack around (you would probably have to take the gimbal off for packing). However, once you figured that out, it would be more portable than the 450. The 450 is getting to be kind of 'standard' and will offer a lot of tinkering and upgrades/playing. If you have trouble with the Flip, you will be on your own for many things (depending on how you built it). With the 450, you can probably find someone who has one like you built or close enough.

I think the Flip is cool but you already have a small framed machine that does well. Go a bit bigger and enjoy the stability - it is more stable than the FC40/Phantom (or Flip) because of the size.

The 450 is a great versatile platform that's an easy and natural step-up from the Phantom. However, while it can do a lot of things well it's probably not going to be as good at any of them as a purpose-built rig. For the kinds of flying you're talking about (acro and such), you might want to look at airframes like the QAV350/400 or the TBS DiscoveryPRO. Another option is building a "V-Tail" which can be incredibly nimble and are designed specifically for sportflying: http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/v-tail-quad (just one example)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic