Video Latency

Reaction score
I noticed when getting some practice in with my P3Prof, that the latency on the iPhone 6 was significant and choppy, sometimes looking like the signal was going to drop. The P3 was never more than 100 feet from me and all power was good, so as I flew between tree trunks and out into the street and back, I was needing to change my scan from the phone to direct eyes-on the P3 to make sure it didn't hit something the delay was so bad. This is only about the second time this has happened, since usually, the video latency is quite low, at least as good as my P2+ is. Any idea what might be making it act up like that at such close range and without really anything blocking the path? The trees in question were small and not forest-like, but more standard front yard kind of obstacle course. I also noticed that even with VPS turned on or off, the P3 kept wanting to drop in altitude a bit as it moved along and did not maintain the 6-8 feet off the ground I had first settled into. I had to keep goosing it up a few feet as I flew.

Guessing firmware 1.2.6 might be causing the sinking?

Signal dropping might be antenna orientation. The flat part should face the bird and be pointing up parallel to each other.

One other thing you might try a different cable to your phone.

Guessing firmware 1.2.6 might be causing the sinking?

Signal dropping might be antenna orientation. The flat part should face the bird and be pointing up parallel to each other.

One other thing you might try a different cable to your phone.
Will try both, thanks. Also wonder if any interference from home wifi might be involved?

Will try both, thanks. Also wonder if any interference from home wifi might be involved?
Probably not, but you could put your phone in airplane mode just to rule that out.

One thing I did not consider, is whether or not it makes any difference what you have your video set on? Does 4k video translate to a slower, buffered or jumbled image on your iPhone, or is that only what is being recorded to the micro SD ard and the video display on the controller is totally independent of that? Tested again and still got the lag and distortion, streaking on the phone from time to time.

Took the P3 out to test the YouTube streaming again today. Pretty stable overall and much better than the first one. I'm still puzzled by the ghosting and interference you see in this video around 10:29. AN otherwise perfect video feed gets whacky, and this time, as the P3 is close to me. You'll hear my voice speculating about antennas, but I have no idea. The first part of the flight is just flying around to test the live stream, but around 10:29 or a little earlier, that is what i'm trying to solve for. I think, but am not sure, that it appears even if I am not streaming, but just taking the straight-in fpv feed. Any ideas?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very weird problem. It seemed like it was a fairly choppy feed that got worse towards the end. Maybe heat or processing speed?

That digitizing ghost look I've seen when I start losing FPV signal. Definitely shouldn't have that happen close in! Have you tried 1080p at 30 fps? Clear the video cache?

Very weird problem. It seemed like it was a fairly choppy feed that got worse towards the end. Maybe heat or processing speed?

That digitizing ghost look I've seen when I start losing FPV signal. Definitely shouldn't have that happen close in! Have you tried 1080p at 30 fps? Clear the video cache?
I haven't but will try other video setting and frame rates. I would guess that the P3 sends the video back at a standard, regardless of what you are recording, but I like your suggestion and will try it. Thanks much

Reactions: Fplvert
I'm gonna do some testing too, bro! Time for windsurfer just for fun!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers