Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

PJA said:
dteca said:
Dewey I understand what you are saying there. at this time I am just trying to use one at a time. the pmu is soldered on the board right now. if I don't utilize the the pmu and and use the leg module my gs does not connect. I don't think the board has the gps signal. doesn't the board need the gps signal? I don't think the p2 board and the p1 gps will interact. I am beginning to think the p2 board is not good for the p1.5 upgrade. and looking at the post from Stinger, I am wondering if the p2 esc's would help my situation. I am beginning to think I need the p2 gps to really take full advantage of the p2 board.
dteca...

Watch the installation of the iOSD on a P2 Circuit Board in the video below. It shows you the set up through the Canbus, NOT the PMU, which you don't need... Remember, you still basically have a Phantom 1 (or in your case a Fc40) in a Phantom 2 shell with the P2 Circuit Board as a sort of upgrade board (no pmu needed)...

Once you install the iOSD and Canbus as shown in the video, you connect the GPS cable from the top part of the P2 shell into the black port on the P2 board as shown in the pic of my uninstalled board (above the hastily drawn red arrow - lol)... It even says GPS in very tiny letters to label the port... This should work...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v91nelBVoH0[/youtube]

15241654693_d386304a09_c.jpg

The problem is: THE P1 GPS DOES NOT COMMUNICATE WITH P2 BOARD... so unless someone had succes with that, the P2 board is NOT an option because the CAN Port is NOT going to deliver the data needed for the iOSD...

I may be wrong but until know noboady actually tested this with success...

Dewey - the 4s mod to Phantom works well except for 1 thing. If you're using a Zenmuse gimbal using the p2 configuration (no external GCU) the gimbal goes through the start up motions then goes limp. It must have the external GCU for the gimbal to handle the 4s battery. Found that out when doing a 1.5 conversion for a friend.

Thanks MC - unlikely a gimbal will ever get on board of this unless I invest in CF winglets and mount 2 batts to them (8000mah 4s... hmmm :twisted: ). It was just an excuse to try the Vector out for a bit and see how it fairs compared to the NAZA (Its long term home will probably be on my Skywalker 1800 fixed wing). Being NAZA'less it'd have to be my Feiyu-Tech G3 Ultra... still tempting.

Dewey, one last question. If you had to pick between the Tiger Anti-Gravity Motors (http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2013/A ... 16/76.html) and the E300 Propulsion System for a motor upgrade, which one would you pick?

I'd probably go for E300's. I have anti-grav's on mine and they work great but I was one of a few people that got the 'mis-labelled' batch (Bell housing had CW stamped/labelled when actually it was a CCW bell!). I also found tha the white powder coat made screwing the props down quite 'sticky' cause the powder coat gums up the thread. These are niggles and T-Motor have fixed the issue of mis-labelled motors. Performance wise they are great but I honestly don't think they hold much if any peformance over the E300's which now have better, longer lasting bearings and stronger windings.

So yeah go for the E300 kit... I bought a Hex kit because it offers spares on quads and gives me a hex option if I ever decide I want one. If you just need the motors then they are great value individually (like half the price of Anit-G's).

Thanks Dewey. E300's it is. If I can get away with just replacing my P1 motors with the E300's without replacing the esc's that would be an easy and very inexpensive upgrade. But, and correct me if Im wrong, that's not possible. I will need to replace the esc's as well which again understand are not compatible with the nav. lights??? These will need to be replaced..correct?

Guys,

Did anyone manage to integrate a Naza V1 to work with P2 main board? i.e working LEDs in ESCs etc...
I have a P2 with a damaged Naza / GPS that needs replacement, and thinking about hacking in a Naza Lite or Naza V1 + GPS...

any ideas?

thanks.

EMCSQUAR said:
Experiments Continue

To all 1.5 bretheren and followers more experiments yeild new results:

A) Instead of the $70. DJI upgrade board you can use the $49-$59 (depend on where you buy from) Phantom 2 board.

B) Instead of doing the Sarawuth soldering exercise (which isn't for the faint of heart) you can make your own canbus cable to be used w/P2 board as per El G's most excellent cable diagram (borrowed from another forum) see below

Note: Cutting a canbus cable using factory wiring color codes are:

Rv (power) = Red
GNd (ground = Brown
Ch = Orange
CL = Yellow

Add the $12 hub and you have gimbal & FPV control - with the handy OSD on/off switch for those of us who occassionally stream videos and don't need stats sent out. No GCU, No PMU and no surgeon soldering required.

Except the fact that the Phantom 1 GPS does NOT communicate with the P2 board...

Tobrouk said:
EMCSQUAR said:
Experiments Continue

To all 1.5 bretheren and followers more experiments yeild new results:

A) Instead of the $70. DJI upgrade board you can use the $49-$59 (depend on where you buy from) Phantom 2 board.

B) Instead of doing the Sarawuth soldering exercise (which isn't for the faint of heart) you can make your own canbus cable to be used w/P2 board as per El G's most excellent cable diagram (borrowed from another forum) see below

Note: Cutting a canbus cable using factory wiring color codes are:

Rv (power) = Red
GNd (ground = Brown
Ch = Orange
CL = Yellow

Add the $12 hub and you have gimbal & FPV control - with the handy OSD on/off switch for those of us who occassionally stream videos and don't need stats sent out. No GCU, No PMU and no surgeon soldering required.

Except the fact that the Phantom 1 GPS does NOT communicate with the P2 board...

I have to correct you on this point because YES it does work. I'm 900 miles from home currently and just happen to have 3 of my birds with me and to show you I opened up my P1.5 just for the attached photo. Not only does it work for P2 board, the IOSD & ground station are powered off the P2 board. That is P1 GPS in lid and I extended the cables to the board.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 487

Yeah the GPS on the P2 socket on the board works just like the upgrade board. All it does is take the signal from the GPS plug to the pre-soldered Expo wire on the board (allowing easy unplug to remove the lid). I believe it also shares the signal with the Can-Bus channels of iOSD use but I think that is actually done after its gone through the NAZA. Net result is that it should work fine.

Tobrouk - can you maybe sketch out a wiring diagram of your setup for us all to take a look at? No reason we can't help you get this going and MC is the master of the P2 board on a P1.5.

Thanks Dewey. E300's it is. If I can get away with just replacing my P1 motors with the E300's without replacing the esc's that would be an easy and very inexpensive upgrade. But, and correct me if Im wrong, that's not possible. I will need to replace the esc's as well which again understand are not compatible with the nav. lights??? These will need to be replaced..correct?

Stock P1 ESC's will work fine with the E300's - they are just re-worked versions of the original 2212's that came on the Phantom. The 9" prop makes the ESC work a little hard but the E300's are only 2 amps higher rated and I've never drawn more that 16amps at full chat on my P1.5.

@i3dm - MC or others might have to correct me here but I think you will have no problem with the ESC's function but the LED function won't work correctly due to the lack of P2 NAZA which controls it.

Quick request. For those who have upgraded to the E300 kit do you have a link to where you purchased the replacement navigational LED's? I'm sure there is a link in this 109 page thread somewhere I just cant find it. :)

Thanks

Stinger said:
Quick request. For those who have upgraded to the E300 kit do you have a link to where you purchased the replacement navigational LED's? I'm sure there is a link in this 109 page thread somewhere I just cant find it. :)

Thanks
I was looking at these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361115305794?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Although they won't be set up as status LED's as a P2 Phantom, they will fill the gap for navigational LED's...

I intend to do it that way when I convert my P1.5 to the P2 Board and E300's... Unless someone has any better ideas... ;)

Thanks PJA...they look to me. They should work.

Just an FYI, I've switched to the E300s on my P1.5s and I did away with OEM LEDs in arms and just use the external LED. Personally I've gotten use to it and it makes night shots a lot easier. (It did take a little getting used to)

DeweyAXD said:
Yeah the GPS on the P2 socket on the board works just like the upgrade board. All it does is take the signal from the GPS plug to the pre-soldered Expo wire on the board (allowing easy unplug to remove the lid). I believe it also shares the signal with the Can-Bus channels of iOSD use but I think that is actually done after its gone through the NAZA. Net result is that it should work fine.

Tobrouk - can you maybe sketch out a wiring diagram of your setup for us all to take a look at? No reason we can't help you get this going and MC is the master of the P2 board on a P1.5.

Here a wiring diagram... thanks for your feedbacks!

Attachments

• Diag.PNG
    Diag.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 662

Tobrouk said:
DeweyAXD said:

Here a wiring diagram... thanks for your feedbacks!

That looks fine to me. Is setting up this way causing you issues then? I know dteca was having problems but have you actually found the GPS problem yourself?

Yep, I think this should work. Don't know why dteca had a problem (this is dteca photo actually).

Nope, haven't bought the parts yet. But because of dteca feedback and another one on a german forum, I wanted to be sure 100% that it will work... Don't want to waist time to do a convertion that is not going to work... :)

Hi,

I guess I'm missing it but I was wondering what are the benefits/advantages to upgrading to the P2 motherboard as apposed to keeping the upgraded P1 motherboard?

Stinger said:
Hi,

I guess I'm missing it but I was wondering what are the benefits/advantages to upgrading to the P2 motherboard as apposed to keeping the upgraded P1 motherboard?

The P2 board includes the can bus port and eliminates the soldering to the board. (For IOSD, 2.4 GS, etc)

EMCSQUAR said:
Stinger said:
Hi,

The P2 board includes the can bus port and eliminates the soldering to the board. (For IOSD, 2.4 GS, etc)

Yeah I think the best solder friendly route from P1 (or 1.1.1) to P1.5 is:

Keep - P1 ESC's
Keep - P1 GPS (keep in top half)
buy - P2 Shell (only use bottom half)
buy - P2 Main Board
buy - Can-Bus port/Leg mount
Buy - DJI Internal Power Connecter with XT60 soldered to the rear (for Lipo useage)
Buy (option) P2 Battery

Assuming you don't swap the motors out then the only soldering needed is the ESC's to the board and the XT60 to the IPC (plus wise to add an aux power wire here too). This keeps the Green/Red ESC's and you can simply take the old lid off the P1 and put it directly onto the P2 base.... no need unstick/move the GPS from one to other.

Of course most P1 owners will want the CW/CCW option for the 9443/9540 props so a motor swap will be needed.

Might just add this to Post Number 1 of this thread (saves a few people 110 pages to get to it :lol: ).

Oh, I forgot to mention I think I will be swapping my motors and esc's for the E300 motors/esc's. I know that if I do that the LED's in the arms will need to be replaced. PJA suggested these LED's from ebay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/361115305794?ssP ... 1438.l2649

And thank you for the list. I guess the LED's can be added for those who want to upgrade their motors and esc's.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94