Video and FPV for Phantom 2

Thanks, that would be much appreciated. Is the monitor bright enough for you and can you attach a mushroom antenna to it? I'm looking to purchase FPV system soon (P2 due here tomorrow).

Ravecreative THANKS! Just installed my AVL58 + Mini OSD using your instructions on my Phantom 2 - NO PROBLEM! While not as nice of a wiring job I am very pleased with the outcome. Looking forward to tomorrow's flight test. :mrgreen:

Regards

Max

Ravecreative said:
Just put the monitor on the transmitter

bit of an issue - the monitor seems to have it's own information overlay which you cannot turn off :-(
it is helpful for the battery level, but i'd rather turn it off

still, it's cheap so what can you do

the reception seems to be spot on, and the range isn't bad too

http://www.ravecreative.co.uk/phantom2/photo6.jpg
http://www.ravecreative.co.uk/phantom2/photo7.jpg
http://www.ravecreative.co.uk/phantom2/photo8.jpg
Sweet! I assume that while the overlay is not user selectable, that it doesn't interfere with the DJI OSD Mini display. Looks like it doesn't from the pic. Have you had it out in the sun yet? Brightness OK?

I'm itching to get it out ( the monitor that is - LOL )
the weather is terrible, so i'm just messing around with the electronics and mountings etc

it seems fairly bright, but the shield is a bit small (not shown) so i'm going to print a larger one tonight

there is a little bit of overlap on the top corners of the display, but nothing to worry about really

I've got a lilliput coming, but i'm not sure if i really want it now, as this is pretty good, and really cheap

Ravecreative said:
I'm itching to get it out ( the monitor that is - LOL )
the weather is terrible, so i'm just messing around with the electronics and mountings etc

it seems fairly bright, but the shield is a bit small (not shown) so i'm going to print a larger one tonight

there is a little bit of overlap on the top corners of the display, but nothing to worry about really

I've got a lilliput coming, but i'm not sure if i really want it now, as this is pretty good, and really cheap
Man, you're makin' me want a 3D printer. Which make and model do you have?

Was looking at the weather for your location and understand your dilemma. You should come out here! :lol:

Mate, if that's an offer, i'm on the next flight - LOL

i've got a makerbot replicator 2, and to be honest its one of the best things i ever bought.
no building or setting up, just use it straight outta the box

i love it

That mount on the back of the transmitter, i drew in about 5 mins, then printed in 30 mins - simple

The best thing though is www.thingiverse.com, there's loads of stuff you can print that already been designed. Like prop guards for the P2, fpv holders, theres even loads of quad/tri/octo copters on there, just download them and print your own. People have printed quads and they have video of them flying them. It's sssso addictive.... roll on the next hobby :)

Ravecreative said:
Mate, if that's an offer, i'm on the next flight - LOL

i've got a makerbot replicator 2, and to be honest its one of the best things i ever bought.
no building or setting up, just use it straight outta the box

i love it

That mount on the back of the transmitter, i drew in about 5 mins, then printed in 30 mins - simple

The best thing though is http://www.thingiverse.com, there's loads of stuff you can print that already been designed. Like prop guards for the P2, fpv holders, theres even loads of quad/tri/octo copters on there, just download them and print your own. People have printed quads and they have video of them flying them. It's sssso addictive.... roll on the next hobby :)
Makerbot2 might just have to be my next acquisition. Thingiverse is AMAZING!!!

One more "el cheapo" monitor question...... Have you had a chance to see how it reacts to a weak signal? In other words, does it fail gracefully by slowly going from a good picture eventually to static, or just it just suddenly go to a blue screen when the video becomes too weak?

Ravecreative said:
sorted it

it was the osd from the gopro - how funny!!!
So, the GoPro was generating the OSD and you were able to kill it then?

The blue screen thing worries me.....I want the best of all worlds: built-in battery, built-in receiver, screw-in antennas, and no blue screen. Looks like it might not exist! :roll:

Lilliput 664w with a canon battery on the back.
But it's 3x the cost.

I think for the time being, until the Lilliput turns up, I'm gonna activate the IOC HL and
Hit this and fly it back to me if I lose connection.

Just need to practice a blue screen strategy, just so panic doesn't set in.

FYI

Just did a soak test on all the fpv gear running from full charge

Avl58 tx, mini iosd, gopro 3+ hero black (which charges all the time it's running btw)
and p2 switched on but not flying

The monitor with built in 3.7v 2000mah battery and 5.8ghz receiver (built in)

The monitor lasted just under 2 hours on a full charge
And after 2hrs the p2 was down to 25%

Just shows how much the tx, iosd and gopro pull
No wonder it effects the flight time so much

I might put a switch on the p2 fpv gear, so I can switch it off when I don't want to use it.

Ravecreative said:
Lilliput 664w with a canon battery on the back.
But it's 3x the cost.

I think for the time being, until the Lilliput turns up, I'm gonna activate the IOC HL and
Hit this and fly it back to me if I lose connection.

Just need to practice a blue screen strategy, just so panic doesn't set in.
Yeah pricey, but that monitor looks awesome....and I can also use it with my D800 and Sony camcorder as a confidence monitor or director's feed. Do you know if the antenna is removable?

Ravecreative said:
FYI

Avl58 tx, mini iosd, gopro 3+ hero black (which charges all the time it's running btw)

I might put a switch on the p2 fpv gear, so I can switch it off when I don't want to use it.
Wish there was a way to switch off the charging function to the GoPro. What do you anticipate the hit will be to flight time, 7-10 mins?

Yeh it's gotta be around that amount.

Might be worth using a lightweight lipo to run the fpv.

Also I spoke to lilliput uk and they say the aerial is removable

Ravecreative said:
Yeh it's gotta be around that amount.

Might be worth using a lightweight lipo to run the fpv.

Also I spoke to lilliput uk and they say the aerial is removable
Yup, I was thinking the same thing. It would be a small weight penalty, but would likely give you back several minutes in the air.

Totally new subject....have you done any tests running the GoPro at 2.7K?

Ravecreative said:
FYI

Just flew mine today and got 15.5 mins with identical config on my P2. Temp was 33 degrees. Some really good distance: 550 meters away (2000 ft.) and about 350Meters up. Great for first tries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic