Vision+ camera and and possibility to edit bitrate?

Reaction score
Does anyone know if vision+ camera has ambarella chipset inside? Maybe A5 or A7? It's just an idea but if the chipset is based on ambarella, it might be possible to use the "ambarella firmware toolbox" to modify the bitrate?

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenQX
Hmmm.... I did some googling and found out that ambarella has provided chips for DJI Phantom 2 cameras.

http://news.investors.com/technolog...ce-hiked-as-commercial-drone-uses-nearing.htm

So, I downloaded the Ambarella firmware toolbox and opened the FC200 firmware.bin using it and I was able to extract the firmware onto harddisk. I tried the bitrate editor and I saw values (15) matching the video bitrate of the camera!
So, I could edit these values and compile the firmware and it might work.... Other chance is that it will brick the camera.

Anyone brave enough willing to try? ;-)

Well I think the ole saying is here now... If it ain't broke don't fix it. To much $$$ to play with. Most likely engineered for its maximum anyhow.

It's a great thing to try...someone witha broken gimbal but with camera that work could try...

It's a great thing to try...someone witha broken gimbal but with camera that work could try...

I opened an conversation about possibility to crank up the FC200 bitrate on another forum where discussion about firmware modification of Ambarella based cameras is going on....

DashCamTalk forum member made a higher bitrate firmware for FC200 and the link to that FW can be found here:

https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/threa...ella-firmware-editor.6029/page-20#post-160898

Because there is always a possibility of bricking the cam, I haven't updated my FC200 yet. Someone with spare camera or broken gimbal might try it :)
I had a look at the modified FW and it seems that he changed the bitrate from 12Mbps to 18Mbps.

That would be a really grat thing...hope some voluntary with a broken gimbal will do the test!

Hmmm.... I did some googling and found out that ambarella has provided chips for DJI Phantom 2 cameras.

http://news.investors.com/technolog...ce-hiked-as-commercial-drone-uses-nearing.htm

So, I downloaded the Ambarella firmware toolbox and opened the FC200 firmware.bin using it and I was able to extract the firmware onto harddisk. I tried the bitrate editor and I saw values (15) matching the video bitrate of the camera!
So, I could edit these values and compile the firmware and it might work.... Other chance is that it will brick the camera.

Anyone brave enough willing to try? ;-)

1/ What is recommended value change to ? (from 15 to ???)
2/ If I'm correct, if flashing with i modified firmware will be unsuccesfull and camera will not work, always is possible to re-flash with original firmware ?

1/ What is recommended value change to ? (from 15 to ???)
2/ If I'm correct, if flashing with i modified firmware will be unsuccesfull and camera will not work, always is possible to re-flash with original firmware ?
I think yes because is based on the latest firmware but is just an opinion
You don't need to change anything because on the linked thread is attached the already modded firmware with bitrate increased from 12mbits to 18mbits

Last edited:
Yep, it's a bit suprising actually. Every p2v+ owner knows that the camera is crappy and IF this mod worked the pq might became acceptable... Some forum member must have a sparepart camera and will to get better pq? IF I just had a spare camera pcb , I would do it.

G
Upgraded my Phantom camera to modified firmware. Upgrade went OK, camera working OK so far (in house testing only). Will try to test today in the evening in real fly.

Great! I can't wait to hear how are the results.:) Now that I know that it will not brick the camera I will upgrade my camera later today.

G

Great! I can't wait to hear how are the results.:) Now that I know that it will not brick the camera I will upgrade my camera later today.

We will compare results then ;) : IMO camera producing much better picture now. Only one (hope minor) drawback I noted so far: it became much hotter after 15 mins of filming (but it's understandable: much higher bitrate), but with more cooling during fly hope it will not be a problem.

I am really interested in this mod, it'd be great to have the video quality of the V2+ boosted! On the other hand, it really is limited how good results one can get with a sensor this crappy and these optics, and I am not too optimistic about how much of a difference 12mbps to 18mbps would make.

First test video ;) ISO: Auto, WB: Auto, 1080p30, ND 3 filter, video not modified:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To be honest.. I cannot see no difference from the movies I do with mine.
the only sure way to test it, is to fly 2 birds side by side at the same time, with the same conditions, with the same cameras, one modded, and one stock.

To be honest.. I cannot see no difference from the movies I do with mine.
the only sure way to test it, is to fly 2 birds side by side at the same time, with the same conditions, with the same cameras, one modded, and one stock.

IMO video dynamic range is a bit wider, not very significant, of course. It can be useful in post production to make a better final video.

Can i have a small clip from that camera to see the difference in post production with a vectorscope.?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers