Video and FPV for Phantom 2

bellumgessi said:
Ravecreative - quick Question: In looking at your mount, what makes the mount from swinging off? Since it doesn't seem to have bolt to hold it to the TX It would seem that if you tilted the TX down it would just swing on the clip to the bar. Is how it connects around the antenna what keeps it stable?

The mount has a tapered slot which holds it in place under the collar at the bottom of the antenna. The end then clips onto the rail.

Hope that helps.

via iPhone 5S

I made this video to hopefully help with your setting process for FPV and iOSD mini. All you got to do is solder the corresponding wires (red to red....brown to black....yellow to yellow....orange to yellow...) and maybe throw on some heat shrink to keep everything nice and tidy. Let me know if you have any questions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv7pE_sM5x8[/youtube]

went FPV flying today and for the first time ever i totally lost my bearings as to where i was and even which direction i was heading

i've gotta say, i'm so glad i bought the iosd mini - i now know how ESSENTIAL it is.
Aside from the power levels and altitude, the little diamond shaped home indicator is a life saver, as without it i'd probably never have seen my phantom again

now i hardly ever even look up into the sky, i just fly from my monitor - it's sssso cool - i love it
it's also amazing how it draws a crowd of people who want to watch the flight from the monitor too

bellumgessi said:
Ravecreative said:
Yeh. Makerbot replicator 2

I am doing a few mods to it,I need to slightly change the angle of the screen, and put a little return on the back
I'll put a link to the stl as soon as it's done

Can send you the file too if you want. I did it in inventor fusion, if you have it. (It's free on the mac. And it's awesome)
Thanks!! I uses sketchup and an ultimaker. I'll try out the inventor fusion! Been looking for a Mac alternative!

Hey just circling back - Wanted to see if you can share the design files (I downloaded Fusion) so I am ready. My goal is to print it on my ultimaker.

THANKS!!
Matt

droneranger said:
Maybz said:
Ravecreative said:
No problem, i can only print max 2 a day, as they take a long time to print

If anyone wants one, PM me and i'll send a paypal request

@xpower180 - £20, funnily enough, the shipping is no cheaper to uk than USA - Mad!
unless you're local, then you could pick one up - where are you based?

monitor is pretty stable, no wobbles, but i've added a second hole on the back for an additional fixing just in case anyone wants it to be rock solid (it probably doesn't need it - but hey-ho, just in case)
i just used a standard monitor screw to hold it on the base - i don't have any, but i could get hold of some - i assume they are all a standard size

Was gonna model my own monitor mount but I love yours! Would you be willing to share the design and send me a .STL or Makerbot file? I'll simply print one out here then :)

Also, I have a Lilliput 664W and I'm not that impressed - especially for the price. Would like to hear your thoughts on how the two compare in your opinion. I was actually thinking of switching to the cheaper one you are using. Thanks and cheers.
I certainly would like to hear your opinion on the Lilliput! :D

I am also ready to buy the lilliput 664W but after what you said i am rethinking it. If you can share your opinion it will help us :D

TBH, i'm still waiting for my lilliput, but i'm seriously thinking of cancelling it, as i have no problems with the cheap monitor i am using.

its bright enough, its got a good built in receiver and battery and its pretty tough

i'm sold on it - i'm thinking of just putting the lilliput money towards a futaba 14 SGH transmitter (not that i need it, it just looks good :)

Ravecreative said:
Ok, I've printed 6 mounts for the fpv monitor, if anyone wants one PM me

Thanks.

Can't PM you as I am a new user, but I would love to buy one of your printed mounts! They look so much slicker than the normal ones.

Ravecreative said:
TBH, i'm still waiting for my lilliput, but i'm seriously thinking of cancelling it, as i have no problems with the cheap monitor i am using.

its bright enough, its got a good built in receiver and battery and its pretty tough

i'm sold on it - i'm thinking of just putting the lilliput money towards a futaba 14 SGH transmitter (not that i need it, it just looks good :)
Which monitor do you currently have?

@tphaley - ive sent you a PM

Hiya droneranger - how the devil are you? :)

I'm still sticking with my all-in-one monitor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201006432833

TBH, i did a bit of looking around and it strikes me that most of the FPV screens out there use the same inners
all of the specs are the same, resolutions, brightness etc - its just the inputs that differ - the case is just blanked off where others put connectors

obviously that's just my opinion, i'm sure i'm going to be told different.

but i have had no issues with it - the channels match the avl58 exactly, the built in battery is good for about 2.5 hours
and i dont need any bits stuck to the back of it - nice and slick

Ravecreative said:
@tphaley - ive sent you a PM

Hiya droneranger - how the devil are you? :)

I'm still sticking with my all-in-one monitor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201006432833

TBH, i did a bit of looking around and it strikes me that most of the FPV screens out there use the same inners
all of the specs are the same, resolutions, brightness etc - its just the inputs that differ - the case is just blanked off where others put connectors

obviously that's just my opinion, i'm sure i'm going to be told different.

but i have had no issues with it - the channels match the avl58 exactly, the built in battery is good for about 2.5 hours
and i dont need any bits stuck to the back of it - nice and slick
Cool! You're beginning to make me rethink spending 3X more on the Lilliput. How far away have you flown it with FPV and no Blue Screen?

Still waiting on my replacement P2 w/Zenmuse to come from B&H...... :(

560m away and 170up

it did lose signal momentarily when i flew behind a building 400m away (scary), but didnt go blue screen

also....
thinking about using one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-female-jack ... 0880248343

i currently bend my cloverleaf antenna 90 degrees down, but it does say in the tech sheet not to do this
so i thought it would be a good solution to get the transmission part of the antenna down away from the gimbal (ie almost touching the floor) , as sometimes the signal gets blocked at close quarters

thoughts??

Ravecreative said:
560m away and 170up

it did lose signal momentarily when i flew behind a building 400m away (scary), but didnt go blue screen

also....
thinking about using one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-female-jack ... 0880248343

i currently bend my cloverleaf antenna 90 degrees down, but it does say in the tech sheet not to do this
so i thought it would be a good solution to get the transmission part of the antenna down away from the gimbal (ie almost touching the floor) , as sometimes the signal gets blocked at close quarters

thoughts??
I really don't see a downside to using the right-angle connector. Should work a treat. It gets your radiation pattern more in alignment with your receiver as well.

When you lost the signal on the FPV, did it just go black temporarily or was the image still somewhat visible but with static?

Totally static, no blue

I did almost s** t myself though - ha ha

It's a horrible feeling, you feel totally useless - I panicked for a sec, then throttled up as hard as poss, hoping to clear what was stopping the signal.
Fortunately after 15 seconds or so it came back. Phewww! (200m high)

Like I say, scary!

Ravecreative said:
Totally static, no blue

I did almost s** t myself though - ha ha

It's a horrible feeling, you feel totally useless - I panicked for a sec, then throttled up as hard as poss, hoping to clear what was stopping the signal.
Fortunately after 15 seconds or so it came back. Phewww! (200m high)

Like I say, scary!
As Bart Simpson would say, "Aye, Carumba!!!". I don't know if my ticker could handle the stress.....might have to get the Lilliput just for the peace of mind (waiting to hear back from that other forum member on their experience with the more expensive monitor before I decide.).

Ravecreative said:
5.8 ghz tracking antenna, that's what's needed :)
Yeah, a nice mil-spec, auto-tracker would be sweet. Just fire up the Makerbot! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl