Vision 2+ wifi units fix and why they are dying.

Well I got to do some testing on the different thermal conductive compounds and it was somewhat surprising. Arctic silver, even layered thickly 2mm, outperformed 1mm thermal pads and outperformed .10 mm pre-applied heatsink double sided tape.

I removed the sticky, supposed thermal pad off of some heat sinks that came from China. It was a very thin layer and I though that it would have to perform well for being so thin. Here are the pics and how everything stacked up. The hotter the upper left hand temp the better, the upper left temp is corresponding to the center dot.

These are pennies with the same thermicity or refractive properties allow good thermal imaging. The silicone heat pad had an unfair advantage of having a screw placed through it to hold in under compression and that allowed heat bridging and it still performed worse than a caked on film of Arctic Silver.

I took allot of pics and examined them the best that I could. They where all mounted to a large aluminum heat sink and then set on top of a large thick layer of cast iron with uniform heat.

Jeremy James

Attachments

• thermo tests 015 - Copy.jpg
    thermo tests 015 - Copy.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 676
  • thermo tests 016 - Copy.jpg
    thermo tests 016 - Copy.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 625
  • thermo tests 017 - Copy.jpg
    thermo tests 017 - Copy.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 647
eyecon82 said:
Is there a guide yet? Thanks burlbark! You are invaluable here

:oops: Thanks.. If you refer back to the first page you will see the areas requiring thermal compound. I never made a guide of any sorts as its just a disassemble process and application of thermal compound on the existing parts. The 2 final output amplifiers are located under a shielding inside on one of the boards. DJI applied nothing to those components as it would require too much hand fitting. I would recommend using thermal paste on them also and it is shown in the 2nd picture, 1st page of this thread.

No need for fancy heat pads, the arctic silver has performed flawless and has proved beyond adequate for our use.

I have determined there is no need for shimming or adding aluminum material to bridge the gap. It may however bring the temps down even more prolonging the life of the components. Just be very careful when placing anything uninsulated near electrical components.

If you liked this mod of existing hardware than you should like this one also. I am not an expert on anything but I do try to make improvements when I see a need.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29100

Jeremy

burlbark said:
eyecon82 said:

:oops: Thanks.. If you refer back to the first page you will see the areas requiring thermal compound. I never made a guide of any sorts as its just a disassemble process and application of thermal compound on the existing parts. The 2 final output amplifiers are located under a shielding inside on one of the boards. DJI applied nothing to those components as it would require too much hand fitting. I would recommend using thermal paste on them also and it is shown in the 2nd picture, 1st page of this thread.

No need for fancy heat pads, the arctic silver has performed flawless and has proved beyond adequate for our use.

I have determined there is no need for shimming or adding aluminum material to bridge the gap. It may however bring the temps down even more prolonging the life of the components. Just be very careful when placing anything uninsulated near electrical components.

If you liked this mod of existing hardware than you should like this one also. I am not an expert on anything but I do try to make improvements when I see a need.

Jeremy

Thanks. I think I'll give this a try tonight.

Thanks for the other link; however, the aluminum foil tape mod solved all my GPS issues.

burlbark said:
eyecon82 said:

Jeremy
is cool master thermal fusion 400 ok to use? No one has arctic silver locally here

burlbark said:
Well I got to do some testing on the different thermal conductive compounds and it was somewhat surprising. Arctic silver, even layered thickly 2mm, outperformed 1mm thermal pads and outperformed .10 mm pre-applied heatsink double sided tape.

I removed the sticky, supposed thermal pad off of some heat sinks that came from China. It was a very thin layer and I though that it would have to perform well for being so thin. Here are the pics and how everything stacked up. The hotter the upper left hand temp the better, the upper left temp is corresponding to the center dot.

These are pennies with the same thermicity or refractive properties allow good thermal imaging. The silicone heat pad had an unfair advantage of having a screw placed through it to hold in under compression and that allowed heat bridging and it still performed worse than a caked on film of Arctic Silver.

I took allot of pics and examined them the best that I could. They where all mounted to a large aluminum heat sink and then set on top of a large thick layer of cast iron with uniform heat.

Jeremy James

Smart way to show your analyzes - very cool use of using thermal :idea:

awesome info. thanks for checking this out and posting. i MAY be getting a vision + to replace my p-2 but am waiting on the Inspire details first. if i do get a new vision + i will be taking some things apart and will post my findings.

im trying this now and making a video of it...how do i remove the black board from the housing?

eyecon82 said:
im trying this now and making a video of it...how do i remove the black board from the housing?
Already mentioned: unscrew the standoffs, then lift it out.

CityZen said:
eyecon82 said:
yep, found it after i posted....video is uploading now....its a complete how to from taking wifi card out to heat sinking all the proper stuff bulbark has mentioned

eyecon82 said:
CityZen said:
eyecon82 said:
yep, found it after i posted....video is uploading now....its a complete how to from taking wifi card out to heat sinking all the proper stuff bulbark has mentioned

Awesome.... I love that fact someone is making a video. Please link it up here as soon as you are done. Everyone that has a pv2+ should be opening up their wifi unit and fixing them.

burlbark said:
Awesome.... I love that fact someone is making a video. Please link it up here as soon as you are done. Everyone that has a pv2+ should be opening up their wifi unit and fixing them.
Will do...please let me know if i made a mistake somewhere along the line or forgot to do something. Thanks

burlbark said:
quick question...I got some of the thermal compound on the circuit board....is that ok?

Thanks for this. Got my Arctic Silver on it's way. Might help avoid the next failure.

Here's my story: I had promised to shoot some wedding video on the weekend but my WiFi module failed. I bought my Vision from DJI.COM so I figured I'd be well covered. I took my bird in to a local Calgary authorized DJI dealer listed on the DJI web site. The dealer told I had a choice - send the bird back to China and wait forever or pay him $185 for a quick fix. I decided to pay the $185. I then called DJI and asked if they would take back the failed WiFi module and send me a replacement to keep as a spare or maybe sell on Ebay to recoup my losses.

They said my only option was to mail in the entire drone with the now repaired WiFi module inside. Which is just stupid - what are they going to do, rip out the new WiFi and put in a different one? Or do I have to open my drone and put the failed module back inside then send the whole thing in??? "Yes" they replied. Why not just let me mail back the failed WiFi module? They replied "No".

So I tweeted DJI Global and they said to call in for an RMA. Now we are getting somewhere. So I called in and they said "we told you no!".

So I emailed and they sent me back an email saying "Case resolved". I tweeted again but got no reply.

I'm sick of this kind of abuse. DJI is just a shitty company. I sent them one last email telling them I'm going to file a complaint with Ripoff Report. It probably won't do any good but Ripoff Report is the last place a reputable company wants to end up so who knows.

eyecon82 said:
burlbark said:
quick question...I got some of the thermal compound on the circuit board....is that ok?

While its not recommended I wouldnt stress. I checked the capacitance of Arctic Silver, there where a couple reports stating that it had a high capacitance. This is false, it has about as much capacitance as a trace on the board, it should not affect anything and certainly will not cause long term damage.

Reactions: valdi99
burlbark said:
eyecon82 said:
burlbark said:

While its not recommended I wouldnt stress. I checked the capacitance of Arctic Silver, there where a couple reports stating that it had a high capacitance. This is false, it has about as much capacitance as a trace on the board, it should not affect anything and certainly will not cause long term damage.

Thanks. I reopened it back up and used some thermal compound remover radio shack had just to be safe.

Video is taking forever to upload. Stupid comcast

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav