Very strange Litch experience this morning

Reaction score
Last night I worked out a waypoint mission and double-checked it. As always, I put the start point right above me according to where I had planned to be when I started the mission - a field near my home where I've flown a number of missions before without any problem.

This morning I got to the spot where the mission was to begin, put the bird about 100 feet up then loaded the mission, and noticed something odd. The mission I'd constructed the previous evening was a fairly small loop a few hundred yards across, but when it came up this morning, the map had zoomed back, that loop was just a tiny feature in the top right-hand corner and there was a long line, miles long, connecting it to an entirely new point. I was so flustered that I forgot to find out if the point had been added to the start or the finish.

At first I thought that I'd added the point accidentally, the way you do when your finger slips, but I don't think that was it, because I'd never have had the map zoomed back that far.

What I think happened was that Litchi had calculated a vastly inaccurate home point - somewhere miles from anywhere I've even used my P3A - and added it to the start of the mission. I didn't check that at the time, because Litchi doesn't have that helpful audio reminder saying, "Your home point has been updated - please check it on the map". So this is something I'm only surmising with hindsight.

As soon as I got back home, I loaded that mission again and that extra point was gone - the mission was just as I'd planned it the night before.

But that wasn't the only weird thing. Deciding not to trust a waypoint mission, I just flew it around manually, and then the video started behaving oddly. I'd set Litchi to start the video on takeoff and stop it on landing, and it'salways worked perfectly, but suddenly, at about 300ft altitude, I heard "recording stopped". Then a few seconds later, I heard "recording started", and it just alternated between those two all through the flight.

I did a bit of experimentation and found that reducing the throttle (ie losing altitude) caused 'recording stopped' then climbing again caused 'recording started'. But I was at least 100ft up - nowhere near landing - and this had all had started when the bird was far higher.

I'm really at a loss here. There had been no mishaps such as a hard landing after my last successful waypoint mission, and the compass had calibrated successfully first time. It's really worrying - any ideas, anyone?

Stories like this make me hesitant to use litchi. So far no problems, but I haven't run any waypoint missions yet.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Was the extra point anywhere near where you were when you created the mission? You do have to be careful with Litchi, any inadvertent touching of the screen can add a waypoint (usually after the last one already there).
How long did the video record between starts and stops? There is hard file limit to the size of a recording. Continuous recording could be hitting that limit.

Was the extra point anywhere near where you were when you created the mission? You do have to be careful with Litchi, any inadvertent touching of the screen can add a waypoint (usually after the last one already there).
How long did the video record between starts and stops? There is hard file limit to the size of a recording. Continuous recording could be hitting that limit.

The extra point was miles away, so I could not have added it accidentally.

Each video was just 30secs to a minute. Instead of shooting one long video it shot about 16 short ones.

Hmmm... Be very careful. I done a thread earlier about how litchi keeps changing my "RTH" on signal lost to "hover" I think it's all fixed now but scared the hell out if me when I couldn't get it back after a few mins. Thankfully I got signal and hit RTH and it came back. Otherwise.... It would have been lost

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

The extra point was miles away, so I could not have added it accidentally.

Each video was just 30secs to a minute. Instead of shooting one long video it shot about 16 short ones.
The behavior of causing the audible feedback you heard is somewhat normal. On a waypoint mission, that voice can be heard everytime the controller/app losses and regains video signal. Which, subsequently could explain why your changes in altitude had an affect. If you're on a long waypoint mission that extends far away, it's the audible tell I use to know when the aircraft is back in range without having to stare at the rc. Are you sure it recorded a bunch of small files? That would be something new for me.

Sent from my SM-N930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

The behavior of causing the audible feedback you heard is somewhat normal. On a waypoint mission, that voice can be heard everytime the controller/app losses and regains video signal. Which, subsequently could explain why your changes in altitude had an affect. If you're on a long waypoint mission that extends far away, it's the audible tell I use to know when the aircraft is back in range without having to stare at the rc. Are you sure it recorded a bunch of small files? That would be something new for me.

Sent from my SM-N930F using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes, quite sure. I uploaded them to my PC and played each one using Windows Media Player. Several short videos instead of one ten-minute one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31