Vision Sensing

Reaction score
I've seen some members mention turning off Vision Sensing. OK, so I have a few hours of flight time under my belt and I've always used everything available in terms of infrared, sonic and visual sensing. I've read the manual cover to cover, and still browsing it, when something is not yet clear. Keeping the flights short and tightly controlled. I don't mind the collision avoidance stuff, but I'm really curious about times when the vision sensing will be an encumbrance, or worse yet a pitfall.

So my question is, when and why would you turn off the vision system.

I've seen some members mention turning off Vision Sensing. OK, so I have a few hours of flight time under my belt and I've always used everything available in terms of infrared, sonic and visual sensing. I've read the manual cover to cover, and still browsing it, when something is not yet clear. Keeping the flights short and tightly controlled. I don't mind the collision avoidance stuff, but I'm really curious about times when the vision sensing will be an encumbrance, or worse yet a pitfall.

The problem with VPS is it isnt perfect and can be triggered by false data, even low sun can cause erratic behavior. I don't like having to fight with it so I keep mine off and have full control.

Reactions: SF327
This p3 but same for p4,,I think it also helps for the precision landing in same spot as take,(can't remember name) the bottom cams called onnocular which take picture of landing site so it come land exactly same spot,,,(OA front cams called monocular cause scan foward),,,mine still on and have calibration needed prompt but nothing is wrong so I just leave it,no issue for me on or off,..vps can also give you a height if flying with no gps
20181224_115009.jpg

I own a 3p and I keep the vps off most of the time because it can't accurately detect the AC's height when I fly higher than 3m from the ground. Turning it off also means I have one thing less to worry about in case of vps malfunction I also think in such it saves me some battery and perhaps allow my bird fly longer?

The problem with VPS is it isnt perfect and can be triggered by false data, even low sun can cause erratic behavior. I don't like having to fight with it so I keep mine off and have full control.

Thanks for the input. Yep, I'm nearly always in low sun conditions. Didn't know about that one.

Reactions: MassDrone
I own a 3p and I keep the vps off most of the time because it can't accurately detect the AC's height when I fly higher than 3m from the ground. Turning it off also means I have one thing less to worry about in case of vps malfunction I also think in such it saves me some battery and perhaps allow my bird fly longer?

Thanks for the input. I'm flying a P4 Pro V2, and there are some newer vision system elements, but honestly I haven't compared the P3 and the P4 side by side. It being wintertime, the trees are not dense enough for the vision system to accurately see them, so I try to stay well away. I'm sure the extra electronics require power, but compared to rotating four props at a high RPM I would think it's minimal.

Thanks all for the replies. So I gather that VPS system glitches can cause erratic behavior and in the conditions I'm currently flying in, (specifically open areas over smooth flowing water and bare trees) I really don't need it. I use RTH as a tool for a quick flight path reset, but I prefer to control the landing. Incidentally, the precision landing puts it right down on the landing pad every time when I do use it.

At this point, I think I'll turn it off and see the difference for myself.

But if you have it off the auto land function might work rather rough so you must get used to landing manually.

I agree, since precision landing is one of the functions of the sensor set. From my last data set, it kicked in the Doppler at about 32 ft and I suppose the other sensors were functioning as well. I can land, but I've used the precision land function about 50% of the time. Thanks.

I heard it wouldn't work with prop guards on. Don't know haven't tried it yet. Going to though. I may turn it off anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT