Video recovery

Reaction score
Hey all. I recall someone mentioning on here about a video recovery program for videos which fail to 'close out'.
Could someone point me in the right direction for this please.
Yesterday I done some video around the remains of a Priory. I did nothing different than normal, but do have a habit of turning the bird off before stopping the video via controller. I do this a lot and never had an issue.
This time I can't play the footage. It's corrupted in some way.
3.5gb file so definitely all there, but I think I may need a tool to fix it.

Thanks in advance

rumor has it to just put the sd card back in as is then start everything up and then close it out yourself by turning the camera on and off again but... I've never done this myself.

Reactions: Tony Clixby
I have tried two different softwares to repair the file like you mention.
Both required a similar file for comparrison. Then they went about their repair.
Neither one worked.

I had also tried putting card back in the camera before the software repair. Nothing happened.

rumor has it to just put the sd card back in as is then start everything up and then close it out yourself by turning the camera on and off again but... I've never done this myself.

I'll have a go but going by the second post I'm not holding my breath.
I thought there was proven software for this. It'll be a shame if I can't recover this.
Will update once I get home.

I actually did have it happen after a crash... I forgot... lol. After one crash I really wanted the footage from, I had a corrupted file when the battery came out during a crash. The large 15 minute 4K file just showed up as a white screen. So I started the UAV up again and the file was completed and worked fine except... You loose the last 15 seconds or so. You should be fine after starting it up.

^^ This has worked for many people and it's what I tell people whenever this same question comes up. Most don't even need to turn the camera on and off, just the Phantom.

Here's one from a couple of days ago.
Video file Corrupt

Strange goings on...
So I insert the sd card into the bird...
Fire up Go app and P3...
P3 goes through gimbal calibration then a few seconds later goes limp. Camera looking straight down at the table.
No response from rc gimble wheel.
I reboot twice and get the same thing. Like a flaccid appendage within 10 seconds....
Then on forth attempt I notice on the screen "repairing video files". It's been like this for 15 minutes now. Still the gimble will not respond from any attempt to control it from either the rc wheel or tablet screen.
I'm hoping this will sort itself out.
If I pop a blank sd card in the slot everything is fine, so this behaviour is definitely to do with the corrupted file. Weird.
The motors will start but the gimbal is completely paralysed while this message is on screen.

Attachments

• 1464202208327.jpg
    1464202208327.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 391
  • 1464202225351.jpg
    1464202225351.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 407
Ok the "repairing video files" message disappeared.
I turned off the bird and put the sd card in the tablet.
I can report that this process most certainly did NOT repair the file. Back to the drawing board.
On removing the sd card from the bird all functions returned to normal... It's like it enters the twilight zone the moment it has the sd card inserted with the damaged video file.
I'll try that software else I can see a format coming on.

The software which *might* help is called recuva,
As mentioned if it's just the last file the phantom might complete the job and close properly even hours/days later if you realise.

Always try to stop the recording at least a minute before you switch off as a lot of data can be buffered.

As you have mentioned that you are looking for Video recovery software in order to restore deleted or lost videos form SD card, then you can use the most world famous Photo Recovery software, which is a perfect software for recovering videos form any external media storage devices.
The original post is almost a year old now, so most likely the problem is already sorted out - but thanks for the links that both you (and BigAI07) have supplied nonetheless. :)

Reactions: BigAl07
The original post is almost a year old now, so most likely the problem is already sorted out - but thanks for the links that both you (and BigAI07) have supplied nonetheless. :)

Good catch LOL! I didn't look back at OP... OOPS!! :)

Reactions: Steve7777
Though a bit outdated, might still be of use to someone with a similar issue: Restore.Media online service (fixes corrupted file headers and such, so that damaged files become playable). Works like a charm for the problems such as the topicstarter described (2 years ago, in fact, but still :)

Technically if you power of the Phantom ... the power should not actually go off till all actions such as Video saving are completed .... Page 50 (FAQ) ... My Phantom does not turn off right away, is something wrong ?

Page 51 (FAQ) .... How can I restore a video file if the power is turned off during recording ...

Says to put card back in ... power up and let it do its job.

I have to say that I have often forgotten to stop recording .... but only ever lost one video .... and that was the card failed.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl