Video Background Music - Sources, laws and ideas from users

Reaction score
A silent Phantom video seems so bad compared to the same video with good music. But there are many laws, sources and issues to get music that is legal, matches the feeling of the video and getting it the right length of time.

This is a thread to help new Phantom videographers to enhance their edited videos with legal music. If you know a lot about this subject please take a minute to share some of the basics, like sources, prices, legality of using copyrighted music for personal, not commercial video use.

iMovie is quick to give you access to your downloaded iTunes music to add a sound track to your Phantom video. Is this legal if you are sharing your video with friends? With the public? With a business, like on a real estate property video where most would call that a commercial use even if all FAA rules were followed in posting the video on a real estate website.

I had read one press release on the Phantom 3 Director feature where legal music was going to be easy to add to your video. Does anyone have a video created on Director to share?

DJI could do a big favor to their customers by providing access to music that they paid for and made the legal arrangements to allow their Phantom customers to use the music without fear of copyright infringement issues. I think YouTube and other video hosting site do sometimes pull videos where the owner of the music files a complaint about it being used.

I have put up quite a few videos on youtube and used my iTunes music.

I have had a couple of videos blocked in 1 or 2 countries (mainly Germany).

Other than that not had any problems at all.

The free music tends to be not that great, or at least the ones I have found so far.
Youtube does have quite a lot on there as well you can choose from.

Reactions: Stan_in_KS
I use Sonicfire Pro.

DJI does have music we can use for free. Its in part of their editing software.
I understand your frustration I dealt with this many times. I still use copyrighted music. Its a hit or miss. I also make my own music and beats. There is also websites that share music specifically for this concern. Google it

I use PremiumBeat for most of my projects. If it's a personal thing that I'm making for my own satisfaction, education, and experience, I browse through Vimeo's library. They have lots of free ones and tracks that are .99-1.99.

Rather than try and repeat it, here's a good article on the details of how to use copyrighted music on your YouTube videos.

http://blog.sonicbids.com/copyright...be-video-and-what-to-do-if-someone-uses-yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been looking into this subject lately and did a little research. It seems you get what you pay for, as with most things in life. I found what I wanted at AudioJungle but the track that I wanted to buy is $18.00. It seems like a lot, so I'm still considering.

Having spent a couple of hours already, it's obvious you could spend half your life looking for that perfect track!

Reactions: Brent10
I have been looking into this subject lately and did a little research. It seems you get what you pay for, as with most things in life. I found what I wanted at AudioJungle but the track that I wanted to buy is $18.00. It seems like a lot, so I'm still considering.

Having spent a couple of hours already, it's obvious you could spend half your life looking for that perfect track!

You hit the nail on the head: You get what you pay for. If you want a full orchestral sound, I've found AudioJungle a good source.

I started this topic, so thanks for the contributions so far, I am sure new Phantom owners will appreciate the articles and other comments. Where do you get access to the DJI music library? My Director portion of the IOS 1.1.1 App doesn't work, or I don't know how to finish a video. My efforts have been frustrating failures. I suspect is is a broken portion of this release and will be fixed in the next update.

I think anyone who has good or bad experience with sources of music that can be used legally, or for a small cost, I hope you share your ideas and a link to the source. Many people, including me, are trying to learn as fast as possible and other's experience in this are could save me hours of frustration.

Google Free Music Tracks for videos and you get a lot of bait and switch links. There are a few free and everything else is much more expensive than a hobbyist wants to pay. Most are looking for commercial ad agency business for a paid commercial, where $20 to $200 bucks is what they will pay.

iTunes works for iMovie, but many videos are using excellent music, and I wish more of them named their music source in their descriptions.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic