Video Jitters - Jello effect?

Reaction score
Had my P3 for a couple of days, it is my first Phantom. I was wondering if it is 'normal' for the recorded video to be this jittery? Every recording so far has had a pronounced wobble. My mates P2 vision plus recordings taken at the same time are much smoother. Am I doing something wrong- or just expecting too much?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Comments appreciated!

Last edited:
Had my P3 for a couple of days, it is my first Phantom. I was wondering if it is 'normal' for the recorded video to be this jittery? Every recording so far has had a pronounced wobble. My mates P2 vision plus recordings taken at the same time are much smoother. Am I doing something wrong- or just expecting too much?

Comments appreciated!

I am having the same problem. Check out this video and watch the trees. Every 2 seconds there seems to be some sort of vibration causing the video to shake. I am wondering if it is from the gimbal?

You will want to make sure you don't have too fast of a shutter speed. Take the FPS and times that by to. 30 FPS should have a shutter speed of 1/60 24FPS 1/50 (round up) and this should help.

How does one lock the shutter speed?

I am having the same problem. Check out this video and watch the trees. Every 2 seconds there seems to be some sort of vibration causing the video to shake. I am wondering if it is from the gimbal?

Yes its exactly the same issue as mine! thanks for the reply. I dont have this issue with the P3 Pro. I followed spankybear's advice and reduced the shutter speed and 'voila' - no more jitters! (Thankyou).

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomMenace65
Andy, Waxings:
This slight jello is caused by vibration which cannot be absorbed by rubber dumpers.
On my P3P, usually none, but putting sun shade (3D printed, approx. 4g) causes unbalance of gimbal and jello occurred. Also on strong wind day (> 15kts), or rapid descending.
I think, balancing props or change hardness of rubber dumper will improve the vibration (although I haven't tried by myself). That was effective on my P2 + GoPro.

P.S. As some people wrote above, high FPS will effective to decrease jello, but still blur remains - a same object is at different pixel on previous and next frame. Also ND filter (lower shutter speed) is effective, but also blur - only band width of rolling shutter becomes wider. If post processing could remove jello, also resolution lowers. Basically, to take advantage of precision of 4K video, defeating vibration is the only way, IMHO.

Last edited:
Andy, Waxings:
This slight jello is caused by vibration which cannot be absorbed by rubber dumpers.
On my P3P, usually none, but putting sun shade (3D printed, approx. 4g) causes unbalance of gimbal and jello occurred. Also on strong wind day (> 15kts), or rapid descending.
I think, balancing props or change hardness of rubber dumper will improve the vibration (although I haven't tried by myself). That was effective on my P2 + GoPro.

P.S. As some people wrote above, high FPS will effective to decrease jello, but still blur remains - a same object is at different pixel on previous and next frame. Also ND filter (lower shutter speed) is effective, but also blur - only band width of rolling shutter becomes wider. If post processing could remove jello, also resolution lowers. Basically, to take advantage of precision of 4K video, defeating vibration is the only way, IMHO.
Taroh,
Thanks for the reply but I am thinking that the vibration is in the gimbal? The bumpers would have little change on this right? At times I can hear the gimbal make a grinding sound and I am thinking that is what is going on when it is flying? Every time that sound comes on it will vibrate the video?

Has anyone tried an ND filter with any success? I have ordered a gadget to help me to check the balance of the props in the meantime, I can see from reading around the forums that this is a wider issue. I expected my Phantom 3 Advanced to work 'well' straight out of the box and it doesn't. My Phantom 3 Pro doesn't have this problem. Its a new hobby and I have a lot to learn. No reply from DJI Support yet :) But yes an interesting observation Waxings - my gimbal does 'buzz' on my advanced usually when its at the end of its travel - whereas the gimbal on my pro doesn't.

How does one lock the shutter speed?
It is in camera settings. You can set ISO and shutter speed. After that you will not want to move the exposure wheel on the right side of the RC.

You can play with the shutter speed and a faster shutter will give you more jello.

The slight sound that can be heard only when silent night and when you're checking your App settings, which was not till P2, seems to be from the supersonic sensor. Not gimbal.
Last night, I even could hear sound of cooling fan from... RC transmitter!! (o_o)/ The world is getting more and more complicated...

I had the same issue and I contacted DJI and they said it was definitely a hardware problem. Luckily I contacted them in time because they are sending me a replacement.

I had the same issue and I contacted DJI and they said it was definitely a hardware problem. Luckily I contacted them in time because they are sending me a replacement.
Who did you purchase the phantom from? Was it from DJI?

Multicopterwarehouse.com, but they had to go back to DJI to get authorization. But DJI support were the ones initially that told me it was a hardware problem.

Who is replacing yours. I have called my dealer and they have none in stock. Not happy!

Received my replacement P3A today. and the videos are like night at day! They are so smooth now! Beyond my expectations. Almost can't tell you're shooting them from a drone!

Is this problem of jittery video confined to the P3 Advanced? Does it show up in the P3 Pro?

I just got my P3A this week and the video is very jittery. If this is a hardware problem, and it seems like it is from the discussions on this forum, then I'm sending it back for a replacement or an upgrade to P3P.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.