Video settings

Reaction score
I'm a commercial photographer and new to drones. I just picked up a used Phantom 4 original, and while I like it immensely, I find the video to be really washed out. I was going through the camera menus and found a series of pre-sets. I can't remember what the setting was, but I set it to 'Normal', although I haven't had a chance to get any new test footage since I reset it.

Here's some demo reel that I've done over the last moth. I've been adding about 25% extra colour saturation in post to make up for the flat video, but it's still not quite there yet colour wise.

<iframe src="Whistler and Squamish Drone from David Buzzard Photography on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm a commercial photographer and new to drones. I just picked up a used Phantom 4 original, and while I like it immensely, I find the video to be really washed out. I was going through the camera menus and found a series of pre-sets. I can't remember what the setting was, but I set it to 'Normal', although I haven't had a chance to get any new test footage since I reset it.

Here's some demo reel that I've done over the last moth. I've been adding about 25% extra colour saturation in post to make up for the flat video, but it's still not quite there yet colour wise.

<iframe src="Whistler and Squamish Drone from David Buzzard Photography on Vimeo" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, how do I get Vimeo movies to embed?

Those clips don't look at all flat to me on my screen. Maybe it's your monitor settings? But if those are clips that you had adjusted, it might be helpful to post an untouched video as an example.

For serious color work, start with a color calibrated monitor on youR PC to evaluate the drone’s product. Then use the camera controls on the drone to adjust the original image/video. For images, use the dng settings, adjust the exposure using the histogram to center the exposure, and process to taste in a post processing program like Lightroom. For video, use the cinema d settings, correct the exposure, and post process in your video editor of choice.

Reactions: Capt KO

Very nice video and I think it looks great! I sold my P4 and bought a P4P. I wanted to have a better camera....so far, the photos and video are grainy. Very disappointed in the quality. Flew yesterday and there were clouds with lots of sun. Using an ND16 filter...might be too dark. Auto settings..will test manual 100/60 and see how that looks. Never had this problem with the P4 and I used ND 8 and ND 16 Auto, and photos/videos were fantastic!

Thanks all, I'll have a go at testing the different camera presets. I just found them by accident in the menu while I was searching for something else. The video you're seeing has been seriously colour corrected.

I'm surprised at the issues with the P4P. The larger chip should give significantly more acuity in the files, as well as better low light performance. That's just physics. As with my issues, you may have a setting that's out of whack, or some kind of issue with the firmware. I'd find somebody else with the same drone and compare files. I've got my eye on a P4P v2 after I wear this one out. I was a little disappointed in the P4 image quality, I'm used to looking at full frame Nikon files, but I had a client run one of my shots quarter page in a real estate magazine and it looked great.

One more shot at embedding this video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Bill32174 and BigL
I really need to take a photography class after I get my part 107. I have a P4Pv2 and it takes nice photos & video, but I am not a photographer by any means.

I agree with MapMaker53. I see some digital artifacts that were probably introduced during the rendering process, but color saturation looks spot on. I see some slight color casting in some of the shots, but that's nit picking.

D

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks all, I'll have a go at testing the different camera presets. I just found them by accident in the menu while I was searching for something else. The video you're seeing has been seriously colour corrected.

I'm surprised at the issues with the P4P. The larger chip should give significantly more acuity in the files, as well as better low light performance. That's just physics. As with my issues, you may have a setting that's out of whack, or some kind of issue with the firmware. I'd find somebody else with the same drone and compare files. I've got my eye on a P4P v2 after I wear this one out. I was a little disappointed in the P4 image quality, I'm used to looking at full frame Nikon files, but I had a client run one of my shots quarter page in a real estate magazine and it looked great.

One more shot at embedding this video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You should be shooting using the Log setting. That setting will net the greatest dynamic range and the most options in post. Any other preset is for real estate agents who want over-saturated photos/video of their properties, as you seem to have discovered yourself trying to work with those settings in post.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic