VIDEO: Carrington Tract Fire Island NY.

Reaction score
Center City Philadelphia and Fire Island, NY
At our summer home location on Fire island, NY, this video shows the Carrington Tract, a wilderness area situated in between the communities of Cherry Grove and the Fire Island Pines on Fire Island, NY. The tract is a part of the National Seashore and the national park system. The video shows the relative size and location of the tract, the tree canopy and other vegetation, and the labyrinth of foot trails known as "The Meat Rack" that exists underneath the canopy. The foot trails have been a meeting place for members of the gay male community on Fire Island for decades. While the NPS (National Park System) is a no-fly zone, the communities on Fire Island are a part of New York State. NPS regulations forbid drone operations in or on park lands, however drones launched and landed from outside the park boundaries (private or state property) can legally fly in the national airspace over parklands.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Islands can have some pretty wild sides to them, not being land, swamp, dune. It a world in the making. I always love hiking in those areas, seeing the evolution of one class of land overtaking another. No, I am not gay. I lived on an island and my backyard was full of painted buntings and an alligator snapper that ruled.
I have a similar video of Presque Isle. PA. It's a state park, but easily accessible from outside the park limits from the harbor entrance.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for the history. If you're interested in making better videos, you could try your hand at editing. Davinci Resolve is a free download if your computer can handle it and there are plenty of Youtube videos to explain it. Editing is the most creative part of the process.

Interesting, thanks for the history. If you're interested in making better videos, you could try your hand at editing. Davinci Resolve is a free download if your computer can handle it and there are plenty of Youtube videos to explain it. Editing is the most creative part of the process.
Thanks for the suggestion. I used to use Windows Movie Maker until they removed it from Win 10. So now I use the minimal video editor in Photos. So I did edit this video. I tried a different editing program with more features but I found the learning curve too great. I shot this footage for a film project so the creator of that film will do more editing.

While the editing programs are very deep, you only need to use the basic cutting tools. It's worth the investment in time. Also yawing is the hardest and least cinematic shot unless you incorporate into a move with other elements. Try watching this video for some good cinematic moves. Vic has many videos explaining his techniques.

While the editing programs are very deep, you only need to use the basic cutting tools. It's worth the investment in time. Also yawing is the hardest and least cinematic shot unless you incorporate into a move with other elements. Try watching this video for some good cinematic moves. Vic has many videos explaining his techniques.
Again, making videos is not my interest. I like to fly and take photos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic