Video Editing Workflow

Reaction score
Hello

I've been in the photography world for years and I'm very familiar and experienced in programs such as Lightroom and Photoshop which work well for photo editing. I now also want to get into aerial cinematography, which is a new thing for me, so I was wondering what is the optimal workflow that professionals use?

I see there is Premiere Pro, After Effects and Davinci Resolve used a lot. Are all three of those needed for professional editing and what exactly can one do that other can't? For example, it's not possible to use Davinci Resolve for everything and for what would I need the PP or AE during the whole process?

Last edited:
I don't know what davinci is but I'd recommend premier. you probably don't need after effects its a more advanced editing program, I use it for vfx mostly but it's definitely nice to have and editing between premiere and after effects is very easy. The only other one is suggest is Final Cut Pro, I've used it a lot it's a great program premier is a bit more complicated but overall is a bit better.

The workflow is quite similar to photography, with the added editing! So, it goes something like this:

Film
View rushes and discard trash shots
Transfer all good shots to project folder
Edit as timeline - Premiere Pro is great for this, but Sony Vegas is cheaper and can produce similarly high results, but for less money!
Grade video using either the tools with Premiere, plug ins or a stand-alone like Da-Vinci. Personally, I grade in Premiere, by using a 2nd timeline and doing the grading on this.
Stabilization if required can be done in various packages, with Pro-drenalin very popular. Not needed it myself, as I find the 3D gimbal does a great job. Do this as part of the edit prior to grading.
Export as suitable file for end use. Keep project file and clips in 1 directory, as this makes offlining, transferring and retrieving the project much easier.

You don't need AE unless you are putting in special effects - flames shooting out the ground, that sort of thing!

Anyone here using Davinci Resolve for all of this? I hear great stuff about their latest version. Can DR do the editing part now as well as other programs or is this still behind PP ?

From what I see on davinci resolve it should work just wouldn't be considered a professional tool such as premiere it looks like more like an iMovie type program.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl