Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

Stinger said:
Hi,

Just wondering what your opinion is on these motors: http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2014/C ... 0/279.html
vs the DJI E300 Tuned Propulsion System: http://www.dji.com/product/tuned-propulsion-system

Specs for each motor are found at the bottom of the pages.

Which motor would be better for use as an upgrade in the Phantom 1.1.1 or 1.5?

I've been using the E300 set up and it works extremely well. The drawback is the ESCs are larger and a tight fit in the arms and you lose the leds on the arms, I use the external LED.

Stinger said:
Thanks...which between the two motors and esc's, based on their perspective specs, do you think will be more efficient? I would have to use external LED's with either set up. Bought these from ebay for that very purpose. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/361115305794?ssP ... 1439.l2649

I really couldn't guess which would be more efficient, I just preferred to stay w/DJI motors. Re: External LED - I use the DJI external on all of my UAVs for simplicity and I don't have light(s) in my night shots.

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    6.3 KB · Views: 466

is there a better place to get the multistar 5200 battery than getting it from hobbyking?. I am going out of state in 2 weeks and would like to have a bigger battery than the 2200's I have. or is there another battery for longer flight times that fit in a p1.5?

dteca said:
is there a better place to get the multistar 5200 battery than getting it from hobbyking?. I am going out of state in 2 weeks and would like to have a bigger battery than the 2200's I have. or is there another battery for longer flight times that fit in a p1.5?

Nope. Turnigy is owned by Hextronik... who are the parent company of Hobbyking. HK is the only place you'll find genuine ones.

Hi,

Just wondering what your opinion is on these motors: http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2014/C ... 0/279.html
vs the DJI E300 Tuned Propulsion System: http://www.dji.com/product/tuned-propulsion-system

Specs for each motor are found at the bottom of the pages.

Which motor would be better for use as an upgrade in the Phantom 1.1.1 or 1.5?

I agree with MC on this one. DJI motors these days are cheap and reliable (thanks to the mass market they have created). No doubt the T-motor version are as good and I've even heard rumours that DJI use T-Motor internals (windings) these days.... whether that is true or not the fact is that you won't likely get any more effiecency out of the T-Motors.

Thanks MC and Dewey. The T motors are considerably less expensive then the DJI motors. That may play a factor in my selection. Do the 20 amp esc's of the T motors make any difference compared to the 15 amp esc's of the DJI motors?

Thanks

Stinger said:
Thanks MC and Dewey. The T motors are considerably less expensive then the DJI motors. That may play a factor in my selection. Do the 20 amp esc's of the T motors make any difference compared to the 15 amp esc's of the DJI motors?

Thanks

Interesting. I didn't notice the pricing on the Quad version was so low. Pretty competitive. Well worth a punt at that price actually given T-Motors usual high quality.

As for the ESC's... I doubt you will see any real difference at all. Refresh rate is likely pretty good but then DJI's have never been too bad for it. If anything you will see a few extra seconds flight time but it really depends on their weight. One thing that needs to be considered when going the route of any non-stock Phantom ESC is weight. If you don't strip the ESC down a bit and hard solder the wires then you will end with a good 50g extra weight from the 12 Bullet connecters across all the arms.

Interesting that they have prompted for 920kv on a 2312 as opposed to DJI who went for a hight 960kv. Given you can't go beyond 9450 props size I'd say again it isn't something to concern over.

Best bet, get some, test'em and let us know how they go! :D

Thanks Dewey.

Yeah, they are about $100.00 Canadian less then the DJI motors. I'm glad you mentioned about the bullet connectors. That's something I would not have considered. I will definitely be snipping those off and hard soldering them. 50 gms is a lot...especially with a Phantom.

I think Im going to a minimalist upgrade, with exception of the motors. I'm simply going to move the guts of the Phantom 1 into a Phantom 2 body and add the internal power plug with the added XT60 connectors. That's it, nothing more. As long as I can use parallel lipos and a Phantom 2 battery, Im happy. The money I save by not adding the Phantom 2 board and canbus etc I will re-invest into a Phantom 2 or an Inspire 1. Total cost: $80.00. Add the upgraded T motors, Total Cost: $220.00.

With that, hopefully I will have a Phantom 2 or Inspire 1 by spring of next year. :)

Wet weather has kept my P1.5 grounded too long and I'm worried about keeping the P2 batteries at a full charge. Today I wired up a 12 volt halogen bulb to a P2 charging plug with the idea of discharging the battery to a storage level. For some reasons, however, this didn't work and the halogen doesn't light up -- but if I plug into a regular lipo, it does.

So, back to the drawing board. I see that my iMax B6 charger does have a Pb discharge mode. Do any of you use this or know what discharge rate would be safest for the P2? I assume that I set it for 12 volts but how about current? One amp? Two?

thanks!

GL - Is it not lighting the bulb even after turning the battery on (like you would the Phantom). Sorry I know that sounds like a bit of patronising question but every test I've done suggests that it pumps out voltage at this point. Only thing I can think is if the bulb is drawing a current that the battery circuit won't accept maybe? (though I'd still expect it to work).

I would advise avoiding the Pb discharge mode. It would probably work but its a little unpredictable (I found charging it that way didn't give a consistant charge vs the P2 charger). Better to just put the props on, weight it down and let it slow idol in a room for 15 mins. You could do it with the props off but the motor bearings like a bit of load over time.

Please, Dewey.... patronize me to the max! Turn the battery on? Who would ever think a battery had to be turned on? Certainly not me....

Turned the battery on according to your instructions: let there be light! And there is a LOT of light. So much in fact, that I have it out on the porch, as it is blinding me inside the house.

Now about that charger... it sounds as if I should invest in a genuine P2 charger. I have noticed problems with my batteries, all of which have light use but now don't seem to consistently charge fully.

GearLoose said:
Please, Dewey.... patronize me to the max! Turn the battery on? Who would ever think a battery had to be turned on? Certainly not me....

Turned the battery on according to your instructions: let there be light! And there is a LOT of light. So much in fact, that I have it out on the porch, as it is blinding me inside the house.

Now about that charger... it sounds as if I should invest in a genuine P2 charger. I have noticed problems with my batteries, all of which have light use but now don't seem to consistently charge fully.

Glad you got it sorted GL! When I first did the P1.5 I had to reach to the net to find out how the hell you turn it on (after several head scratches!) :lol:

For the P2 batt I think the DJI option is probably wise. I was getting really weird voltage readings out of the batt when I did the PB method. I think it did max 12.42v whereas the DJI one did 12.6v. DJI mentioned somewhere (can't remember where) that the charger won't let you charge it unless it is less than a certain voltage. I suspect that technology might be what I witnessed but I can't really see how it would know the difference between the two!

Thought I'd say a quick happy christmas to the fellow 1.5er's! Heres hoping Santa fills our stockings with all kinds of new crazy RC flying kit ;-).... no need to rub it in if that happens to be an inspire 1 though ya lucky buggers!! :D

Merry Christmas to you as well. Thanks for all your help. Best Wishes.

Hey DeweyAXD,

First of all this thread is loaded with tons of great information. I have a phantom 1 with the upgrade board that I upgraded to the 1.5 and everything went great. I also added on the canbus mod. I was using the H3-2D gimbal and felt it was time to upgrade to the H3-3D gimbal. I couldn't take the yaw wag anymore. I was using the canbus hack to run the BTU Module. It was so nice making adjustments on my iPhone and not having to plug in the stupid wire. Here is my question. I need a second can bus port so I can plug in my BTU module. Can I splice into the same can bus hack and add another connector will that work? The v2 GCU is now plugged into the canbus. Any comments invited.

Thank you
Alan

Mashuugana said:
Hey DeweyAXD,

First of all this thread is loaded with tons of great information. I have a phantom 1 with the upgrade board that I upgraded to the 1.5 and everything went great. I also added on the canbus mod. I was using the H3-2D gimbal and felt it was time to upgrade to the H3-3D gimbal. I couldn't take the yaw wag anymore. I was using the canbus hack to run the BTU Module. It was so nice making adjustments on my iPhone and not having to plug in the stupid wire. Here is my question. I need a second can bus port so I can plug in my BTU module. Can I splice into the same can bus hack and add another connector will that work? The v2 GCU is now plugged into the canbus. Any comments invited.

Thank you
Alan

Hi Alan

Always nice to see people getting use out of this thread (although a massive thanks has to go to the many people that contributed too!).
As far as I know you cannot just splice into the CAN-BUS wiring to create a second one but then I will confess to not being an electrical engineer on that. I believe their will be a CAN module that controls what data is being accessed/sent in each device. I know of people that added a PMUv2 as well as the CAN-BUS mod and they had problems when using both for that reason too. Don't let that stop you trying it and posting back here if it works though.

This really only leaves you with the CAN-BUS Hub http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/dji-can-bus-hub.html which will work fine if you can find a place for it (My FPV Undertray is always an option http://www.shapeways.com/product/2U8SDX ... -undertray ;) but I think you have to shave it down a smidge for the H3-3D).

Of course others may have plan more cunning than mine.

DeweyAXD,

I haven't tried the canbus Hub addon yet but I'll post my results here when I do. I purchased this door for my Phantom 1.5. Will it take/Fit the 5200mah MultistarBattery? 1 x DJI Phantom 1.5 - 40mm Battery Door v2 in White Strong & Flexible Polished

This is the right battery?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... _Pack.html

Alan

Sweet! I'm going to order a few. What kind of run time should I expect with 3 axis gimbal/gopro ?

Yes!!!

Just ordered what I need for my Phantom 1.5 conversion for my P1.1.1!

1x P2 shell
1x P2 board
1x P2 Canbus/leg
1x P2 USB cap
1x P2 FPV Hub

1x DJI Phantom 1.5 - 40mm Battery door V2
2x Multistar 3S 5200 mah
1x male to mal cable extension set for the P1 LED

Looking forward to my new P1.5!

Cheers!
Fred

Recent Posts