Volunteers Needed to Maintain P3 Stickies

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
A lot of questions get asked over and over. If we had some easily accessible stickies, we could reduce those repeat questions and effortlessly point people to the right place.

But stickies need to be maintained in order to be useful. The first post should consolidate a lot of the primary information. They need to be updated and corrected on an ongoing basis. I need some volunteers to maintain a sticky or two.

Here are some topics:
  • Compass calibration (I'll take this one!)
  • IMU calibration
  • Startup and safety procedures
  • Which tablet should I get?
  • Filming and photography settings
  • Batteries: charging, storing and transporting
  • Others topics for frequent questions?
If you want to own one of these topics or have topics to suggest, let us (me) know. You'll need to gather up as much relevant information as makes sense. Once you have it ready to go into one or two posts, we'll get it posted as a sticky. You'll need to maintain your posts, updating them as needed on an ongoing basis.

As an example, you can see what a I wrote a while back for compass calibration (which I will update to include the P3 shortly and turn into a sticky). http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/compass-calibration-a-complete-primer.32829/

Reactions: Cyclone
Could we have one called "Read This Before You Fly" that covers some of the basic common sense stuff? Things like first flights, basic techniques/tips as well as things to avoid like CSC, running the battery completely flat, etc.

A member did something like this a months back, he created a thread with some really helpful starter videos from tablets, cold IMU calibrations, gimbal and compass calibrations, firmware update ect ect, it was a excellent thread for what a new person to the hobby needed to know, he asked then if it could be made a sticky but sadly got refused. So now the same questions come up 6 or 7 times a day like you say and if that thread had just been made a sticky for everyone to read this forum would have not become so boring. I hope the same guy is still on here and posts it again for a sticky.

So....

I'm more than happy to help out. That said stickies are painful for this from experience, most because forums aren't structured for FAQs, they don't lend themselves to navigation in a single thread and become unruly when you have a thread per topic.

As it happens I registered phantomwiki.com today for exactly the same reason. I'm happy to set that up and maintain and give access to others to contribute which could be a richer source of information, also happy to just donate the domain to phantompilots if you want it and have something you could do with it.

If you stick with the stickies though then count me in for helping.

Don't forget the 'What are the best carbon fibre props for my phantom - I want them cos they're so coooool' and 'Can I replace the camera with a GoPro'? These questions used to come up all the time on P2 forum all the time.

LOL, yes the subject of carbon props does come up to often, and CSC FAR FAR to often all so, a sticky for each of them please.

Carbon Props - throw them in the bin

CSC - yes it will shut the craft down and plummet to the ground like a rock so don't do it.

A member did something like this a months back, he created a thread with some really helpful starter videos from tablets, cold IMU calibrations, gimbal and compass calibrations, firmware update ect ect,

Can you find it? It can serve as a source of material for stickies if nothing else. I'd like to break it up into sections so it's not overwhelming and people looking for a specific answer can easily find what they want.

Could we have one called "Read This Before You Fly" that covers some of the basic common sense stuff? Things like first flights, basic techniques/tips as well as things to avoid like CSC, running the battery completely flat, etc.

Yes. Definitely.

CSC and CF props could go under a sticky called "Common Causes of Crashes and Flyaways".

I have been compiling information over that past few months and posting it into a P3 Ground School website. If there is anything anybody can use from this website -- have at it.
www.p3groundschool.com

Stickies need to be on this site. If you want to volunteer to manage one, let me know.

So far I've got @caffeinated volunteering. Who else?

Please not too many stickies as I have been on forums in past that had a whole page of stickies, it all got out of hand.

Yes and @Sammynels who is going to do the IMU calibration sticky.

Please not too many stickies as I have been on forums in past that had a whole page of stickies, it all got out of hand.

Don't worry. If it goes the way I'm planning, they won't be in the way and they'll only be on the most referenced topics.

I'd like the battery topic... so much misinformation out there .

Sold.

Collect as much information as you can, put it into a clear and concise layout and send me a draft. I am waiting for input from Jacob as to where to put them. I've asked him for a sub-forum for stickies. Once we have it set up, we'll create the threads, move them to their proper location and make them a sticky. We'll have one master sticky in the main P3 forum with links to the all the stickies.

A few recent threads made me think of this one:

If you crashed, this is what we need to know to help you figure out why.
Some tips on how to get that info out of the apps would be good too.

A few recent threads made me think of this one:

If you crashed, this is what we need to know to help you figure out why.
Some tips on how to get that info out of the apps would be good too.

Good idea. A step-by-step to extracting the TXT file, video replay, etc. Maybe you might want to take a stab at it?

Good idea. A step-by-step to extracting the TXT file, video replay, etc. Maybe you might want to take a stab at it?

Thanks. I would but I don't have any hands on experience with the Visions or the P3. The basics would be the same but I don't know the programs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers